XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XFR anything I need to know?

Old 07-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 XFR anything I need to know?

Hey guys,

Im back and I THINK, i may have finally found a car I am happy with . Its a 2010 XFR, at a price that works for me, its a little over the mileage i usually like to buy being a little over 90k I usually go between 60-70. But judging by you guys previously its not a huge concern.

Apart from the obvious and what I have been told on here before ( rear differential, leaking water pump, gear selector, screen and bluetooth functions, and dash leather.) Is there anything else I should have my mechanic aim to check specifically tomorrow?

Also what are the specific things to look for with gear selector?

On the carfax report it says water pump replaced so thats good, but it also says 'ENGINE/POWER TRAIN COMPUTER/MODULE REPLACED'

Does this literally mean the engine was replaced? Im not sure how that would be so on a clean title car ? Can anyone enlighten me.

Any info before tomorrow to provide my mechanic in aiding me making asafe purchase is greatly appreciated!!

PS: Anyone got experience with Reliable Protection extended warranty? Is it worth it?, Are they good?

Thanks again!!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The 5.0 S/C in the XFR has a "black box" called the Engine Control Module or ECM. It is sometimes also called the Power Control Module or PCM. In most other cars the same thing is called the Engine Control Unit or ECU.
Component #2 on page 493 of the Workshop Manual, see here:

I've never heard of this being a problem component on the XFR but I can't see any downside to it having been replaced.

Apart from the things you have listed the only "problem" with the XFR is the way it chews through brake rotors, brake pads and tyres fairly quickly, so check the condition of these before you buy, and if any need replacing use that as a bargaining chip to reduce the price. I did this with my XFR and got $3,000 knocked off the price, then renewed the rotors, pads and tyres myself for $2,000.

The following users liked this post:
webshark (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The 5.0 S/C in the XFR has a "black box" called the Engine Control Module or ECM. It is sometimes also called the Power Control Module or PCM. In most other cars the same thing is called the Engine Control Unit or ECU.
Component #2 on page 493 of the Workshop Manual, see here:

I've never heard of this being a problem component on the XFR but I can't see any downside to it having been replaced.

Apart from the things you have listed the only "problem" with the XFR is the way it chews through brake rotors, brake pads and tyres fairly quickly, so check the condition of these before you buy, and if any need replacing use that as a bargaining chip to reduce the price. I did this with my XFR and got $3,000 knocked off the price, then renewed the rotors, pads and tyres myself for $2,000.
Oh ok so thats what that is referring to being replaced? Thanks for that.. Is the 2010 XFR, pretty well reviewed in everyones opinion here?

Old 07-16-2016, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes. Great car

As mentioned above brakes, rotors and tyres for sure as its not a cheap replacement

Would also have the wheels balance checked - the jag 20inch alloys are very soft and easily bent. And they run around 600usd+ each to replace - and on an expensive car a highway wobble is pretty disappointing!

Good luck. You'll love the XFR

Old 07-16-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Yes. Great car

As mentioned above brakes, rotors and tyres for sure as its not a cheap replacement

Would also have the wheels balance checked - the jag 20inch alloys are very soft and easily bent. And they run around 600usd+ each to replace - and on an expensive car a highway wobble is pretty disappointing!

Good luck. You'll love the XFR
Thank you.. The dealer actually has another XF premium there but it has 22" concept one wheels that look great. He said he would throw them in as in replace the factory XFR ones as part of the deal . Is this a wise choice on my behalf? They certainly look much nicer and the XFR wheels are slightly scuffed also.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

No - don't do it on the 22 inch wheels!! Ok - just a personal pov but the 20inch has petty little rubber beyond the wheels, ride can be a bit hard on rough roads and easily dented on potholes. So I can't imagine how uncomfortable 22inch would be. But I'm not speaking from experience - there was at least one person on the forum who ran 22inch and I thought it wasn't that comfortable but search around and see

Think it depends where you are going to drive. If it's smooth and well maintained freeway then it might be fine. I live in north east USA now and the road surfaces are not great...

If I were you I'd push to negotiate a discount off the car price due to the wheel condition and buy a set of aftermarket 20inch to replace the banged up OEM ones. Many of us have done that over time / in my case as I needed a second set for winter tyres anyway. You can get a good selection for the 1600-1800 usd price point

As I say, just my opinion. Will let someone who has actually run 22inch give a real experience opinion

You could also drive the other jag they have with the 22inch on it and see what the ride is like

Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
No - don't do it on the 22 inch wheels!! Ok - just a personal pov but the 20inch has petty little rubber beyond the wheels, ride can be a bit hard on rough roads and easily dented on potholes. So I can't imagine how uncomfortable 22inch would be. But I'm not speaking from experience - there was at least one person on the forum who ran 22inch and I thought it wasn't that comfortable but search around and see

Think it depends where you are going to drive. If it's smooth and well maintained freeway then it might be fine. I live in north east USA now and the road surfaces are not great...

If I were you I'd push to negotiate a discount off the car price due to the wheel condition and buy a set of aftermarket 20inch to replace the banged up OEM ones. Many of us have done that over time / in my case as I needed a second set for winter tyres anyway. You can get a good selection for the 1600-1800 usd price point

As I say, just my opinion. Will let someone who has actually run 22inch give a real experience opinion

You could also drive the other jag they have with the 22inch on it and see what the ride is like
Yea good point love to hear more opinions on that from people with bigger rims.. Thanks !

Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the transmission fluid changed if it hasn't been already.

webshark (07-19-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I have OEM 20" Hydras and although they look good I would prefer a set of 19" or even 18" wheels for maximum ride comfort. Also, all 4 were bent when I bought it with 28k miles. As others have said, they bend easily.

webshark (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys. So before I pull the trigger on this today can you guys reassure me that 92k miles isn't a silly number to be buying a car at if its in good shape? Haha thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Depends on what kind of miles and how the owner treated the car. Did it sit out in the weather day and night? Did it do a lot of stop and go driving through pot hole ridden streets? Was all of the maintenance done on time? Etc.

I always say when you are buying a used car, you are buying a previous owner. They make all the difference in the car you are buying. And if you are buying from a dealer, it's a crap shoot because you don't get to know the previous owner until you have owned the car for a while and learned the hard way whether they took care of the car.

webshark (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 AM

Yea its a tough call when buying from dealer.. From a viewing standpoint in stands head and shoulders above most other cars ive seen even with lower mileage. The same dealer has a 2010 premium, with the 22" custom rims with 34k miles for and extra 2k,. It seems like the sensible buy but it aint no XFR.. And im really not that sensible..

Has there been many owners of the S/C and R on here with over 100k miles who are running smooth and problem free?

Old 07-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Yea its a tough call when buying from dealer.. From a viewing standpoint in stands head and shoulders above most other cars ive seen even with lower mileage. The same dealer has a 2010 premium, with the 22" custom rims with 34k miles for and extra 2k,. It seems like the sensible buy but it aint no XFR.. And im really not that sensible..

Has there been many owners of the S/C and R on here with over 100k miles who are running smooth and problem free?
Well I've had mine since 2014 and 52kmi, I'm now at 74kmi. I've had 2 major issues, The A/C condenser sprang a leak, and the cooling fan went out = $2700, both were covered under my extended warr which cost me $3500. I do most of my own wrenching and I can tell you the Jag is not very hard to work on especially if you get the service manual or use Jags ToPIX, but Jag service is expensive. I'd get an extended warr. if its offered, or you can set some $$ aside because if your coming up on 100kmi? The following;
Fuel pump
Alt
Intercooler pump..etc. are all getting up there in use.
Plus the normal wear items of Plugs and O2 sensors belts, pulleys, tensioners, diff lube and trans service will need looking into also. All that said,
THE XFR IS BY FAR THE BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. Punch it from 70 to 110mph 1 time and you'll see..lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 07-19-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Thank you.. The dealer actually has another XF premium there but it has 22" concept one wheels that look great. He said he would throw them in as in replace the factory XFR ones as part of the deal . Is this a wise choice on my behalf? They certainly look much nicer and the XFR wheels are slightly scuffed also.
I got a guy in Chino that will straighten and refinish the stock XFR Nevis rims for $125 Ea. DON'T do 22's..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well I've had mine since 2014 and 52kmi, I'm now at 74kmi. I've had 2 major issues, The A/C condenser sprang a leak, and the cooling fan went out = $2700, both were covered under my extended warr which cost me $3500. I do most of my own wrenching and I can tell you the Jag is not very hard to work on especially if you get the service manual or use Jags ToPIX, but Jag service is expensive. I'd get an extended warr. if its offered, or you can set some $$ aside because if your coming up on 100kmi? The following;
Fuel pump
Alt
Intercooler pump..etc. are all getting up there in use.
Plus the normal wear items of Plugs and O2 sensors belts, pulleys, tensioners, diff lube and trans service will need looking into also. All that said,
THE XFR IS BY FAR THE BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. Punch it from 70 to 110mph 1 time and you'll see..lol
Thanks for info!