Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer fluid heaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Windshield washer fluid heaters

Going into my third winter with the X, I've gotta ask. Has anyone living in the frigid part of the world that does not have the "cold climate package" (heated seats, DSC, heated windshield)come across their windshield washer fluid freezing in the lines. The fluid in the tank never freezes just somewhere in the lines. Yes, I have even used the -40 degree stuff, and out & about at -20 I get nothing from the nozzles. Park back in the garage and after a while it's fine. Not a big problem except when the outside temperature drops drastically and we get freezing rain that sticks like glue.

I was thinking of installing one of those fluid heaters but I'm a bit laothe to add any extra devices to our electronics. Has anyone ever used one on any car/truck? Do they work?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Windshield washer fluid heaters

I live in PA but since my car was a southern car, it doesn't have the cold weather package. I've only had issues with ice blocking the nozzles, never had an issue where the line iced up, although I don't use the washers much for de-icing. I would think that underhood heat would eventually thaw a frozen line.

Try some rain-x or similar product to help keep that glue rain from sticking.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the washer fluid as a de icer is not good for the wipers. I have the heat package, but I also use this rain x de icer spray. When I come to my car I start it, turn on my heated windshield and defroster,then I walk around the car and spray the liquid on all of the windows. By the time I am done one lap around the car the stuff turns the ice into a slush and I wipe with my snow brush. As Chris X said, use rain x on all of your windows and when ice forms on yoru windshield you can slide it off with your hands as it forms a protective coating.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Honest. I'm a Prairie guy so -30 is common for me in January as well. What's also common is going from -20 to plus 10 in a day and vice versa. That's when the freezing rain has been a problem. I park in a heated garage and seldom haveANY snow or ice on the hood. Only use the washer when I come across a situation like the freezing rain(can't even scrape that stuff so a liquid to melt it is the best)and/or really poor visbilty. Push the botton and no spray. Get home without crashing and a half hour later...spray's fine. That leads me to think it's freezing up somewhere? Maybe it is just the nozzles? I'll have to give it a try on a less hazardous, clear cold day and see what happens.