XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 Supercharger making weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2010 Supercharger making weird noise

So my dealer called me to let me know I can’t pick up the car now that my purchase paperwork is done due to a mechanical issue. He said the valve cover gaskets had just been changed during the major 60k mi service and the supercharger was making a noise like a box of rocks rolling around. He said there was some smoke coming from the engine bay. I attribute that to the valve cover gaskets and any spilled oil. The supercharger has me stumped. Either the bearings in the pulley snout are bad or the bearings for the blades are. What are your thoughts? Jaguar has the car right now and figuring things out (at no cost to me). Dealer says he can’t sell me the car unless it’s 100% because he wouldn’t feel right. There are some good businesses left!

Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoemedic
So my dealer called me to let me know I can’t pick up the car now that my purchase paperwork is done due to a mechanical issue. He said the valve cover gaskets had just been changed during the major 60k mi service and the supercharger was making a noise like a box of rocks rolling around. He said there was some smoke coming from the engine bay. I attribute that to the valve cover gaskets and any spilled oil. The supercharger has me stumped. Either the bearings in the pulley snout are bad or the bearings for the blades are. What are your thoughts? Jaguar has the car right now and figuring things out (at no cost to me). Dealer says he can’t sell me the car unless it’s 100% because he wouldn’t feel right. There are some good businesses left!
A noise from the supercharger like a "box of rocks rolling around" is exactly what a worn supercharger torsion isolator/coupler sounds like. Usually described as a "bunch of marbles rattling around in a tin can" in these parts. Heaps of threads and posts on this, search is your friend!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a TSB on this, I had it done on my 2010 XFR, and it fixed the issue completely. They also replaced the water pump at the same time while they were at it because they go bad too. The dealer should be well aware of this supercharger issue. Box of rocks is exactly what it is.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Vig
There was a TSB on this, I had it done on my 2010 XFR, and it fixed the issue completely. They also replaced the water pump at the same time while they were at it because they go bad too. The dealer should be well aware of this supercharger issue. Box of rocks is exactly what it is.
so the dealer called me back. The car was sent to Jaguar and the supercharger basically imploded. Looked like serious carnage. So they are replacing the supercharger and going through the top end of the motor to make sure no other damage occurred

Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would make sure you get some sort of a warranty on the car when u buy it, if the supercharger imploded you could have some serious issues in the near future. U may love the car but just know the risk.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:07 PM

No need at this point. The Dealer was crooked. The whole supercharger story was made up. The guy sold the car to me, then after receiving my deposit and while waiting for my signed sales contract and signed loan approval to be returned via FedEx, he sold it to someone else. Then 10 days after the sale came up with a phony story about the supercharger to blow me off while they tried to find another car. It was only after I got suspicious and did a title search on the car that I found out. He had no intention of returning my money until he got caught.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Wow....that is a new one for me...my uncle was a used car salesman for years...i heard a lot of iffy things.... mostly cosmetic stuff and some no smoke engine treatment, never an outright money scam though....my dad would have clocked him....reminded me of Kurt Russell in used cars movie....in his later years, he went honest, then retired

Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Daaaammmnnnnn... glad you figure out their scam.
Put their name up here so other people can stay away from those crooks.