XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Is the XE 20d 2017 a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the XE 20d 2017 a good choice?

Hello !

I am brand new on this forum, I am starting to shop for a new car, currently I own a Golf TDI 2011, which I really like, it has only 200k km to the counter. I went to see a 2017 XE 20d at Jaguar's dealer and I was wondering if some of you could tell me how reliable are these cars? I remember at my young age to admire the Jaguar XJ. I always liked Jaguar cars. My only fear is are they reliable? I do around 1000 km by week.

Thanks in advance for the answers !

Mathieu

Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrumQc
Hello !

I am brand new on this forum, I am starting to shop for a new car, currently I own a Golf TDI 2011, which I really like, it has only 200k km to the counter. I went to see a 2017 XE 20d at Jaguar's dealer and I was wondering if some of you could tell me how reliable are these cars? I remember at my young age to admire the Jaguar XJ. I always liked Jaguar cars. My only fear is are they reliable? I do around 1000 km by week.

Thanks in advance for the answers !

Mathieu
I can tell you that the Jags much more reliable than VW for sure. Back in the day when I was debating which German to get a prof-mechanic said to me buy any car but VW. I know what's going on in your head being a VW owner. Now back to topic, I was introduced to the Jag 20 years ago by my colleagues. I witnessed how much abuse this car would take without proper maintenance, and still survive. They would nag about a radio reception than praise an engine. The XE is my favorite out of all nodern Jags. It's compact, dynamic and stylish. I've been driving XE 20d AWD for 3 months and so far love it. A fuel economy of diesel is so amazing that no wonder someone wants to kill the whole world wide production spreading myths about pollution. Properly build and mantained diesel engine not worse than a gasoline one. I would suggest to test drive one, and do it hard in dynamic mode.

The following users liked this post:
AdrumQc (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

As to reliablity you can only really play the odds, because any maker's car be a winner or loser. Mostly though modern cars don't breakdown at the roadside - its the extras that quit. Having driven both, the XE is much more fun to drive than a Golf, but the driving position is low slung rather than the higher commanding position of German cars

J D Power odds are-

Last edited by keith100; 05-06-2018 at 02:08 AM.
AdrumQc (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I agree with Keith. I've had 5 Jags now and never a breakdown. i've had the odd niggle though, especially with my first XF which I think they rushed onto the market.

We have had our XE for 2 1/2 years now (got it when they were first available here) and no issues at all.

Some people had issues with the diesels in the earlier XFs because they need to be driven a distance once every few months for the crud to burn out of the DPF. That took a trip of about an hour or so to get it nice and hot. If you are only pottering around town it wouldnt trigger and then eventually the car would go into limp mode. If you are doing 1000km a week you shouldnt have any problems.

AdrumQc (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for the answers. If I decide to change my VW I'll certainly go with the Jag XE 20d !

Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

So far the Jaguar Corporate Team have been far more honest than the Volkswagen folks, if that matters to you...the disgraced former CEO of VW can't step foot in the USA without getting arrested. I've put 21K on my XE, it's been very reliable. I came from owning two VW TDI's, the EGR's seemed to foul on my VW TDI's, I have not heard of that issue on the Jag diesels. If you are the original owner of that VW TDI I hope you already got your settlement. VW is paying out an estimated $25 Billion for their emissions/mileage lies which were approved at the highest levels...ergo this arrest warrant on their former CEO announced a couple days ago. Nine top VW executives have been indicted so far...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1I52M1

Last edited by Austin7; 05-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.
AdrumQc (05-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 2017 XE AWD Prestige 20D 2 months ago. Have driven it in the snow, on very curvy roads and on the highway/freeway. Can't say enough good about it. The car is a little hard to get into more like a proper sports car, but VERY comfortable in the front two seats once inside. Handling is very good. This is not a muscle car, but the power is respectable, especially at 39-52 miles per gallon. I rent a lot of different cars. This week I am in a MB CLK 250. Some of the reviews I read about the XE complained about the interior. They need to drive this 2018 MB. By comparison the XE is years ahead in its design and controls (just wish they supported Android Auto so I could use my google assistant!*).

For some reason, the public is not interested in diesel engines and there were/are a lot of 2017 XE diesels still on the lot. Jags loss is your gain as the discounts and rebates reflect their desire to move these models. With a 5 year 60K warranty and service plan, how can you go wrong, especially at the price you should be able to find one for.

* For some reason Incontrol Pro supports "Jaguar" apps. The selection is VERY limited and unless Jag goes more main stream, will fall further behind in this area each quarter. They are not equipped to keep up with the changes in this area of technology, but should support the pseudo standards already embraced by so many auto manufactures.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Never been stranded in my 3 Jags I have owned. Was stranded in my Range Rover, but that was the last year of the BMW V8 (fuel pump died $$$).

My XE has had some issues, but nothing that would deter me from recommending it. Nothing that left me without a car; dealer always provided me with a loaner. Sometimes the loaner was a LR Discovery Sport which helped me with Home Depot chores the XE wouldn't have been able to handle. Win win!