XF (X260) 2015 onwards

CPO Warranty experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CPO Warranty experiences?

I am 1000 miles away from 50K but my car is a CPO with the 7/100K extension. Does anyone have any experience with CPO claims particularly on XFs? Good or bad?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:43 AM

another question on either warranty - do i have to go to jaguar dealer for reg maint - like oil changes, and brake pads? My local dealer is not so bad on oil changes (70 dollars) but I can do both myself - I am just paranoid if I don't bring it to them for regular maint they will deny any warranty claim...

Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

On CPO claims, just realize that Cpo is not a warranty. It's a maintenance contract where some items are covered and some are not. Depends on your specific plan. Eg they typically don't cover any wear items, trim, bushings, gaskets etc. so while they are helpful, they don't cover as much as the original warranty

In many countries eg the US the oem is not allowed to insist that they do maintenance work. So as long as you can prove that the work was done at the right frequency with the right parts then they can't deny. But if you use non oem spec alternative oil for example you are opening up to issues
Keep all receipts and a log book of what you did

Old 04-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Well here is some fun! - So I took my car in for the takata airbag replacement and a bad o2 sensor they should have fixed the last time I reported it. They told me "lucky you got it in you have 200 miles left on your warranty." I said "no I have a cpo." The service manager said "I don't see a cpo on this." She said she would call me back then told me "I talked to the service manager and nope no cpo." Yeah I freaked out for a second then started dialing. I got the car fax out and called the dealer who sold the car as a cpo. After a few tries I got the the service manager who looked it up and said "yes it was sold as a cpo, I can find the cpo paperwork for you." So I asked him "how do I get the other dealer to recognize this?" He said "I don't know."

Jesus H Christ!! What? So now I am waiting for the original dealer to find the paperwork and I will either get it via fax or go down and get it myself..but wtf. Jaguar told me the warranty is fully transferrable - How can it not show up as a CPO?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
Well here is some fun! - So I took my car in for the takata airbag replacement and a bad o2 sensor they should have fixed the last time I reported it. They told me "lucky you got it in you have 200 miles left on your warranty." I said "no I have a cpo." The service manager said "I don't see a cpo on this." She said she would call me back then told me "I talked to the service manager and nope no cpo." Yeah I freaked out for a second then started dialing. I got the car fax out and called the dealer who sold the car as a cpo. After a few tries I got the the service manager who looked it up and said "yes it was sold as a cpo, I can find the cpo paperwork for you." So I asked him "how do I get the other dealer to recognize this?" He said "I don't know."

Jesus H Christ!! What? So now I am waiting for the original dealer to find the paperwork and I will either get it via fax or go down and get it myself..but wtf. Jaguar told me the warranty is fully transferrable - How can it not show up as a CPO?

You have the law on your side. The CPO contract specifies what is covered although not as much as the original warrantee which preceded it.
Let us know. I have a CPO too but am only at 30K KMS right now and still under the pre CPO warrantee. My CPO is 7 years and 160K Kms in Canada.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:43 PM

that is the problem it looks like the original dealer did not register it as a cpo so it does not show up - at this point all the service people at the original dealer can see is it was certified and sold. Jagura says no cpo on it sos not sure if the orginal dealer can post cpo it...

Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
that is the problem it looks like the original dealer did not register it as a cpo so it does not show up - at this point all the service people at the original dealer can see is it was certified and sold. Jagura says no cpo on it sos not sure if the orginal dealer can post cpo it...

Since you bought a CPO auto and the dealer paperwork says so it is the dealers responsibility to ensure it is respected by other dealers performing service on it. The dealer must register it as such if it has not been done. This is awful. Let me know what happens.
AL

Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM

So the original dealer who sold it as a cpo got back to be today - they said that the buyer negotiated the cpo out - and paid less for the car (which I don't understand since it was certified as a cpo by them and show up in car fax as a certified jaguar sale). He told me it was up to the owner to activate the cpo and he chose not to. So seems like I am SOL on the cpo front. He also told me conflicting information - that even if it was a cpo because he traded it into a non jag dealer it would have had to be recertified which is in direct conflict with what Jaguar advertises about their cpo warranty.

My two options are trade it in and get another car (and probably not a jag since this has left a bad taste in my mouth) or get an aftermarket warranty. I decided to get the aftermarket. I went with an exclusionary 4/50K mile warranty - insurance backed, I have 30 days to change my mind and get a full refund or prorated after that. I really love my XF I just hate this all happened.

ps the original owner left all his contact info in my nav system as his home address.. I am tempted to call him and find out if he really did wave the cpo or if the original dealer is just pulling a fast one and not honoring the cpo.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I think you've taken the high road here in a great way. Buy the aftermarket for your own peace of mind. Enjoy the car and hope you never need to use it

If you could be bothered you could have a lawyer send a letter to the dealer saying you bought a Cpo warrantied car from them and that's what you paid for. That you have had to pay for an aftermarket warranty yourself given the immediacy of the oem one expiring. And you expect them to pay for it. Perhaps that as a gesture of goodwill you'll split it with them
They will probably not reply. But at least you tried..

Then move on and enjoy the car. They are wonderful!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM

Yes the dealer I got my car from was pretty decent about it and ate some of the cost of the warranty so still got a really good deal on the jag - and I have 4 years more of warranty up to 100K miles which is fully transferable if I ever want to sell -gee imagine that. And I do love the car

Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM

I agree it was good of the Dealer to cover some of the warranty. Actually what you purchased should cover the entire car for the after market warrantee period. Still, I am going to check my COP when I go in for annual service shortly. I have the warrantee book for the COP with all the inclusions and exclusions. I suppose if it was not covered I would have got nothing. We shall see.
All the best. We love our XF AWD. Goes great in the snow too!

Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM

If you have all the paper work you should be good - but your service person should be able to look it up it would have the cpo warranty attached to it. The one good thing to come out of this is with the cpo I had to go to the dealer - with the after market I can go to any ase certified mechanic. Where I live there is a Mercedes dealer, aston martin, Bently and Porsche dealer on the same road - and a really good shop that specialized in european cars so rather than drive 50 miles to the jag dealer I can go there !