Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be your next Jag

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What would be your next Jag

OK, lets assume that you're selling your X and you have had nothing but a joyful experience with it. You decided that you're a Jag person from now on.

What would be your new Jag?

I have decided that a 2008 XJR is the next one. 2007 don't have the fake vent thing on the side and I like that, enough to exepat my car. It has the classic lines on a Jag, similar grill to ours, an awesome lower fascia, and a supercharged V8. I'm not a fan yet of the newest XJ or XK versions. I've seen a number of them on the street, sat in them at the dealer but they just don't strike me as Jaguar like. They're nice, but are missing something to distinguish them as Jags.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would prefer a low mileage S-Type R, fully loaded.. Otherwise my second choice would be a clean XJ/XJR.. The XK's are nice too, but wouldnt be a DD for me since its just a 2 door car.

If I sell my X soon there is a nice XJ that would look very nice in my driveway..

Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Since we really like the X-Type Sportwagon at our house, I thought I'd have look at the upcoming XF wagon. But apparently it won't be available in the US. Guess I'll have to take good care of what's in the garage!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Over the years I've owned 6 Jaguars back to a 56 XK140. Jaguar cars had a history and provenance that was lost in the Ford homologation and globalization. In my opinion the last "Jaguar" Jaguar was the XJ6 (of which I had a 96 version). The X Type is a good modern car that looks like a "Jaguar" and I’ve enjoyed it very much. The modern Jaguars (post 97) are just modern cars that bear the a Jaguar name. To me they are interchangeable with any other modern high performance sedan or sports GT. I recently bought a Volvo C30 and in the future any good car will serve.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM

"The modern Jaguars are just modern cars that bear the a Jaguar name."

I know this is a somewhat widely held opinion and I like the classic look myself.

But with all due respect, it seems a bit unfair. Besides the fact that the S-Type was in planning well before the Ford purchase, did the XKE "look like a Jaguar" when it first came out? Not really - it just looked stunning on its own and now it's a classic.

It's hard to stop the future. I get a kick out of the lyrics to the theme for one of the late night talk shows: "The future's just tomorrow's yesterday." Or, in the words of Yogi Berra: "The future ain't what it used to be."

I think I'll go for a drive now.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, wow! Let's see...

I have a 2007 X-Type in Jaguar Racing Green because I love the color. I had thought about trading that one in if I was to find a nice condition 2008 X-Type in Green. Unfortunately, since mid- to late-2007, the green color was changed to Emerald Fire -- hence no longer a Jaguar Racing Green. I know, the true green would be a British Racing Green, but I like the brighter metallic of the Jaguar Racing Green. Anyway, back to the scenario. I wanted a 2008 since it was the last of the X-Types. However, it won't be called "Jaguar Racing Green." What a dilemma!!!

So, I thought about it for quite a while and decided that I will most likely hold onto the 2007 X-Type and see what the possible new X will be. Based on that, I may consider trading her in on a brand new one in 2012 or 2013. Granted the world doesn't end in 2012, of course.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Wedgewa, I appreciate your taste in cars.... The first estate I looked at was exactly like yours.
I really had almost no interest in the Jags until I spotted a picture of the wagon, then it was around 6-8 months to find one. I had 'outgrown' my British Car phase having suffered through a succession of TR7s and 8s, a couple of MGBs and a Midget, and the Discovery.
But there is really nothing like driving a British car. Whether or not Ford owned them, mind you I would jump off a roof rather than go through the Lucas wiring nightmares I've had so it's probably a blessing on some level, Jaguars will always be Jaguars, the new ones just haven't grown on me. I love the classic look of the front end of the S types, but opted for AWD, then couldn't have anything other than the estate.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Mr. Sidewalkman,

Thanks for the compliment. It's nice to meet like-thinkers. I should mention the fuel-injected TR7 convertible and the GT6+ in my "real" garage (the forum garage does not accept Triumphs). The TR7 (with top down) is my all time favorite car for the coast highway in California. That's several days away from home so I don't get there often enough! I did just drive it down to Del Mar last month for the 2010 Triumphest though.

So my username should be more obvious now.....

Last edited by wedgewa; 11-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well for me my next jag would have to be the xj220 twr why? because that twin turbo v6 can still out run 12 cyclinder monsters of today. jeremy clarkson akes one against a zonda.....not much competition after the xj is a few car lengths ahead. NOW thats engineering. lol If I had the cash and could afford 1 of the 20 twr edition as in my avatar.

If I had to think logically I would go with a super v8 2010 xj, or a 2008 xj, cuase i love the styling i hated the new one but it grew on me.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

04+ X-Type with a manual transmission and a blown engine - so I can strip it and put in a built 3L and race it. <evil grin>

Last edited by chknhwk; 11-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A 2010 XK Coupe for me (actually for my daughter's 16th birthday). It 10 years that is. Yeah I keep cars for a while. I do like the new design more than the old as I couldn't get past the total afterthought rear bumper on the gen 1.

I'm not crazy about the new design of the XJ and XF but I think they were trying for a fresh look to get new blood into the dealerships. It obviously has worked thus far. I think they'll get more traditional Jaguar cues as time goes on. I am hoping for a small awd replacement though otherwise we'll have to go elsewhere for an awd car to replace the X so there is a car for my wife to drive when I'm out plowing snow.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
OK, lets assume that you're selling your X and you have had nothing but a joyful experience with it. You decided that you're a Jag person from now on. What would be your new Jag?
I love the XJR's - 2004 and onward. Black on black. I look for those all the time, and I want to buy one. Classic shape, awesome power.

Or if they ever actually come out with this sexy beast, I might just buy one of these (in black)...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...w_3series.html

Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

probably an XKR Coupe...ahhhhhhhhh, why did you start this?

Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most defenetly an xjr

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 07 X Type. Next upgrade in 2 years will probably be an XJR - 2010.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I didn't like rear tail lights , they're too maseratis
I didn't like the edges to the rear doors ,this is a Jaguar not a muscle Dodge charger mr designers

Veteran Member

I didn't like the edges to the rear doors ,this is a Jaguar not a muscle Dodge charger mr designers

Veteran Member

Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wedgewa
Mr. Sidewalkman,

Thanks for the compliment. It's nice to meet like-thinkers. I should mention the fuel-injected TR7 convertible and the GT6+ in my "real" garage (the forum garage does not accept Triumphs). The TR7 (with top down) is my all time favorite car for the coast highway in California. That's several days away from home so I don't get there often enough! I did just drive it down to Del Mar last month for the 2010 Triumphest though.

So my username should be more obvious now.....
Ha, I should have seen that. I agree, the best top down roaster is the TR7. I've had 4 of them, the last being the last year, 81 with fuel injection and a CAT on it. I brought it up here from California. It was immaculate with around 45K on it. I had it for years eventually passing it down through my kids (3 had it at one time) until one of them killed it. It was a silver limited edition with the blue interior and blue top and factory luggage rack on the trunk. I did a base coat paint job on it and got rid of the black rockers and had 10 coats of clear on it. I drove it down to LA about 5 times, took every possible route and never had any issues except once in Santa Barbara they used gear oil in the transmission when I was in getting an oil change, but I figured it out after one shift and they flushed it out and used the proper ATF in it before it blew and seals or bearings. It was beautiful, I was going to join the Triumph registry but never got around to it. I would still like to find a CA model of an 81 TR8.

Quick Reply: What would be your next Jag