X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why was the x-type discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why was the x-type discontinued

I really love the x-type why did they not keep it I mean it was the best selling entry level right?? I would love to see if jaguar brings the x-type back out for 2016 I really hope they do!!! Who else wants to see that I know that I do

Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

See the XE..

Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>See the XE..

Too bad it took them 8 years to do it!
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
'08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2

Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 PM

I've already seen it I really don't are to much for it is a so so.... for me

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Doing a little bit of research, the X-Type was discontinued due to not reaching sales expectations which resulted in a massive money loss for Jaguar. I also feel (not that I have found this written anywhere) that the X-Type was using dated body styling and that when the new body style came out, there was no need to keep the X-Type around. There would have been even more money spent on a car that they were loosing money on. With the turning around of the world economy, Jaguar is hoping that it is now the time to "re-release the X-Type", aka, the XE. But, notice they are not calling it an "X-Type". There was too much negativity to the X-Type due to too many people associating it as a Ford (however true or false this may be, the perception was there). With Tata owning the company now, no one is going to draw a comparison with the new XE and some other vehicle (except for maybe the F-Type, but that is a different story in itself).

Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup- nothing screams "sport and elegance" like Tata Motors! Oh well, I'm with Jags-xj; the XE is kinda bland. The F Type is wicked cool, though. I hope my X Type lasts a long time!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

A lot of people in the US probably don't know is that the X-Type actually stayed in production until 2010MY, with the last car being build end of 2009, they just stopped the sales in the US early because, sales were low, apparently.

It was given a facelift along the lines of the X358 XJ, in order to transition to the new family look of the XF and the new X351 XJ. You never got that car stateside.

Had a direct replacment of the X-Type been in development at the time, it would have pretty much ended up looking like the XE does now anyhow, sharing the same family design cues as the XF and the new XJ.

The classic four-headlights curvy Jag shape has gone, and it's not coming back.

It's got nothing to do with Tata either, the XF was designed under Ford ownership, by Ian Callum in 2005, this started the whole new Jag look. If "traditionalists" want to whinge about Jaguar's new look, they are about 10 years too late...

Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags-xj
I really love the x-type why did they not keep it I mean it was the best selling entry level right?? I would love to see if jaguar brings the x-type back out for 2016 I really hope they do!!! Who else wants to see that I know that I do
X-Type is coming back, but renamed as the XE. In all seriousness, I do wish that they could've at least given it a proper sendoff by making an X-Type R for the final year, there were tons of prototypes, including Supercharged 3.0 V6, and twin-electric supercharged 3.0 V6. the F-Type S' engine in an X-Type is a dream for me.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
The classic four-headlights curvy Jag shape has gone, and it's not coming back.

It's got nothing to do with Tata either, the XF was designed under Ford ownership, by Ian Callum in 2005, this started the whole new Jag look. If "traditionalists" want to whinge about Jaguar's new look, they are about 10 years too late...
All very true. There won't be a traditionally styled Jaguar any time soon. Apperantly it was decided not even one vehicle in their line up could keep the bonnet flutes and round headlights that Jaguars have had all the way back to the early "Mark" cars. They have gone "mainstream" and decided to make all their cars different sizes of the same thing. And the new "Jag look" is a term very loosely used since it's the same look that many other manufacturers have.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Zalami, I would not call the new XE the updated X-Type. They are not really related to each other than being a midsize car made by jaguar. That is where the similarities stop. The XE is really a "sister car" to the F-Type. They will share a lot of body parts and whatnot. Nothing from the X-Type is carrying over.

I would liken this to Chevy "re-releasing" the Trans Am. It would be based off of the Camaro, but when you compare it to the Trans Am made in say 2000, it would have nothing in common. In the case of the XE, Jaguar knows there was too much negativity towards the X-Type, so, they are trying to divorce themselves from all that.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Pick still the x-type over a lot of Jaguars but the XJ is such a beast I can't wait till mine is fixed and back in my drive way I sideswipped a sign mirror gone minor dents and scratches done to the passenger side but It will be ok!!!