XF (X260) 2015 onwards

InControl questions (2016 XF S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default InControl questions (2016 XF S)

I just took delivery of my new XF S and have a couple of questions regarding the InControl system. This is for a US car.

I have an iPhone 6S and the text messages do not appear to work on the screen? Has anyone been able to get that feature to operate?

Navigation does not show current traffic, which is unfortunate. Also cannot figure out how to enter a city as a destination and then locate a point of interest in that city, it seems to require a street address first.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:56 PM

Also, the Remote app seems to operate the car but then generates an error message after it does anything.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I just picked up my XF-S 2d ago and also couldn't figure out the text messaging until today (albeit by accident):

- I had to actually connect my iPhone (5s, v8.3) by USB-firewire to the XF-S, launch the InControl Apps, then the text messages started coming up on the screen

- once I disconnected the firewire and went back to bluetooth connection, the text messages continued to work

Only issue is that I can't seem to reply to messages yet - will update you if I figure that one out.

The following users liked this post:
user1290 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, meant USB-Lightning, not firewire

Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the reply ... my texts started mysteriously appearing yesterday ... and, as you said, I had connected the iPhone via the USB cable and launched the InControl apps. But had no idea why it started working.

Please do advise if you figure out the response.

I think the InControl apps are pretty weak ... the only one that interested me was Stitcher but it does not work well via InControl, you can only see the home screen and can't access your favorites or shows to listen to offline.

Additionally, it seems to take over the phone that way, so you can't easily get back to your music, it won't see or recognize playlists, artists, etc. Even over Bluetooth the iPhone interface is weak and balky.

Also, playing music via the iPhone over Bluetooth I'm getting odd little "skips" in the music, not dropouts but it seems like it's hitting the fast forward button for a fraction of a second so there's a seamless jump ahead for a half-beat in the music -- like an old vinyl record skipping. It's bizarre.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rp911
I just took delivery of my new XF S and have a couple of questions regarding the InControl system. This is for a US car.

I have an iPhone 6S and the text messages do not appear to work on the screen? Has anyone been able to get that feature to operate?

Navigation does not show current traffic, which is unfortunate. Also cannot figure out how to enter a city as a destination and then locate a point of interest in that city, it seems to require a street address first.

Thanks for any assistance.
I think you have to activate the Sirius XM trial for current traffic. That is only a 4 month subscription if I am correct.

Strangely, the Garmin system used on my Dodge would give you current traffic and detours for the life of the car. With the upgrade to Jaguar the system does not.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's not just about Bluetooth settings on iPhone and I don't think its the cars fault

Originally Posted by rp911
Thanks for the reply ... my texts started mysteriously appearing yesterday ... and, as you said, I had connected the iPhone via the USB cable and launched the InControl apps. But had no idea why it started working.

Please do advise if you figure out the response.

I think the InControl apps are pretty weak ... the only one that interested me was Stitcher but it does not work well via InControl, you can only see the home screen and can't access your favorites or shows to listen to offline.

Additionally, it seems to take over the phone that way, so you can't easily get back to your music, it won't see or recognize playlists, artists, etc. Even over Bluetooth the iPhone interface is weak and balky.

Also, playing music via the iPhone over Bluetooth I'm getting odd little "skips" in the music, not dropouts but it seems like it's hitting the fast forward button for a fraction of a second so there's a seamless jump ahead for a half-beat in the music -- like an old vinyl record skipping. It's bizarre.
Hello, I sat there for a while trying to work this out for iPhone 7 and 5S with the lack of SMS I was getting through on my F-Pace 8" screen.

First connect the iPhone (either 5S or 7 tested on iOS 10.3.2) to the in-car entertainment system for both music and phone via Bluetooth, no lightning cable required or no Jaguar Apps needed, then make sure you've got "Show Notifications" turned on under the Bluetooth setting on the paired device (in my case Jaguar F-Pace) by selecting the blue "i" in the circle on the far right next to the device in the iPhones Settings > Bluetooth menu.

Once you've done that you MUST go into the iPhones Settings > Notifications > Messages menu and you MUST allow at least "Show on Lock Screen" once set come back out of the Messages menu so the setting takes (lock or don't lock the iPhone it doesn't matter, maybe just press Home) and start sending some test SMS messages to your connected iPhone and see what happens.

See screenshots below, change the Message setting to "Show Preview" to off I suggest, but that's up to you.

Also maybe check the Jaguar App if you have it installed on your iPhone, notifications settings, but they should be good by default, again screenshot attached.

Now all I've got to get working is the ability to "Reply" and "Template Reply" and get the contacts artwork / picture through.

Hope this helps.

T

Attached Thumbnails InControl questions (2016 XF S)-1.jpg   InControl questions (2016 XF S)-2.jpg   InControl questions (2016 XF S)-3.jpg   InControl questions (2016 XF S)-4.jpg   InControl questions (2016 XF S)-5.jpg  

InControl questions (2016 XF S)-6.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 04:43 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Much less effort, though not documented: on the iPhone go to Settings / Bluetooth / Jaguar XF (or whatever you named the car on Bluetooth) and enable the option Show Notifications. No need to mess around with cables first or iPhone notifications (although perhaps these do need to be enabled by default, mine already were).

Now that you mention it, I do not believe that I have ever seen contacts artwork showing. There are other threads about the problems some people have with album artwork... all goes to show that the ICT is currently a work in progress.

Reply and Template Reply are disabled when the vehicle is in motion, as a safety feature. On the positive side Siri is not too bad for dictating messages.