X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type transfer case identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default x type transfer case identification

so i just bought an 04 awd x without dsc...
i live in one of the snowiest regions of the us.
if the open diff transfer case doesn't cut the mustard i will be on the hunt for a 02-03 tc with visc. coupler. how do i tell which case is which? part#? or is there a visible physical difference ?
a side by side pic would be great. thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

All 02 and 03 will have the viscuous coupling. The newer transfer case wasn't made until 2004. I doubt switching transfer cases will give you DSC. It is an electronic control system. See the attached definition from the shop manual.

Attached Thumbnails x type transfer case identification-dsc.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
All 02 and 03 will have the viscuous coupling. The newer transfer case wasn't made until 2004. I doubt switching transfer cases will give you DSC. It is an electronic control system. See the attached definition from the shop manual.
right. my question is how do i identify an early transfer case so i can have the viscus coupler. adding dsc is WAAAY to much work.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:30 PM

i fugure many 02-03 cars have had theres replaced with non vc units. i need to know how to tell the two apart.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Visually across all models there is no difference. It is unlikely an 02 or 03 was updated to the new unit. It's hard to guess how many went bad during the warranty period. The one interesting note if you check out SNG Barratt web site they are differentiated by VIN numbers.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:57 PM

i had read on other posts here that 02-03 cars were getting the newer non vc cases after the change over occured in early 04 because they were told it was an upgraded part. regardless, there has to be a way to tell the difference between the two, or jaguar themselves wouldn't know which case they had in their hand. i fear buying a used one from an 03 car that was changed to an 04 unit at some point in history without being noticed or documented by the owner. there MUST be a part # somewhere that differentiates the two. hopefully someone knows! LOL maybe I'll call SNG and see what they say. thanks for the help so far.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

If you are buying NEW there is a part number difference. The transfer case is still available in both versions. If you are buying USED then you have to take it apart to tell the difference. There are no part numbers stamped on the case and no visual differences.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Give us a call with your VIN and we will tell you which is for your specific model. Also as a sidenote we are the most competitively priced supplier on reconditioned transfer boxes. All of which are refurbished with all new internals by the original manufacturer in England.

Regards
SNG

Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having replaced my TC and trans in my 2004 X-type at 108,000 miles,(the trans and TC self destruct at 100,000 any Jaguar dealer mechanic will tell you this). These 2 items are VIN number specific. You just can't pick up a trans at the pic a part yard and put it in. My trans came from Texas and TC from Michigan.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want to know for sure, jack up one side of the car so one front wheel and one rear wheel are off the ground. Put it in park and emergency break off. Try to turn one wheel by hand, front or back. If you have the viscous coupling the wheel will be hard to turn. It will turn but with a lot of force and only slowly. The other wheel will turn in the reverse direction.

If you do not have the viscous coupling the wheel will turn easily. The other wheel will also spin.

Pete.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 AM

thanks for the help y'all. i picked up my "new" 04 x last night, (in a blizzard of course), and it goes awesome in the snow! it is an open diff transfer case and NO dsc or traction control. with decent kelly all seasons i can't get stuck! it responds very well to throttle input, meaning that if you are easy on it it will pull straight up a slippery slope with barely any wheel spin... on the flip side, if you nail it, it breaks the rear tires loose first but still gets you moving in a Tokyo drift fashion! i tried to get one wheel to break loose and "steal all the torque " but i couldn't. it's not "limp" in the snow as some posts on this site may suggest. it's not a jeep quadratrac with posi, but it is more than capable it the lake effect snow we get here off lake ontario(18" yesterday alone!) so long story short, i don't feel it necessary to swap the case with a weaker viscous infused case. on another note, mr. clean magic eraser will clean almost anything off your ivory colored leather and vinyl!!