XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What made you select the XE over other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question What made you select the XE over other cars?

So, what made you guys buy the XE over any other cars?

For me it was the first time I seen the XE on display at the NYC Auto show.
At the time I was on my 2nd XFR and wasn't going to stick with the brand and select something else when I was ready just because I was bored with the brand.
then I seen this super sexy fully loaded Red XE with the 20's on it at the auto show and was blown away back in 2014/2015. Sad to say it didn't come to market here in the USA that year and I sold my XFR and bought a different brand.

Then the next show came around again and I don't think it landed at the dealers yet but it could have and I still drooled over it and decided to look into the XE when I was ready in the fall. I was already shopping for the new Infiniti Q60 400 Red Sport AWD fully loaded ($65k sticker) in red with red interior and carbon fiber. It was perfect in every way but I couldn't find any back in September 2016.
They had a good deal at the time 0-1.9% APR I think for 60 months and I knew a few people at local dealerships who would've gave me a good amount off sticker and some free service visits. But I just couldn't locate one fully equipped.

So I went to look for the XE and I ran into the same problem, I just couldn't find a fully loaded ($65k Sticker) unit anywhere but except 1 dealer but it was in Odyssey red and missing the Carbon interior and black pack I wanted. I contacted the dealer anyway and I was able to make a smoking good deal at a local dealer with no hassle at all and have been pretty much happy ever since.

I must say, the XE I got didn't have exactly what I wanted but was close enough and I think it fits my needs and lifestyle more than the Q60 would've even though I have a love for the Q60 still knowing that. Now if I can just get all these small bugs and glitches fixed soon I will be 100% happy with my selection.

So whats your story, lets hear it? State your trim, etc if its not in your sig and tell us why you selected the XE over your other choice?

Old 03-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

For me I always like to have something a bit "special", that other people dont drive. Over here 3 series are a dime a dozen, c class are a bit geriatric, and we'd done volvo to death (had 7 of them over the years, nice cars but...). Anyway the first XF came out and I had an s60R at the time and my wife an s40T5. The Jag was so much better to drive and more particularly to turn (the s60R had a 13m plus turning circle) I had to have one.

So I started with my Jag phase, a 4.2 XF then a 5.0 XF then a 5.0 XKR. My wife always loved Jags too but none were small enough for her save the x type which wasnt a lot of chop to drive, so she stuck with volvo - a second s40T5 then a V40 CC T5.

Then the XE hit Australia in about September 2015. I was busting a gut to drive one although I was expecting it to look more like a game changer. So I drove a 20T and I was sold, it was truly the best car I'd driven steering, handling and ride wise for our average roads, just perfect. So we looked at trading the v40 on one for my wife. It had to be IRR, and R sport, and 25T. I considered the S (your 35T) but it would have been another $40K. I found one on a ship coming over and then tracked it daily until it arrived.

It is an amazingly good car. I'd have preferred the 6 but the 25T has quite a bit of go in it. I couldnt live with the dated tech in my XKR after driving the XE, so I got an F Type. The XE drives better than the F Type, for sure, but the F Type has the edge on drama and appeals to my inner attention *****. My wife has rediscovered her love of driving, she just loves the XE to bits. And I have been known to pinch it quite often myself and leave her the F Type, sometimes for days at a time.

The following users liked this post:
Fair2 (04-05-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I fell in love with the XE after 12 years of boring BMWs which are also a dime a dozen here in South Florida. Everyone has a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. You're just numb to it at this point. The Jag was something new, fresh and eye catching. I wanted THAT. When I saw how it made the BMW 3 series look dated plus how it performed, I was hooked.

I test drove one during Jaguar's Art of Performance tour and was able to drive the XE on a track, with no restrictions placed on us. I quickly went online and placed a deposit. I ordered my R-Sport in IRR, fully loaded with every option except AWD since it's not needed here in flat land Florida. Been happy with it ever since.

Next step is a VAP tune, to take it from the stock 340 to 416. That'll be fun.

99Problems (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I drove a lot of cars while looking for a new one. Sure, I always liked Jaguar brand and British cars in general, but for me, it was all about how the car drove. Cool design and brand cachet are important but not if the car drives like a barge.

I drove C and E classes and both were very slow to respond and not inspiring to drive.
BMW M sports had hard suspension and old-fashioned interiors. They drive well but the price was too inflated for what you were getting.

I also tested Dodge Charger RT which was very comfortable and surprisingly good to drive, lot of space too but it did feel too long and heavy for Boston. Also, it is only RWD - fun but not practical.
Ford Taurus SHO - really bad interior, very FWD biased AWD, not fun to drive at all. Good tuning platform, though...

I would have checked Audi S4, but new model was not yet available. I wish they sold RS3 in the US... Old S5 V8's are great cars too but it was too much of a risk buying 7-8 yr old luxury car.

Then I drove XE and loved it. It looked great, interior was simple, clean and modern. Engine had a character. Not your typical turbo swoosh but progressive torque all the way up in the rev range. It sounds decent at high revs too. Does need an aftermarket exhaust though.
Best of all, XE steers like it weights 3000lbs instead of 3900, has very sophisticated suspension. It has one of the best road holding ability I've ever experienced in any car. Its AWD system was most RWD biased which you can really feel when driven hard. It is very good sized car, does not have much space inside but I don't have kids to worry about so I am fine with it. Its engine also has a lot of potential and the platform itself (engine, chassis, tranny) is well rounded too.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I did not test drive any other new cars before deciding on the XE. I did test drive a ’13 Maserati GranTurismo S, but on that day it felt lackluster. Could be from the nice drive to the dealership in the Evora. I went to our local Jaguar dealership initially on a 2012 G Wagon MB (always thought they were cool looking) and had looked at XE a while back. Was considering a lower spec XE for my girlfriend when her S60 Volvo lease expired. I got to the dealership and thought, “Sh**, I can get a new XE loaded for the price of G Wagon”. I knew it was supposed to drive like something and it did… I could’ve leased a Jag from any platform, but the XE just had the nicest lines and size for me right now.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven french cars for decades - living in Europe, this is nothing uncommon.
December last year there was a Jaguar exhibition in a shopping mall and I went there by pure chance. Standing in front of the XES in black, it was love at first sight! I immediately knew, this is the car I've been waiting for my whole life :-)
Haven't regret it till today.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have to agree with y'all 100% about the comparable BMW, MB & Audi cars, they are totally a dime a dozen and just don't hit the mark I wanted like the XE does.

Like the OP said, but a bit different for me, I wished Audi had out already a refreshed RS5 and TTRS as I loved both of those cars in the older trim but they just didn't have enough grunt for me and they are too old now. The new ones are on the way and look killer but its too late and I like my XE.

I really wanted a big coupe like a CL63/S63 AMG but it didn't fit my needs and I have other cars for that.

My next thread will be about what we all don't like about the XE that isn't a rant and more about what JLR missed on the XE. That will be in a separate thread of course.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Been thru a number of sport sedans. I can't do BMW. Have mostly done Audi. My last 2 cars were both Audi S4's. Great cars, I lost the last one in an accident. Did a Saab 9.3 convertible and a MB C300. After the S4 was totaled I happened by the local Jaguar dealer in Santa Monica and they had just rolled off the XE R Sport. Triple black. I took it for a drive and ended up taking it home. I had never considered a Jag but could not pass it up. 10 months later and a VAP tune and still very pleased. I was hot on the Alfa Guila but timing did not work out.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I always wanted a Jag... I spotted an old XJ outside of my school once and was enamored with the leaper and how cool the car looked. I grew up in a family that only ever drove Benz and BMW so I was bored of them and never really wanted one. Then when Tata took over and redesigned the XJ, I thought it was the sexiest sedan on the market. Made it my goal to own one when I was older. Then Jag announced the XE and I realized it'd be in the same price range as a 3-series and C-Class and I could afford it so I picked the one I wanted and pulled the trigger. Been loving every mile since!

BigCat09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

What I'd be interested in knowing is whether anyone also shopped an XF and if so what took you to the XE? Otherwise, why did you not look at the XF?

My S-Type will be aging out soon and I figure the replacement will either be an XF or an XE...

================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 03-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
What I'd be interested in knowing is whether anyone also shopped an XF and if so what took you to the XE? Otherwise, why did you not look at the XF?

My S-Type will be aging out soon and I figure the replacement will either be an XF or an XE...
For me it was the other way around. I fell in love with new gen XE and started looking at it but then went with XF. Slightly scaled up version of the same car. I needed more room so the choice was perfect.

If you buy at the beginning of next model year (i.e 2016 model at the beginning of 2017) you might find considerable discounts. XE being a new car didn't offer it.

The downside was the limited trim/option choices. I was able to find almost perfect combo for me though.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab

================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine
I had a pair of XFR's and then I looked at the new 2017 XF and they didn't have an R and I needed more of a commuter car that I could outfit nicely for the $ spent and the XE was well under my budget loaded up at $65k. The XF sometimes felt to big for my needs and where I traveled so the XE seemed just right. I wish the XE was a 2 door and kept the same size it is now to make it perfect!

The Alph Guila fully loaded was about $82k for me but it wasn't out yet and I hear so many complaints about Alpha here in NA so I just skipped it even though it is a beast.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
My better half wasn't so impressed with the XF's looks as much as the XE and I wanted something that was setup to be sportier than what the XF had on offer (coming from a Lotus). XF is a nice car though. Interior on XF is much nicer than XE's.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like most, BMW, Audi and Merc are thick on the ground here in the SF area. So much so that only the M or AMG variants offer any kind of "special" cache. I had an E92 M3 which I did like, but felt I'd been there done that. I was driving a Mini Countryman S All4 and (no disrespect to those that still do) but it just wasn't cutting it as a second car for a myriad of reasons. So to replace it, I knew I wanted a 4 door, but needed something with some pick up and looks that made it feel special to me. Like some other folks on here, that meant either a Jag or the Guilia. In the end I got a screaming deal on the XE where as with the Guilia, the only trim I had any interest in was the Q'folio, and that optioned up was 30K more. I've got my go fast sports car already, so I felt getting the Alfa for the 2nd car was overkill. The XE felt just right. My only gripe is the lack of aluminum paddles (fixing that on my own) and a bit more in the way of exhaust song, though I hear that comes on a bit more with time.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Problems
Like most, BMW, Audi and Merc are thick on the ground here in the SF area. So much so that only the M or AMG variants offer any kind of "special" cache. I had an E92 M3 which I did like, but felt I'd been there done that. I was driving a Mini Countryman S All4 and (no disrespect to those that still do) but it just wasn't cutting it as a second car for a myriad of reasons. So to replace it, I knew I wanted a 4 door, but needed something with some pick up and looks that made it feel special to me. Like some other folks on here, that meant either a Jag or the Guilia. In the end I got a screaming deal on the XE where as with the Guilia, the only trim I had any interest in was the Q'folio, and that optioned up was 30K more. I've got my go fast sports car already, so I felt getting the Alfa for the 2nd car was overkill. The XE felt just right. My only gripe is the lack of aluminum paddles (fixing that on my own) and a bit more in the way of exhaust song, though I hear that comes on a bit more with time.

I had Countryman S ALL4 too and the only thing I liked about that car was the steering and ability to park it anywhere. It was a company car so I did not complain.

How would you compare E92 M3 to XE 35T? I was searching for E90 M3 with a stick but could not find a good example for a good price. In the end, I assumed that XE's V6s would feel stronger due to higher torque in regular driving so I was not giving up much of a performance.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
I had Countryman S ALL4 too and the only thing I liked about that car was the steering and ability to park it anywhere. It was a company car so I did not complain.

How would you compare E92 M3 to XE 35T? I was searching for E90 M3 with a stick but could not find a good example for a good price. In the end, I assumed that XE's V6s would feel stronger due to higher torque in regular driving so I was not giving up much of a performance.
Yeah, your likes for the Mini mirror mine, but that's about it :-)

the E92 M3 is a different animal. Seating position is lower and the steering weight is much heavier than the Jag, so it does feel more sporting. I also had a manual, so that creates a more involving drive kind of by default. The XE interior is much nicer, and the ride is WAY more comfortable over uneven surfaces. 0-60 I don't think you miss anything in real world driving, but the M3 does feel lighter in the corners compared to the XE when you really start to step on it.

Not sure if I'd feel the same about an E90, as I never drove one of those, although I suspect they drive almost identically.

Demetre Gvaramia (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the market for a new car and looked at pretty much every manufacturer that had a decent car with some respectable HP with the looks and features I wanted that was still in my budget. The final contenders were Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. they were all great cars and I struggled for awhile not knowing too much about this new model or Jaguar in general vs the other cars which you literally see all over the place. I then drove the XE again during Jaguar's Art of Performance tour and just fell in love with the car. It is so different and stands out from the generic masses. It was also less money than the others comparably equipped with similar HP and the mpg #'s, are great for the power your getting.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My last two cars were a BMW 335xi and an Audi S4. Both were excellent cars. I test drove a new S4, but it felt too raw... I touched the accelerator and was thrown back in my seat. Also, its appearance was just plain boring. I decided I did not want another car with run flat tires. That ruled out BMW. When I saw photos online of the XE, I was blown away. Then I read reviews, and they were excellent.

Finally, the Jaguar website said the car came with a 5 year warranty including all scheduled maintenance. That was the clincher for me.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple things. I see too many BMWs and Benz and Audis that they just aren't special anymore. They don't bring out any emotion in me, they are just cars. When I see a Jag it always gets a response out of me some how. I think it's because they still aren't that common on the road around me right now.

Also when pricing out the other cars against the Jag; the value. What you get for the price is second to none. If i wanted a BMW with the same performance characteristic and luxury it'd be way out of my price range. If I Spec a BMW for what I can afford, it's a boring average BMW. It's not special. For the Jag, I get everything I want in it and it's special, it's my Jag.

3 liter V6 supercharged. That's special in a sea of tubrocharged engines. Not that turbos are bad, there are upsides and downsides to both, but I've owned turbo charged cars in the past, lag is a thing. I want to experience supercharging, the instant power.

There are easy tuning options to get 400HP out of the engine. I've messed with ECU flashing utilities in the past, they are great value for what you get. The fact that one already exists for the XE for multiple stages as well, it just seems like a nobrainer.

And finally every trusted auto journalist I listen to said the same things. It's a great car. Handles great, good power, interior is a little lacking. It was a consistent message across multiple people I trust, and it's a message that I can get behind.

Overall it's what I'm looking for and it's not what i'm not looking for. The dream goes on.

Last edited by Raaz; 03-31-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

My selection of the XE mirrors largely what others have said. I had an Acura TSX that I loved but it was time to move on. I basically looked at everything (thank goodness for car shows, although BMW and Jaguar skipped the 2017 Boston show!), and narrowed it down to the 340i, the A4, and the XE.

Despite the fact that I loved the XE from the moment I saw one on the street and looked it up online, I thought I was leaning more towards the BMW and Audi because of the lack of manual transmission on the US XE. After driving all three, I loved the technology in the A4 but it was too quiet (couldn't hear the engine at all - likely what some people would actually like, but not me), the BMW manual was nice but a little too 'plush', and the XE handling made my heart pound, even with auto.

And, of course, the Jaguar's good looks stand out - on a 45-minute drive pondering the three cars, I lost count of the 3-series and A4s I passed. And whenever I see a rare Jaguar (XJ, XE, XF, F-Pace - have yet to see an F-Type in the wild), my head turns. And I smile. The WOW factor on the IRR XE with black wheels was what really decided it.

A month and 1800 miles in, I still grin broadly as I hit the "Start" button... Besides, I still have a stick shift BRZ to mess around with when my left foot wants something to do...

mosesbotbol (04-03-2017)