Sponsored by:

What replaces the X type??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default What replaces the X type??

Or th S type or the 2009 and below XJ??

I don't mean for this to be another "I hate the new Jaguar saloons" post. Those cars are loved and cared by a lot of members, I do realize.

But we can not pretend that Jaguar has not completely shunned the customer looking for a traditionally styled car. Neither the XJ nor the XF or the upcoming X type sized car have any of those attributes desired by a lot of people who bought new Jaguars because how they used to look.

If a person is looking for a new car to replace an X type or S type or 2009 and under XJ, where does one go?

I post this because for me, what ended up being my X type purchase,was going to originally destined to be a new car. But because I was laid of, because I could not find new car I loved, because the X type was beautiful and extremely low cost, and because I thought an X would be a good stable-mate to my other Jaguars.

Now, however, I am again employed, and my X type while very beautiful has not been trouble free. She is 8 years old, has 70k miles and has a few issues that need to be addressed. This has me looking towards the future and what daily driver I will get.

Jaguar, because of everything I stated above, is out of the question (unless I walk out with an F type, and that would leave me with 3 convertibles and still needing a saloon.....and in a homeless shelter).

I don't like BMW although at least they are still reckognizable, but lately, Mercedes has caught my attention. I think the C class is the closest thing for a person wanting to replace the X type with a new compact luxury car. I think it's currently the only thing that comes close to what Jaguar used to embody .

What do you guys think is a good new replacement to an x type for those of us seeking that more distinctive car?

Old 11-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I personally like the new Jags but I agree, they should've kept the classic look on at least one. Maybe it was just time for a change though and a modern look. I would still think some people would still appreciate the classic style. As to which is the right car for you, that depends. Maybe a Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, Subaru, or Porsche?

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-24-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Maserati Ghibli? It'll be available with AWD and looks fairly distinct, though it'll be priced above the X-Type/C-class/3-series/A4 segment. Also, it might not be entirely reliable...

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Spike, unfortunately, almost everyone has gone to the 1 piece headlights for simplicity. So, getting the dual beam look is going to be a hard thing to find. The nearest thing I can think of is you get one of the cars that has the separate high and low beam headlight setups and then you pay a little to have some paint applied to the headlight to add some separation there. But, this would vary based on the car you get as to how much separation you could get.

Unfortunately, that is just how things are. If you like the older styling, your best bet would be to get your hands on one and then possibly do some upgrades to the car to make it what you want. I am sure with a little bit of work, you could make one of the older XJ's take a new 5.0L motor. Then you could get some serious power, better economy and have something that will last you a long, long time. But, what that would cost, I can not even begin to imagine.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Maserati Ghibli? It'll be available with AWD and looks fairly distinct, though it'll be priced above the X-Type/C-class/3-series/A4 segment. Also, it might not be entirely reliable...
I'm a huge Maserati fan. Never owned one of course! I love the new Ghibli. It's a toned down Quatraporte. Problem is the $74k price tag.

Attached Thumbnails What replaces the X type??-2014-maserati-ghibli-front-left-side-view.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
current Maserati design certainly does embody the pre 2009 Jaguar spirit for sure. Price and size of the Ghilbli is not for me but the design esthetic is there for sure.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, unfortunately, almost everyone has gone to the 1 piece headlights for simplicity. So, getting the dual beam look is going to be a hard thing to find. The nearest thing I can think of is you get one of the cars that has the separate high and low beam headlight setups and then you pay a little to have some paint applied to the headlight to add some separation there. But, this would vary based on the car you get as to how much separation you could get.

Unfortunately, that is just how things are. If you like the older styling, your best bet would be to get your hands on one and then possibly do some upgrades to the car to make it what you want. I am sure with a little bit of work, you could make one of the older XJ's take a new 5.0L motor. Then you could get some serious power, better economy and have something that will last you a long, long time. But, what that would cost, I can not even begin to imagine.
Chris, the problem is not the single beam headlights at all . Jaguar did that in the 70's and 80's with the XJS and the XJ40 and I love those cars.…the problem for me is the cookie cutter design in everything but a few cars out there. The C class at least has not lost its personality.

As far as another project car, as great as the idea of transplanting a new 5.0 engine into an older XJ, I already have two projects. Eventually I will need a new, manufacturer warrantied,problem free daily driver to replace my X type.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Spike, you want something that isn't cookie cutter, look up a "Beck Lister". If that don't get your blood pumping, then just jump in a hole. It has a very distinct style to it and if you pick up one of the turn key ones, comes with a warrantee too. They are even down in your neck of the woods. So, picking one up should be fairly easy. The only down side is I would recommend a modification right off the bat (rag top). OH wait, you are needing 4 seats. Oh well, thought it might help. Maybe you can talk them into extending the car some and adding a second row of seats. he he he he he.

If you want something with unique styling, could always look at the Pontiac Aztek. i am sure that will turn some heads.

Unfortunately, everyone is starting to get back into the same styling scheme again and there is nothing truely "beautiful" out there any more that has a semi decent price tag to it. Atleast the new jags are identifiable from the rear. But, even some of the newer cars are starting to copy that look too.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Mark,
I would recommend a Honda Accord or something in that class. You already have two nice fun cars so why not get a dependable, economic and comfortable every day driver that is reasonably priced and will have a good resale value years from now.

I have a friend who is getting an all electric car to use as a every day driver back and forth to work etc. No more expensive fill ups and runs pennies per mile to operate.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 PM

I was going to say Maserati too but thought they were out of the price range. Those cars are sick though. Don't they have Ferrari engines? The new Audi's are nice too though if you are looking at German cars. I was looking at the C-Class a couple years ago for fun because I really like their design... Almost got talked into a lease I probaby couldn't have afforded but it was a nice looking car. Has the touring race car look to it.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You can get a 2005-2006 (or newer) Quattroporte for less than $30K. They are stunning cars. Where I take my car for service they specialize in selling and fixing sports cars, especially Italian ones. They used to be dealers for Alfa, Fiat and Maserati. Occasionally they have one for sale. Interior materials and workmanship are so much better than most cars. Engine IS from Ferrari and looks and sounds beautiful. From what I was told they are generally reliable cars, but the clutch wears out fairly quickly, so if you get caught in a lot of stop and go traffic on your daily commute, probably not the best choice. But from an exclusivity factor and something that you are almost assured no one else you know will ever own and bang for the buck, those cars are hard to top. If I didn't live in the snowbelt I would seriously consider one.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Heh, I read somewhere that the interior trim and dash buttons and stuff starts falling off in Quattroportes when they reach about 5 years of age so my impression of them is kind of like an Alfa Romeo XJR.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Have no idea about that, but I wouldnt mind finding out after five years of ownership. Maybe they have friendly people that can help you with that on the Maserati Forums like on here......not

Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Hi Mark,
I would recommend a Honda Accord or something in that class. You already have two nice fun cars so why not get a dependable, economic and comfortable every day driver that is reasonably priced and will have a good resale value years from now.

I have a friend who is getting an all electric car to use as a every day driver back and forth to work etc. No more expensive fill ups and runs pennies per mile to operate.
I know that would be the sensible thing to do! But driving anything like a Honda, Toyota, Nissan or any of their rebadged higher end nameplates would make my daily driving experience so boring and ugly. Lol.

It does seem like the closest possible new replacement for an X type would be a C class. A used Masserati is still a used car, and I am thinking of a new car . Hopefully my X type can soldier on for a couple of years. Who knows, maybe Jaguar will have a new designer by then.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Spike, if you are after something a bit different, then take a look at the new Lincoln MKZ. The lines on the car I think are going to be more like what you are after. I was following one home the other day and it made me think of you. Check it out. It will have the luxury that you are after and not be a wallet killer either.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

I love the look of the new MKZ, especially the rear of the car. The taillights look great at night.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:29 PM

I like the new Jaguars, but I have no idea how much they run, probably in the $80,000 range? Personally I would look at a Subaru WRX.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think a new x type sized Jaguar will be 80k . It will be more around 40k like the c class and 3 series.

Well I had the paintless dent repair pop out all my dents yesterday and am having the front bumper repainted next week so I guess I am thinking about keeping this car for a while.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, if you are after something a bit different, then take a look at the new Lincoln MKZ. The lines on the car I think are going to be more like what you are after. I was following one home the other day and it made me think of you. Check it out. It will have the luxury that you are after and not be a wallet killer either.
I agree. After a lot of cars unworthy of the Lincoln plate, they finally got one that's just right. That is a great suggestion