XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

First Service Interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Service Interval

I bought my XE in June and it currently had 3950 miles on it.

The paper service manual book says the first service is due @ 1 year or 10,000 miles

My info screen says that service is due when I start my car. (it said due shortly for a while before)

Who to believe?

Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you follow the manual. My car is doing the exact same thing. It says service is due in 60 miles and it only has 3,040 miles on it and the 1 year period isn't up until 3/31/18. From reading other posts, it seems the car says service is due much earlier than it really is.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Call the dealer and ask them. Service is covered under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (01-21-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had my car in for service as the service warning was on 3 months and 4k miles after picking it up. Despite the light being on they said the car wasn't due for service. There is a timer that gets set when the vehicle is first delivered so if it sits on the lot for a bit before you purchase it, you will have your light come on before you feel it should. In my case it was almost 9 months which makes me a bit leary that the oil will be in the car for about 22 months before getting changed. They reset the timer (which cleared the service warning) and told me to come back in August.

NewLester de Rocin (01-21-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter75
I just had my car in for service as the service warning was on 3 months and 4k miles after picking it up. Despite the light being on they said the car wasn't due for service. There is a timer that gets set when the vehicle is first delivered so if it sits on the lot for a bit before you purchase it, you will have your light come on before you feel it should. In my case it was almost 9 months which makes me a bit leary that the oil will be in the car for about 22 months before getting changed. They reset the timer (which cleared the service warning) and told me to come back in August.
One of the nice things about Jaguar choosing the Casterol Edge Professional Synthetic is that the synthetic will not "seperate" like old oils of the past just by sitting there for a year, so I would not be concerned at all about your oil 'aging' in the lot.

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/castrol.html

Guppydriver, my 2017 manual indicated the first service interval is due at 16K miles or one year of ownership...whichever comes first. I just finished my annual at 15.900Mi. Perhaps you should call your dealer to verify.

And to ALL 6 cylinder owners...be sure to check you oil levels every two thousand miles at least..this engine likes to take a half quart of oil every month or two with regular/heavy driving. And it will take more if you like the gas pedal.

Last edited by Austin7; 01-19-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:02 PM

I called the dealer to get his thoughts and he said don't worry about the notification. Jaguar won't reimburse them the cost of the service if you bring it in more than 29 days before the one year anniversary. Just FYI.

mosesbotbol (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
One of the nice things about Jaguar choosing the Casterol Edge Professional Synthetic is that the synthetic will not "seperate" like old oils of the past just by sitting there for a year, so I would not be concerned at all about your oil 'aging' in the lot.
Just bought Castrol 10-60 Synthetic for my Aston and it's about $13 a quart at discount auto parts stores...

Old 01-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrus
I called the dealer to get his thoughts and he said don't worry about the notification. Jaguar won't reimburse them the cost of the service if you bring it in more than 29 days before the one year anniversary. Just FYI.
I would pay for an oil and filter out of pocket. Regardless of what dealer tells you, if you go over year or miles JLR will void the engine warranty. More so, a small number of AJ V6 and V8 supercharged engines reportedly was run dry and destroyed as a result of blow-by and waiting too long between oil changes.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
I would pay for an oil and filter out of pocket. Regardless of what dealer tells you, if you go over year or miles JLR will void the engine warranty. More so, a small number of AJ V6 and V8 supercharged engines reportedly was run dry and destroyed as a result of blow-by and waiting too long between oil changes.
I hear you. In my case, the indicator went on at 3,050 miles/8 months. Nowhere near the required interval. I also checked the oil level and its fine.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

There is an oil quality sensor mounted in bottom of oil sump - if its reading the quality is low, this message will pop up.

Also - have been seeing this lately with Land Rover, in regards to this message, there is a software update for Instrument Cluster, but I believe its only limited to Diesel engines, as they are more prone to oil dilution from fuel.

I would ask the dealer to check your VIN ( they just need last 8, or your registration ) for bulletins and see if anything might be related. Campaigns, Service Actions, and UPS's will be VIN specific.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
There is an oil quality sensor mounted in bottom of oil sump - if its reading the quality is low, this message will pop up. .....
My XK and other contemporary Jaguar models have exactly the same setup.

There's an Oil LEVEL Sensor. This only measures QUANTITY - it does nothing to measure the QUALITY of the oil.

The Service Indicator is a calculated value which should be set at PDI and reset at each subsequent service.

An upcoming mileage to service countdown (from 2000 miles to 0 miles) will be displayed in the Message Centre, each time the ignition is switched on. When the mileage to service countdown reaches 0 miles, then the Service Required message will be displayed every time the ignition is switched on.

I would be very careful not to exceed recommended service intervals at the appropriate Miles OR Time interval (whichever applies). Jaguar are noted for applying warranty terms to the letter.

Graham

Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 AM

I think what many people are saying is that the message pops up long before the required service interval. This appears common in the UK forums too. Like I said, I contacted the dealer and they said ignore it and come in when you hit the one year mark (I'm never going to come close to the mileage mark).

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

There's an Oil LEVEL Sensor. This only measures QUANTITY - it does nothing to measure the QUALITY of the oil.
More so, it doesn't seem to work. Few people that suffered engine failure due to low oil reported that dash didn't warn them about low oil level or low oil pressure.

GGG (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
More so, it doesn't seem to work. Few people that suffered engine failure due to low oil reported that dash didn't warn them about low oil level or low oil pressure.
I agree with you. It's lunacy no longer having a dipstick.

Checking oil level via a sensor (which may or may not be working properly) with a hot engine that has stood for a minimum 10 minutes can never be as accurate or convincing as a dipstick reading on a cold engine with the vehicle standing on level ground.

At least the dipsticks worked. Jaguar have a dreadful history with oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges which were little more than decoration. Their solution - get rid of them!

Graham

Old 01-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrus
I don't think that's true, but anyways take it in for something else along the side so that your time isn't wasted. I'm going for my blown speakers and the service light. Had the car for about 6 months am at 5500 miles and the service light has been on for about 4 months

Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Took my car in and was told to take it back around plus minus one month from when I took over the lease. As others have stated, ignore it unless you hit 16k miles or 1 year.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Reviving this old thread.

I recently had my first one year service (at 4100 miles) on my 35t. When I go to see the oil level on the dash, it says OK but there is an orange, vertical bar that goes about 2/3 of the way to full. Should it be closer to the full mark or is it OK to say OK? The manual shows a picture of the bar all the way to the top.

(Why don't they have a dipstick??)

Last edited by AZBob; 08-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.