XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Reliability low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability low?

Newbie here and I am considering going from my Lexus GS F-Sport to a 2018 XF R-Sport, BUT: today I came across the reliability ratings from U.S. news... a measly 2 Stars, wow! (https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jaguar/xf). Is this car really that bad? I know it had its issues and associated reputation in the past, but I thoughts that this is all indeed in the past. What does everyone here think about this low rating? Here are all the pros and cons from US News and World:

Pros

• Comfortable, roomy cabin
  • One of the largest cargo spaces in the class
  • Well-rounded selection of peppy engines
  • Superb fuel economy
Cons
  • Portions of infotainment system are overly complicated
  • Navigation system doesn't work consistently
  • Low predicted reliability rating

Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Those who actually own modern Jaguars will tell you that they are indeed very reliable. It seems that theses days any glitch in any electronic component causes cries of dismay. But the vast majority of complaints relate to a very simple thing:low battery voltage caused by infrequent use and/or short runs insufficient to keep the battery at full charge. The result can be a hiccup in any of the electronic systems when the controlling modules do not get sufficient voltage. This is not confined to Jaguars by any means.
Reliable? We have a 2002 x-Type that has had 2, yes two repairs in 15 years of daily use:replacement of an 02 sensor and replacement of a water pump. And a 2007 XK that has not had a single issue, and a 2005 X-type wagon that has had ZERO issues, and...the list is longer and continues in the same vein. Jaguars are as reliable as any modern luxury car. Just feed them full voltage.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

I suspect they have very limited data to assess a low volume 2018 model. If you click on 2016 model which is the same car it shows as 3.5 out of 5 for reliability. So I wouldn't place much confidence in the 2...

Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love my 2016, it's been fantastic.

Did have a minor issue with the SOS button not working consistently when I first got the car. Thankfully didn't have a use for it, although Jaguar sorted it out and it's been fine ever since.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by johnstred
Cons
  • Portions of infotainment system are overly complicated
  • Navigation system doesn't work consistently
  • Low predicted reliability rating
Well, the first item is definitely true. However, I haven't had any problems with the nav system not working. As far as reliability goes, I think the person who posted the ratings on the 2016 is reasonably accurate. Its not horrible, but its not going to be the best either.

Overall I will probably buy my car when the lease is up. So I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Reliability is subjective. Did it leave you stranded? Did it fail to protect you as expected? Or did a feature fail to perform as advertised? I have never been stranded due to an engineering defect in almost 60 years of driving. Most of the "reliability" issues I read about are a small percentage of owners. Doesn't help if you're in that "small percentage". If you are really curious read the forums about the model you are interested in. I think you'll find the XF X260 is very reliable.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Reliability is subjective. Did it leave you stranded? Did it fail to protect you as expected? Or did a feature fail to perform as advertised? I have never been stranded due to an engineering defect in almost 60 years of driving. Most of the "reliability" issues I read about are a small percentage of owners. Doesn't help if you're in that "small percentage". If you are really curious read the forums about the model you are interested in. I think you'll find the XF X260 is very reliable.
How about leaving me stranded 3 times in 2 months? That's not acceptable. Primary cause was a manufacturing defect. The reason it had to happen 3 times is because they don't log enough information in the computer to have fixed it after the first time, when they should have. That tells me that its not going to be a 5 star reliable car.

Don't even go into the glitches with the infotainment system. Some have been fixed, some not.

As I said, its not bad, but its not going to be at the top of the reliability list either. As I also said, I do like the car and plan on buying it when the lease is up. People just need real information so the can evaluate it properly based on what is most important to them.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
How about leaving me stranded 3 times in 2 months? ......

You definitely fall into the "small percentage" range of owners I referred to. I'd be upset too.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I’ve had my 2017 XF for exactly a year now. I just took it to the dealer for the annual maintenance with zero problems. No squeaks, no rattles, no performance or reliability issues. The only problem I had early on was an issue when the right mirror. When it dipped in reverse, it would not always return to its normal position. The front parking sensors would also work intermittently. Both fixed with a simple software update and hardly a reason to trash the car. So far, the XF has been remarkable and unlike many who constantly complain about the InControl Touch Pro system, I like it and it works very well in my XF. I think some with earlier software versions may have been justified in their frustration, but mine is up to date and works fine. I just drove roundtrip from northern to southern California (almost 1,400 miles total trip) and achieved 30.3 mpg with a 380hp V-6 (I made the same trip in my 2017 Mercedes E300 with 4 cyl. and got 35.6 mpg). In comparison to countless BMW’s and other cars I have owned over the years, the XF has been great. My last BMW 5 series was an excellent car with a few quirks. I would rate my XF S much higher in every area, including performance and handling.

My 2014 F-Type has also been virtually trouble free. A few minor service bulletin fixes and a slight leak in the water pump, all corrected under warranty. Far less problems than other cars I have had over the years, it has been excellent.

For comparison, my Mercedes E300 has also been extremely reliable. Only trip to the dealer was to fix the motorized steering column shaft which ground itself to pieces. A known problem on this car and replaced under warranty with no issues since. An excellent car as well.

Like many, I was hesitant to move to the Jaguar brand over concerns about reliability. So far, those fears have been unwarranted.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 16 S for 8 months and had no issues. Love the car. Go for it.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased an ex Demo 2017 XF R Sport model with many extras (technology package, soft close doors, 20" wheels etc.).

Some observations:

1. Although this car had only 3500 or so miles when I purchased it, there is a lot of wear in places I would not expect e.g. lower inside trim between doors has a lot of marks due to people getting in and out. This is worrying and it brings into doubt its longevity.

2. A lot of scuff marks on interior trim where people have kicked it. Not removable, you have to replace it.

3. Audio/Navigation system chokes on my iPhone content (it cannot handle 30 plus playlists and 10K plus tracks). My wife's 2018 X3 handles it without issue as did my previous 2015 428iGC. Navigation is virtually useless in my area. The route optimisation software is terrible and inaccurate.

4. Tracking was misaligned. Seems that testers kept hitting curbs....

5. As per another poster the passenger side door mirror did not return to its set position after going into reverse. Software upgrade corrected this.

6. Occasional issues with the full Signature LED headlights not being able to calibrate on start up.

7. AEB (Automatic Electronic Braking) seems to go offline for no reason.

8. The plastic mirror mounting coverings were damaged and had to be replaced at my cost ($2400). They were marked by washing or something like that, or so the dealer said and Jaguar would not cover it. I bought it with the marks but thought they were just water drops, however it appears they were something much worse, however the fact that washing a car can do this damage is not encouraging.

On the plus side:

1. The car drives like a dream.

2. The car handles very well.

3. Enormous trunk/boot.

4. Very good MPG for a engine this powerful and fun.

5. Looks very good and is different to the obvious German competitors.

6. Seats comfortable.

if you can take the vagaries of the car and the dealership is good, go for it. BTW this is a better car than the previous model XF 250 I owned. Lighter, faster and better interior.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I suspect they have very limited data to assess a low volume 2018 model. If you click on 2016 model which is the same car it shows as 3.5 out of 5 for reliability. So I wouldn't place much confidence in the 2...
Yes, I agree. Low volume models get trashed by the few who have problems, some of which are subjective. Jaguar moved from LUCAS engineering and their wretched electronics years ago and the Jaguars have been just as good or better than their competition. My 2016 XF AWD Prestige has been the best and most reliable luxury car I have ever owned and I had MBs and BMWs previously for 25 years.