X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield washer fluid, no pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield washer fluid, no pressure

when i try to clean the windshield using the washer fluid in the car, it does not come out on the driver's side sprinklers and the passenger side sprinklers it comes out with very minimum pressure, the washer fluid does not make it to the windshield. any ideas what the proplem might be. I did fill up the washer fluid tank. thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The tube to the washer jets comes up on the right side at the base of the windshield (windscreen). On my car it got out of place and closing the hood (bonnet) pinched it.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

My X-Type isn't here at the moment to check but, on my Saab and Mazda there's a plastic check valve (or two) that's in-line and is intended to hold pressure in the system when it's off. It's a very simple design and is basically a rubber membrane and tiny spring sandwiched between two plastic discs. My hunch is the membrane is torn and leaking. The valve can be replaced but I was able to repair one in my Saab with a small piece of thin rubber cut to fit (from a pair of yellow rubber gloves).

The valve should be located close to the washer jets. It splits apart but be sure to keep track of the spring.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

MosDef, have you checked for leaks? Fluid goes to passenger side first and then drivers. A small leak would mean not enough pressure to get it all the way there. Otherwise, your pump isn't strong enough for the whole system. Leak is more likely as pumps usually just fail all together.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MosDefXType
when i try to clean the windshield using the washer fluid in the car, it does not come out on the driver's side sprinklers and the passenger side sprinklers it comes out with very minimum pressure, the washer fluid does not make it to the windshield. any ideas what the proplem might be. I did fill up the washer fluid tank. thanks
Where the tubes cross over and the windshield end of the hood there are 2 little 1 way valve, my pressure sucked too so I pulled the valves off, blew threw them to make sure they worked and then checked all the tubes to make sure they weren't kinked. I then pushed the washer button without having the tubes connected to the sprayers, then hooked it all up and it's good as gold now.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Where the tubes cross over and the windshield end of the hood there are 2 little 1 way valve, my pressure sucked too so I pulled the valves off, blew threw them to make sure they worked and then checked all the tubes to make sure they weren't kinked. I then pushed the washer button without having the tubes connected to the sprayers, then hooked it all up and it's good as gold now.
i will try your solution on Saturday and will give you the feed back. thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Default i think

I think I found the problem with the wash fluid pressure. Apparently the small pipes/tubes which are attached to the hood and take the washer fluid to the jets/sprinklers detached/broke. It looks like there were connected using some small plastic “joiners”. Does anyone know where I can purchase these pipes/tubes? Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MosDefXType
I think I found the problem with the wash fluid pressure. Apparently the small pipes/tubes which are attached to the hood and take the washer fluid to the jets/sprinklers detached/broke. It looks like there were connected using some small plastic “joiners”. Does anyone know where I can purchase these pipes/tubes? Thanks
Go to Autozone or something, you can find and use pretty much anything they have, Jag uses liuttle one way valves but you don't need them, anything will do.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Go to Autozone or something, you can find and use pretty much anything they have, Jag uses liuttle one way valves but you don't need them, anything will do.

thanks will autozone. will let you know.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go to a fish tank shop.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Thanks very much. It was the same case for me. Mine too was out of place and pjnched under the bonet. Thanks a ton. simple things like these.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts
Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

MosDef: I have had all the problems the guys have mentioned. I removed the two check valves. I removed each spray head, blew air through them from the outside to the supply hole. As the hoses deteriorates (or crap got in the reservoir) it gets caught in the very tiny holes in the heads.You can us a small needle first then air. You can also adjust the direction of the spray with a needle(just turn it up/down/sideways with the needle). I fixed all of mine this way and then had the hose pinch at the hood hinge, now works fine.