X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type resurrecton

Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question x type resurrecton

It's been over a year since the x type was moved and I am now getting it back up and running. A couple of problems have come to light, two front springs snapped whilst it was stationary. These springs will be replaced tomorrow.
The engine management light was on when I mothballed it but the codes showed it to be a knock sensor on bank 2. This was replaced with another knock sensor albeit second hand. The raving restrictions have stopped however the light is still on. I am wondering if this light will switch off after a few runs or is the limp mode likely to return.
I am also wondering if the light could be caused by a failed coil / spark plug. The car sounds about normal and pulls normally.
Could a failing fuel filter cause the problem? It was last changed a few years ago?
I am going to change the fuel filter tomorrow plus oils.
Can the coils be tested to see if they are functional and if so how?
Sorry for all the questions in one go and thank you in advance for any answers.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 AM

Doing some research into this, it appears that a dirty fuel filter can cause the car run poorly and cause debris to build up on the metal leading to activation of the knock sensor. The filters apparently have a bypass area so that when they get dirty, they do not starve the car of fuel but supply it with unfiltered fuel instead. some fuels are better than others. Time for a filter change I think.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Your problem could be as simple as stale Gas (petrol)

Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
Your problem could be as simple as stale Gas (petrol)
Cheers Paul. I put a new tank of premium unleaded in there just in case. I've removed the fuel filter and at best it is 9 years old and at worst it has never been changed. The fuel filter was corroded to bits but still had a tape with the jaguar logo and serial numbers on it. On a positive note, the engine light is still on however the p code indicating the knock sensor is off.
For reference the fuse for the fuel pump is in the passenger fuse box. Little 20A yellow fuse.
Hope that helps someone.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Would be a good idea to post the year and engine type you have to make it easier for others to help diagnose your issue. Would also be a good idea to post the exact codes you are getting.

Have to cleared the codes you had before doing the repairs? If not, what you see might be old stored codes. Best to clear the codes and post any that come up after that. If you fixed the issue and did not clear the code the engine light would still stay on until you reached a certain amount of driving cycles. Then teh light would go out on its own.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM

Hi alphadude. The car is. 2002 2.1 petrol. Owned from new. I'm going to clear the codes and review and get back to you. I have an abs failure code on the drivers right but that is because the cable somehow touched the inner rim of the wheel and wore through the wire.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 PM

i can now report that there are no engine management codes at all now other than that of the known faulty abs sensor.
It does show a p1000 code but I assume that i have to run through the 5 cycles for this to disappear. Not sure why the engine light is on though if there are no codes that should illuminate it.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if there are ABS codes then it still registers as a fault. Replace the sensor and then see what the codes are.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Replace the abs wire

Originally Posted by Lubino Do Rego
i can now report that there are no engine management codes at all now other than that of the known faulty abs sensor.
It does show a p1000 code but I assume that i have to run through the 5 cycles for this to disappear. Not sure why the engine light is on though if there are no codes that should illuminate it.
If you replace the abs wire that is bad the lights will go off. Not sure where your at but i have a few of them if you need one.
Thanks and good luck,
The Dr

Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dr dome
If you replace the abs wire that is bad the lights will go off. Not sure where your at but i have a few of them if you need one.
Thanks and good luck,
The Dr
Thanks of the offer. I am a little far away from you in Scotland. I am replacing the shocks at the same time so have time to wait for a wire to come in. It's on order.