XF (X260) 2015 onwards

AEB Initialising problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEB Initialising problem

I searched this issue in the forums/threads already and didn’t see much in-depth info so I thought I’d post this here.

I keep getting an notification on the dashboards digital display that the AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) system is “Initialising.” To be specific, one of those orange triangles appears with the words AEB Initiasing under it. I click the “OK” on the steering wheel and it goes away but the orange triangle stays lit on the dash.

Whats unusual is that I’ve been driving this XF for about 5 months or so and while it would sporadically appear in the past the system would seem to do its thing, finish Initialising I guess, and then the signal would go away. Now, it stays on constantly.

It should be noted that this doesn’t happen straight away, but rather, once I’ve been driving a short while, perhaps only a few miles.

Functionally, I’ve noticed no difference in the car. Thus, I suspect that it’s a computer glitch of some kind. I’ve got full warranty coverage on this car through the first part of 2023 (it was a dealer certified pre-owner) but often times it can be a hassle to take it in. You all know how that can be I’m sure.

I’d love to hear of you guys have encountered anything like that and to know what you (or the repair guy) did about it. Land Rover has similar systems and technology I realize, and I’ve read on one of their forums that one of them had to get a module replaced. I hope it’s not all that serious and that it’s just the time of the year (cold, winters, etc.) that’s causing this.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:01 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid question, but have you thoroughly cleaned the top of the windscreen in front of the AEB cameras?

In my experience the system rarely seems to reset once driving regardless of changes except going offline if the cameras become obscured.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbn
Stupid question, but have you thoroughly cleaned the top of the windscreen in front of the AEB cameras?

In my experience the system rarely seems to reset once driving regardless of changes except going offline if the cameras become obscured.
I’ve cleaned it before in the past but perhaps I’ll grab some winded and give it a try.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I get this message too sometimes if the windscreen is frosted over or dirty. That's the only time it happens so as suggested give the top of the wind screen a good clean and hopefully that will sort for you.