XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Xf 35t r-sport shut off when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xf 35t r-sport shut off when coming to a stop

My 2016 cuts off when coming to a stop lately with no warning to the point I have to put it in park and restart the car,took it to the dealer for service an a oil change at 11k miles but they did not find the issue. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's not the eco mode because it shuts off to the point of no radio,ac, etc

Old 06-30-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the 2017 model year of the same car and have not experienced this issue. Are you using auto stop/start? If so, does it die after the engine has stopped as a result of the auto stop start kicking in? I am wondering whether it is as a result of a malfunctioning auto stop start function. Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:50 AM

It is NOT the auto stop function, the car cuts off and the dash lights up and I have to push the start button to get the car moving again

Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Last year my car cut off, but it did it while driving too, so I suspect your problem is different (mine issues was a bad cable to the fuel pump).

I remember someone else on this forum having an issue similar to yours in the last year. You might find that post and try to find out what their problem turned out to be,

Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by cbr629
It is NOT the auto stop function, the car cuts off and the dash lights up and I have to push the start button to get the car moving again
Sorry, I may have been misunderstood. What I was asking was did the engine stop and not restart when auto stop/start was engaged ie. with auto start stop engaged, did the engine stop as expected, but refuse to restart when you released the brake and pushed the accelerator and require a push button start instead. From your discussion this was obviously not the start stop function acting normally and I did not intend to suggest that it was. I have seen cases where when the auto stop start was engaged, the engine would not restart after a stop and require a normal start using the engine start button, in other words the auto stop start became auto stop and not auto start!! This was a software bug ( a friends 2016 XF).

However if the auto start stop was not in use (it had been disabled) and the car simply died when you came to a stop, this may be a completely different issue. Fuel pump, other intermittent electrical issues etc.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Sorry, I may have been misunderstood. What I was asking was did the engine stop and not restart when auto stop/start was engaged ie. with auto start stop engaged, did the engine stop as expected, but refuse to restart when you released the brake and pushed the accelerator and require a push button start instead. From your discussion this was obviously not the start stop function acting normally and I did not intend to suggest that it was. I have seen cases where when the auto stop start was engaged, the engine would not restart after a stop and require a normal start using the engine start button, in other words the auto stop start became auto stop and not auto start!! This was a software bug ( a friends 2016 XF).

However if the auto start stop was not in use (it had been disabled) and the car simply died when you came to a stop, this may be a completely different issue. Fuel pump, other intermittent electrical issues etc.
It's no problem I appreciate the input...the auto/stop feature was engaged everytime and it appears to be a software issue as you suggested. There is NO warning or check engine lights and it kinda makes me nervous when paying tolls or coming to a stop light. When I took it to the dealer about it they didn't seem to concerned and since there was no check engine light I don't think they even bothered. So I came here for some answers and this is my first Jag and I hope this is what I am looking forward to,at 11k miles it should have zero issues and if it does need a software update it seems like the dealer should have picked that up. I guess I will have to try another dealer while its still under warranty.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

... it seems like the dealer should have picked that up. I guess I will have to try another dealer while its still under warranty.
It's natural to assume the dealer knows what they are doing but that's not always the case. In this instance I'm guessing the technician was paid to perform the service and not troubleshoot and intermittent problem. I know it's a hassle but keep taking it back until they fix it.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
It's natural to assume the dealer knows what they are doing but that's not always the case. In this instance I'm guessing the technician was paid to perform the service and not troubleshoot and intermittent problem. I know it's a hassle but keep taking it back until they fix it.
Not to give the dealers a hard time, but I will, they are what I call "cheerfully incompetent". I even gave them a list of my issues and they actually addressed 25% of them. I kept going back until they were done. So I can support this sentiment. Very cheerful and helpful when I went back or drew their attention to the remaining unaddressed issues. It once took me 2 weeks to get what I wanted done. Nice people but not very good. So sad.

If it was not for the dealer I would much more positive about Jags, but they are hobbled by dealers who are not quite up to the job in my opinion. BMW are much better and MB slightly better but worse than BMW. Best dealers I dealt with were SaaB... Now there's a thing.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Talking

Well just to update I gave the dealer a bad review using google and the service manager posted a reply, apologized and left his number. I called and explained my situation and he asked me to bring the car back,he'll give me a loaner and address the problem, he also said the Range Rover just got a service bulletin about the auto/stop issue and he sure it's the same with Jaguar and like it's been said a software update may be the ticket!!!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Well just to update I gave the dealer a bad review using google and the service manager posted a reply, apologized and left his number. I called and explained my situation and he asked me to bring the car back,he'll give me a loaner and address the problem, he also said the Range Rover just got a service bulletin about the auto/stop issue and he sure it's the same with Jaguar and like it's been said a software update may be the ticket!!!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. If they do, indeed, fix it with a software update, let us know. That way we know what to do if it happens to us.

Sad that you need to complain to get what you should have received initially. My problem is not that the dealers do not eventually do what you need, they do - eventually, but you have to go through all the pain and conflict of complaining to get it done. This should not be necessary. It has become the norm to be surprised when you do not need to make a fuss. This is not how it is supposed to work. Sigh....

Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM

After the update the car shut off as normal and I can disable the auto stop function now as well