XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0 S/C Engine Rebuild

Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs View Post
Project still not dead. On the upside, these turned up today. Custom forged pistons made from 4032 for it's low expansion rate and resistance to wear, and costed in phosphate and grafal. Awaiting resized conrods with ARP bolts.
Who did you get to fab the new rods?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 PM
Received 215 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Who did you get to fab the new rods?
I didn't - since the factory rods are already forged, and I didn't have an unlimited build budget, I decided to keep them (and get two replacements for the two that had spun bearings). I used ARP bolts in the rods I had the big ends of the rods line-honed to compensate for differing clamping forces. Some see it as overkill but I thought it was worth doing.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 PM

So I hoped I wouldn't be here, but....

I have an issue with the Exhaust Cam phaser on Bank 1 putting the car into Restricted Performance mode when I creep it forward on idle when the engine's warm. However, it consistently happens when the engine's warm.

I've spent a few weeks on this one and firmly ruled out any kind of issue with the solenoid (which is the obvious first go-to), the wiring, and the sensor, using all manner of test equipment. I do now have a dual-channel oscilloscope in my array of tools though I have my Autel graphing the exhaust cam advance/retard angles and you can see when the engine is hot and you put it under load at idle, Bank 1's exhaust cam "struggles to maintain" the angle and over a period of a few seconds it drops back down to it's default position, at which point the ECU throws a code, it goes into restricted performance mode, and the ECU stops trying to modify the exhaust cam timing.

Sadly, if it's not an electrical problem, then it has to be mechanical. Given that it only happens when the engine's hot this means that it's either: the oil pressure when the engine's hot (and the oil's thin) is dropping too low (maybe due to too-large bearing clearances), resulting in a lack oil flow to the phaser, so it's unable to keep the timing advanced; or the phaser itself is faulty.

I was able to rule out the first possibility with my permanently connected electronic oil pressure gauge as well as a mechanical gauge to verify - the oil pressure is meeting the specs in the Workshop Training Manual for the engine at temperature, and in fact looks consistently healthy (which I'm very relieved about). Additionally, it's unlikely an oil pressure issue would only affect one phaser, but more importantly the Training Manual explains that the cam phasers (unlike previous designs) are not dependent on oil pressure, only a supply of oil. It's possible the tiny mesh filter is partially blocked with some crap and lower oil pressure when hot can't get enough oil to the phaser to maintain it's supply (and of course when removing the phaser I'll replace it anyway), but this also seems pretty unlikely.

Which leaves the phaser itself. All four phasers were purchased brand new when I built the engine, from one of the many Jaguar Dealers that sell on eBay. However, the Service Manual is careful to state that if these phasers are dropped or subject to impact that they must be replaced.

I don't remember dropping this one or subjecting it to an undue impact, but it's entirely possible someone kicked it around in a delivery van or warehouse on it's way to me - I don't remember the boxes arriving particularly well-packed.

So that's where I am. I've already purchased a new phaser (from my local Jaguar dealer to avoid any damage in transit) along with replacement filters for both the exhaust and inlet cams whose phasers have to be removed as a pair, and other items like front crank seal etc. The plan at this point is to just remove the phasers and maybe check the exhaust one for rattles lol, check and replace the mesh filters behind them, and then fit a new exhaust phaser. At least I have the advantage of having done this before.

Oh, and I've bought new heat insulation pads for the inlet manifolds due to the mess the last ones made of my beautiful cam covers!

Hopefully the next update I give will be better news...

Last edited by davetibbs; 05-31-2019 at 01:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (07-19-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn... that sucks!
Hopefully the phasers were the problem and all this is not for nothing.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enjoyed reading this this thread on the forum but sorry you have to go back in there to replace the VVT, it is certainly time consuming.
Does anyone know if there are oversize crank rod bearings (0.75) available on the market for the 5L V8? Or where can I buy an aftermarket or replacement crankshaft? My LR4 had a spun rod bearing and my machine shop said it's only salvageable if we can get oversize bearings.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 169 Likes on 135 Posts

Very depressing. Rebuilding engines today isn't what it used to be. Chances of success are much lower now.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 AM

Quick update: Engine reassembled with new VVT phaser, problem appears to be permanently fixed. These things seem delicate, so worth bearing in mind. If I ever had to buy another I'd get it from the dealer rather than having it shipped from somewhere. Dealers pack their boxes better when shipping.

Still - now to put some miles on it!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

hopefully the new VVT phaser will give a longterm solution to the problem.
Curious to learn whether any damage can be seen on the old phaser which
potentially caused the malfunction.
Have you already checked it in detail ?

Best regards
Ulrich

Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by f-driver View Post
hopefully the new VVT phaser will give a longterm solution to the problem.
Curious to learn whether any damage can be seen on the old phaser which
potentially caused the malfunction.
Have you already checked it in detail ?

Best regards
Ulrich
Hey Ulrich,

I haven't disassembled the faulty VVT phaser, but it's sat on my shelf ready for analysis! I will update with pics if I find anything.