XF (X260) 2015 onwards

How to reconnect emergency brake release lever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to reconnect emergency brake release lever?

Good evening everyone,

I recently bought a 2015 XF 3.0 AWD from Florida and drove it back to Michigan.
When I got back home to MI, I opened the boot to organize and found the emergency brake manual release lever lying next to the spare tire. After reading up a little on how and where this is supposed to go, I started dismantling my car's (technically it's a gift for my mom) center console to clean the gunk from the previous owner and to "reconnect" the emergency brake release lever and install it in the proper place. See below for images of emergency brake release lever

I took apart everything you see in the pictures below but I'm stuck. I need some help/advice on how to remove the center console entirely in order to connect the end of the emergency brake release lever to whatever I need to.

I'd appreciate the community's help in shedding some light on the following:
1. Do I need to remove the center console entirely to hook up the emergency brake release lever end to what I think would be a cable from the transmission? If so, how do I remove the center console entirely? (See images below on where I'm stuck).
2. If #1 is wrong, do I need to go under the car and connect the emergency brake release lever to the transmission? Do I need to drop the transmission for that?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows a tech in SE Michigan that's willing to share the knowledge/give advice, please do so. I need to get everything back together soon and get back to studying for med school.

Thank you,
Will continue to explore tomorrow morning

PS: For some reason, uploading pictures is challenging, I will upload pics in the subsequent posts.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 PM

Found this in trunk

What was dismantled (PS: Does anyone know what kind of wood this is? If I were to order a replacement, what kind of color should I be looking for?)

Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 PM

I got this far and removed the CD changer/electronics box to gain access to 2 silver colored bolts that bolt black plastic center console to dashboard frame/subframe

Location of 2 bolts I got access to by removing the CD changer/electronics box

I also removed 2 silver bolts (one on driver side and one on passenger side) that bolt black plastic center console to whatever is under it

And also removed 2 silver bolts (one on each side) that bolt black plastic center console to dashboard frame/subframe (these screws are lateral to the CD changer/electronics box (already moved aside in this picture)

Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Removed rear seat's AC vents/Lighter chrome trim in attempt to find bolts that secure center console to transmission tunnel

Does anyone know how to take apart the armrest storage bin liner to get access to bolts under it (If there are any anyway)
I usually work on our American cars. this is the first European car we own so any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

From the pictures of the trim and the red strap handle I'm guessing you have an X250, try that forum. The emergency release cable for the X260 is under the hood, under the the motor cover.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
From the pictures of the trim and the red strap handle I'm guessing you have an X250, try that forum. The emergency release cable for the X260 is under the hood, under the the motor cover.
Thank you VERY much, it was in the engine compartment... *mother of all facepalms*

This is strange, if the trim and strap handle tell you it's an X250, how is it that the emergency brake release is in the engine bay like in an X260?

I'll be honest, some of the trim panel stickers said X250 but i thought that was because that between the X250 and X260, they didnt change the interior design much as a money saving strategy, any thoughts?

Last edited by jaytee; 06-19-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by jaytee
......This is strange, if the trim and strap handle tell you it's an X250, how is it that the emergency brake release is in the engine bay like in an X260?
? ......
I was going to say something about that because I don't think (could be wrong) the X250 was sold in the US. However there were some X260 sold in 2015 that had some remaining features of the X250. Someone correct me if my memory is wrong.

The following users liked this post:
jaytee (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Looking forward to some knowledge being dropped as well