X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would all my gauges just stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would all my gauges just stop working?

As I was driving all the gauges on my instrument cluster just stopped working.. Didn't notice any changes in drivability just no gauges... Turned the car off and back on once and no gauges, turned it off and back on a second time and gauges started working again... Anyone else have this happen

Update....
ok took it to auto zone and they said it is charging out 15v but the waves are all over the place... i'm not very knowledgable on electrical so not sure what that means... I forgot to mention earlier I just put a brand new battery in last week.. I have also been driving around all afternoon and it has not done this since.

Last edited by Bdg6065; 09-14-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

this can be a sign of your alternator going bad actually. Your gauges will be one of the first systems to go if your alternator can't keep up with how much power is being used.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Humm??? If no power is going to your gauges, then I'd question how your car is ever starting because the instrument cluster is the "security brain" of the car.

Get your alternator checked for free at Auto Zone or the like to rule it out. Then I'd check the connections going to the instrument cluster. It involves removing the wooden trim and a couple of screws, but nothing hard.

I actually hope for your sake that it turns out to be the alternator because it's far cheaper to replace than the instrument cluster. To match your milage, dealer needs to order it from Jaguar directly and with labor and all, you'd be looking at $1500. I know because mine was going bad and that's what the quote was. I ended up looking forever for a used one with close milage (still came 3K over) and then having a dealer program it (only they can do it) for $250.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
acerek (09-18-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine did that early this past summer. Happened one time and haven't had any trouble since

Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It happened to my X-Type a couple of times (complete instrument panel dead), and then within weeks the battery died completely. Since changing the battery it has been perfect. I think this is a warning sign that your battery is about to die, any second now, perhaps overnight, without warning...

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation x-type cluster replacement

I wish i would've seen this thread earlier. I just bought a used inst. cluster from ebay (almost new) and i need to replace it. I saw that Spielnicht replaced his. Can you give me a few pointer on how to go about doing it. is there a diagram that i might download. the dealer wanted $3800 to replace and install new one. Can anyone help!!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Removing the old one and installing the new [used] one is very easy. Just pop-up off the wooden trim (from driver air vent to center air vents) with a butter knife. It's just clipped in. Once you do that, you'll notice two screws under the instrument cluster. Once you have those off and plastic trim, you'll notice two more screws holding the actual instrument cluster. Remove those and then reach behind to unclip two huge connectors.

With that said, all this work be done in vein. Why? Because you still need the dealer to program the new [used] one and you obviously won't be able to drive there as the car won't start It took me a month to find a dealer that A) admitted that you can install a used one and B) agreed to do it. Other dealers refused because they thought I was pulling a mileage scam (even though new one I got had 3K more). All in all, the dealer charged me ~$250 and made a notice in the Carfax database about the difference in old and new mileage.

I went from the standard cluster to the enhanced one (with computer). If that's what you're doing, the plugs are one and the same. Only thing you need is a new headlight switch.

Again, I got a used cluster with close mileage to my original. If the mileage difference is big for you, that might raise red flags for the dealer and if and when you go to sell the car.

Speaking of which, I have a cluster w/ computer for sale if anyone is interested. It's got 67K on it and it's for =>2004. PM for price.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by acerek
I wish i would've seen this thread earlier. I just bought a used inst. cluster from ebay (almost new) and i need to replace it. I saw that Spielnicht replaced his. Can you give me a few pointer on how to go about doing it. is there a diagram that i might download. the dealer wanted $3800 to replace and install new one. Can anyone help!!

Last edited by spielnicht; 09-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
acerek (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spielnicht, thanks for the info. I know I have to take it back to the dealer. The Service Advisor is aware that I bought and installed a used one. I had the car checked at the dealer before I bought the inst. cluster from Ebay (almost new) so they are aware of the problem and also that I don't have $3800.00 to replace it with a new one. They told me all they have to do now is reprogram the system and new keys that I also bought on Ebay. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by acerek; 09-19-2012 at 03:22 PM.