Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type wont start

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for ideas/ help to get my Cat back on the road.

She's a 2002 Xtype V6 auto with 131K miles on her.

I parked her up in my garage one night, after just filling up with petrol, left her for a day and then tried to start her. That's when nothing happened, in a really bad way.

She sounds like shes trying to start but she doesn't fire. I was told by a not very helpful friend that it might be the chains, I have disproved this as I striped her and the chains are still attached and not slack, Anyway we didn't believe this as she wast making any horrible noises.

I plugged her in and she has no new codes (she does have one for a lamda sensor)

I replaced the battery and still no change.

When you move the key to position 2 the fuel pumps the fuel up and then you get a strange buzzing sound for a few seconds from in and around the coolant reservoir (not the reservoir itself but that general direction).

I'm running out of ideas on what to check, has anyone come across this before or have any ideas.

Any help would be gratefully received

Old 09-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I would do a simple test. Remove the air cleaner and then spray a small "poff" of starting fluid in the hose going to the throttle body.

Try to start it. If it starts to run a bit, that is telling you that you have spark and no fuel.

If it does not try to run pull a plug and see if they are wet (your getting fuel) and most likely not getting spark.

Start (no pun) simple...

Old 09-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Queenie,

The buzz you hear could it be from the throttle body?
Try removing the the large air pipe from the throttle body that goes to the air filter. does the valve open easy when you apply light pressure or does it feel sticky could just need a careful clean. also have a friend in the car press down on the accelerator. does the butterfly valve on the throttle body open?
check the connectors etc.....

Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Larry and Paul,

Will give both your suggestions a go... and come back to you hopefully with good news, really appreciate the help

Many Thanks

Queenie