XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Air Conditioning

Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

The weather here has erupted to tourist heat levels, so traffic sucks and sitting in the heat is unacceptable.

I notice my AC goes either way down or off when sitting at traffic lights or in heavy traffic. The interior temp rises and once back on the road at speed it seems to cool again. First thought would be a low refrigerant charge but if that were the case, would suspect cooling would also suffer on they highway as well.

I am running in regular or Dynamic modes, not in ECO so would think the car would cool better. Rear air, air as everyone knows, cannot be completely shut down, although the auxiliary blower and rear controls are defeated.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Old 07-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes same here. I notice it especially if the auto stop is on.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

I don' have auto start stop for some reason. At least, it is inoperative and has been since it left the showroom floor. Dealer says they have never seen on,ebbefore and can probably fix it. N.onthanks, love it without.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:12 AM

That's odd. The system defaults to it being on when the car is turned on (the "A" near dynamic mode is lit up. The only way I can tell its on is the revs drop to zero at a stop light. There are some conditions that it won't stop, of course I thought it was broken, but a bit later it started again. It can be overridden by pushing the "A" button.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by steves1101
That's odd. The system defaults to it being on when the car is turned on (the "A" near dynamic mode is lit up. The only way I can tell its on is the revs drop to zero at a stop light. There are some conditions that it won't stop, of course I thought it was broken, but a bit later it started again. It can be overridden by pushing the "A" button.
I know. Pushing the "A" button does nothing except the LED above it goes on and off. The first time I drove the car I pushed the button to shut it off (although it had not stopped even then) and I understand that when you shut the vehicle off with the ignition button it will cycle back to a default "ON" when the vehicle is started next time. Mine never has done that and having driven vehicles that do start and stop I am happy not to deal with it. In this freeway traffic it would stop and start a hundred times in a short trip.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Yes thats right when you start the car again it should default to on. Actually it only stops after a certain length of time. I usually use the "follow" mode and its only when the message centre says "vehicle being held" that it usually stops. I'm surprised there is no error message about it not working. There are error messages for everything else.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM

I know. I was surprised about no error messages but I am really pleased that it doesn't work. I know there are certain parameters where it will not, but none of those things come into play here. The only downside is when it goes in for the oil change the dealer will mess with it. Ugghh.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:04 AM

I guess it doesn't matter if the dealer messes with it since it isn't working anyway. It could be one of the subsystems that impacts something else that I'm not aware of, but since you paid for it I would get it checked.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:58 AM

I have always been of the belief that the drain on the battery and the wear on the starter far exceeds the mileage benefit of Stop-Start. Had a loaner one time that did it and it was a pain. That one did not have a cutoff however.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I live in Los Angeles which means traffic and heat are issues. I just stop using my intelligent start stop and air works fine. I have the car a month and it's just become habit to push the botton after hitting the start stop.

Maybe your air conditioning system thinks it's using the intelligent start stop on the freeway and that's why you are having an issue.

Which one is more annoying pushing an extra button when you start the car or being hot during freeway driving.

I would go get that intelligent start stop feature fixed. You never know what else isn't working properly because that feature isn't working.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Really good point. I need to stop by the dealer and let them take a look. I also need to press the start-stop on the console and see if that changes things with the AC, as I know it does not affect the start stop feature, before I head to the dealer. If pressing the button so the light goes off means it will fix the AC issue and still not have start stop it might be worthwhile.

I'll ask the dealer to run it thru the computer and let me know..

Cheers from the very southern half of the left coast!

Last edited by Magnumforc; 07-05-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Drove 4.5 hours in freeway and heavy city traffic (Pacific Coast Highway San Diego to Seal Beach and back.) and found that if I turn OFF the Start-Stop switch that the air works flawlessly regardless of speed. The Stop-Start still does not work but the AC is now fine. Super heavy traffic through Laguna Beach and Costa Del Mar, worse than usual, and also a wreck on the freeway to slow things even more. The trick is to simply turn off the S/S every time the vehicle is started.

Will still check with the dealer to see if anything shows up as a code, but I do not want the stop-start option if they can manage it.

Cheers.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Drove 4.5 hours in freeway and heavy city traffic (Pacific Coast Highway San Diego to Seal Beach and back.) and found that if I turn OFF the Start-Stop switch that the air works flawlessly regardless of speed. The Stop-Start still does not work but the AC is now fine. Super heavy traffic through Laguna Beach and Costa Del Mar, worse than usual, and also a wreck on the freeway to slow things even more. The trick is to simply turn off the S/S every time the vehicle is started.

Will still check with the dealer to see if anything shows up as a code, but I do not want the stop-start option if they can manage it.

Cheers.
I am just wondering if the Stop-Start indicator on the dash is just not working properly and it's always off. I would assume that you would notice your car being started up again after being in the stop mode. But maybe it is so little that it isn't noticable. I only know when I press that gas that I am in Stop Start mode. Braking I never notice it.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by yntski
I am just wondering if the Stop-Start indicator on the dash is just not working properly and it's always off. I would assume that you would notice your car being started up again after being in the stop mode. But maybe it is so little that it isn't noticable. I only know when I press that gas that I am in Stop Start mode. Braking I never notice it.
No, car never shuts off at stops, the tachometer remains at about 650 RPM when the car is stopped. If it quit I could see the reason for the AC going off but again, the book says that the stop start will not work when there is heavy demand for AC. Hmm, a catch 22 it seems.

I am not unhappy without it as long as I press the switch when heavy AC is needed. Dealer will have to sort this out in the future.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
The weather here has erupted to tourist heat levels, so traffic sucks and sitting in the heat is unacceptable.

I notice my AC goes either way down or off when sitting at traffic lights or in heavy traffic.
I wouldn't rush too much to have dealer "look" at the auto/stop. Regardless of what you tell them, it may come back "fixed".

I noticed the same issue where it seems like the blower stays on but condenser turns off - so, it's definitely "warmer" at times. As I'm sure you remember, tourist heat levels in Tampa Bay start in March. What I've chalked it up to is cold British weather means A/C doesn't have to be as cold. I also wondered if it wasn't a hidden "Eco" feature (not relating it to Eco mode, just the overall push for lower MPG). In previous cars, I kept thermostat between 76-78 (usually 78). That is waaay too warm in the Jag. However, I noticed that if I keep the temp set to 72-ish, it doesn't cycle off. I find that I keep it between 72-74 now. Since making that adjustment, it's much more comfortable. Might want to try that before risking the auto start/stop check?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:34 AM

I keep the AC at 70 and it works reasonably well but still have that warm, humid air on occasion. Strangely enough, yesterday it also occurred on the freeway, so it just has to be cycling regardless of the temperature. However, if I set the temp at LO, it blasts cold forever and the recirculating feature locks on. Maybe the trick will be to set the recycled air on for warmer days?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe. I found just keeping a lower temp gave me better results. Try the recirc, but I think that's now one more button to push when starting up your car. Hahaha. Wait... You don't have to push the stop/start so that balances it out. 🙂

Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MellieR
Maybe. I found just keeping a lower temp gave me better results. Try the recirc, but I think that's now one more button to push when starting up your car. Hahaha. Wait... You don't have to push the stop/start so that balances it out. 🙂
LOL..good point. I wish the 4 zone climate control was better. Too many buttons to push and then there is the touch screen to further set. Auto works okay but then the blower speeds are controlled by the car and not you. If you cut the blower down then it kicks off auto I think.