Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-type not starting

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and I am already posting a problem. I hope someone can help me.

I currently own a 2002 Jaguar x-type 2.5 and it is not starting. I was driving it one day and it just died immediately with no warning. After waiting on the side for 15-20 minutes it started back up again. This happened on a few occasions. Now my car won't start at all and it's just sitting. If I spray starter fluid into the intake manifold the car will start but die immediately after.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and if you need more information I can give you them to the best of my abilities.

Thank you!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd start with the fuel pump...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like fuel system to me. Try your fuel filter before anything else as this is the first thing to wear out and the cheapest to replace. The starter fluid illustrates that you have a spark, but you aren't getting fuel (possibly air, but not common.) You might also have clogged injectors, but start first with fuel filter. That's what I would do, and did on my 99 forester when it had a similar problem

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have already replaced the fuel filter and I still have the same problem. I was thinking about the fuel pump... does anyone know how much it cost to replace if I take it in?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

sorry the fuel filter didn't help. It's always worth a shot though! What you will need to do now is to test your fuel pressure. In the words of thermo "There is a Schrader valve under the hood that you can test the fuel pressure with. It should be in the range of 40-50 psi with the engine not running and 30-40 psi with the engine running.
Keep in mind that you have a pump that feeds the motor and a second fuel pump that transfers fuel from the passenger side to the driver's side. So, make sure you replace the correct pump if you end up going this route."
If you test your fuel pressure, and it is either low or there is no fuel, I would place my bets on your fuel pump. If you are car savvy, it is not that hard (just smelly) to replace a fuel pump.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Yeah the fuel filter was definitely worth a shot. It was an inexpensive and simple replacement. Wish it worked though!! I will be testing the pressure in the fuel rail in the next few days, then I'll find out what is wrong.

Someone was also telling me that it could be my crankshaft/camshaft position sensor. Do you think it could be that?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM

Hi I am having a similar problem.

Only had the car three weeks, and after having it a couple of days it would struggle to start first thing in the morning. Once it is warmed up it starts with no problem.

My local garage checked the computer codes, then cleaned out the egr valve and it ran fine for a week, until Sunday. So it is back at the garage waiting for them to have a look again, probably tomorrow. I did check for codes myself but only P1111 showing on Sunday.

I will wait until they have had a look but will probably get them to swap the egr out.
Any advice welcome, thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Default Going down the fuel pump route now

OK latest is that the fuel pump in the tank seems to be intermittently pumping at ignition, so a new one of them on order. (A new one seems to only be available from Jaguar and is not cheap, £220)

Three questions on this:
a) Firstly does this sound right, the car runs great once it starts. Would the car not splutter out at times if the fuel pump was faulty (although I have only had it a couple of weeks)
b) Should I get them to change anything else whilst the tank is dropped (e.g. how reliable is the second pump for pumping passenger side to driver side?)
c) I read that some jaguars have a fuel pump control module, but some are just controlled from the ECU. Does any one know what my model used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by Tonks; 08-23-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tonks, I bet the shop is seeing the pump run for a few seconds right after the ignition is switched to the RUN position and then cutting out. THis is normal. That is how the fuel pump is supposed to run in this car (and most other cars I am familiar with). As for other things to change while the tank is down, can't think of any. Granted, I would probably recommend a good wiping out of the inside of the tank just to get rid of any debris that may have made its way into the tank over the years. This will help ensure a long life to the new fuel pump if you still install it.

As for the fuel pump module, both answers are correct. The 2.0L petrol engine just has a relay powering the pump. On the 3.0L and 2.5L motors, you have a computer that controls the fuel pump. So, depending on the motor you have, you may or may not have one. In your case, since you have the 2.5L motor, you have the fuel pump module.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Default 2006 Xtype 3.0 starting & running poorly??

I just got an 2006 Xtype 3.0 with 139k miles. Starts and idles poorly. Will barely accelerate in neutral. Engine is struggling to make rpm, sounds like it is strangling for air or maybe fuel?
Any ideas?? thanks

Old 12-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The first step in any diagnosis is to get the codes read and post them. Poor idle and struggling to make RPM can be fuel, air or spark. Thus codes are important. Also, if you can get them post the Short term fuel trims and the Long term fuel trims.
You don't want to start throwing parts at it as that can be extremely expensive and still not resolve your problems.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Default Poor running X type

Yeah, I just got this car from a guy that threw parts at it to no avail. We were in a hurry, but did check codes and it generated 23 codes. I didn't get to write them down, but remember misfire on all 6 cylinders.
I'll get details on Monday. Thanks for help.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I would be checking the ground wires for the coils. They all tie into a common point that is known for corroding, leading to a poor spark issue. If you follow the cable runs from the coils, you should see where the ground wires attach to the top of the engine block. Remove the bolt, clean up all the connections so that all the terminals are silver in color and clean up the block surface. You can then bolt it back together and see what you have then.

I would also say to pull the front coil by the passenger headlight and see if you have oil in the plug well. That could possibly lead to misfires too. Granted, normally you only see the oil in the rear plug wells. But, depending on what someone did, hard to say what you might find.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

To have that many stored codes there is a good chance that a number of them are old. Might be best to clear all of them and then see which ones come back. That way you know what you are dealing with right now and that will allow you to focus on what is happening now.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
I would be checking the ground wires for the coils. They all tie into a common point that is known for corroding, leading to a poor spark issue. If you follow the cable runs from the coils, you should see where the ground wires attach to the top of the engine block. Remove the bolt, clean up all the connections so that all the terminals are silver in color and clean up the block surface. You can then bolt it back together and see what you have then.

I would also say to pull the front coil by the passenger headlight and see if you have oil in the plug well. That could possibly lead to misfires too. Granted, normally you only see the oil in the rear plug wells. But, depending on what someone did, hard to say what you might find.
Thanks for the advice, we'll check the grounds out, etc. Probably get back at it on Monday,

Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks, the car is new to me, so we will clear codes before we try to address problems. Once we get a list of current codes I plan to post them for you folks to input on.
Thanks again

Old 12-20-2017, 05:57 PM

We know a little more now. Old codes were misfire and O2 sensor codes. We found that MAP sensor was broke. Replaced it and installed new Autolite spark Plugs. Engine starts and idles slightly better. We check exhaust ports with IR Gun. Rear bank warms up, front bank is not. It appears to be running on only 3 rear cylinders. Front coil is firing and we have fuel flow/pressure. Spark Plug already black after only running 2 or 3 minutes. Compression seems to be lower on front, ~100-120 psi depending on how many cyles. Cam timing??? FYI engine has 139k miles.