XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Are all XF sunroofs noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took my car in for the two year service and they said that the sunroof seal dries out so they applied some lubrication to it. No squeaks so far.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 XF was fixed by the dealer. There were two bolts that had come loose in the sunroof surround and caused the rattle. They refastened them with lock tight.
Evidently this is a well known problem.
Bulletin JTB00240NAS1 Thread locker to certain fasteners was found on this site and very helpful.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2011 SF. The sunroof was rattling at certain speeds so I took it into the dealer. They said the screws were loose and the tightened them. Rattling has not reappeared. Kinda scary/annoying that the screws were loose in a car with less than 10K miles - or any miles for that matter.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a MY12 Premium Luxury with a squeaky sunroof. The entire mechanism was replaced, which introduced a different noise: rattle from the rear of the mechanism. I've since applied silicone spray to the seal (whilst the sunroof is closed) and this has stopped the squeaks. But not the rattle - which actually goes away after the car is warm. I'm currently driving in heavy rain, so expect the sunroof to begin squeaking again soon.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM

I forgot to mention this in my prior post. I accelerated from a red light with my wife and daughter in the car and we heard what sounded like something sliding down the interior of the headliner from the area around the sunroof to the left rear of the car. Sounded too big for a screw so maybe the mechanic left a wrench?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ddanielcigars
After one year, my 2012 XF sunroof creaks. I now remember I test drove the car again just before delivery, and heard the squeak. They replaced a broken clip, and off I went with my new XF.Taking mine to dealership this week...will update thread after servicing.
My wife also has a '12 XF, no squeaks or rattles in her sunroof.
Follow up after visit to dealer:
Dealer stated that "squeaks and adjustments" are only covered under warranty for 12 months/12k miles, and that Jag would not pay them for warranting the work since my 2012 over mileage (20k miles). I think it's total BS to have that policy. So they added new clips and foam padding....for $415 w/tax.
I also have a slight speaker buzz on my front door panel speaker, which they said they wouldn't cover for the same reason. Has anyone else been told these types of things?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Never any issues except brake dust

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I bought mine as a CPO from out of state, the sunroof was loose, was actually sitting 1/4" lower than the roof line and the headliner was hanging lower than it should and very loose, so the dealer in my area took care of it.

Spent two days being repaired because all the screws holding the sunroof in we're rolling around in the headliner and needed all new clips to hold the headliner in place. They ordered parts overnight and got it done quickly.

The sunroof was flush with the roof line, and was quiet unless I was on a bumpy road (like most in the area) and at every bump something was rattling. The headliner was fixed and looks great now.

Now that the weather has turned colder, the roof is noisy all the time.

I hate being a nagging customer, my local dealer is working with me but I feel bad because I did not buy it from them but am asking them to fix it.
loose.
I have had both a XF Prem Lux and a XF SC. I never had an issue with anything of any significance. The sunroofs worked perfectly and never had any squeaks or rattles anywhere. The biggest issue I had was that I did not care for the all that black brake dust, so I switched to ceramic pads.

The following users liked this post:
ddanielcigars (09-23-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Hi DDanielCigars - I had the sunroof clips and foam pads fitted by dealer under warranty about 6 months ago - and mine is a 2010. Lots of others seemed to have the same - there is a tech service bulletin for this.

Sunroof seems to have two separate issues - the rattling headliner (which the tsb addresses with replacement clips) and a creaking which some lubricant like SilGlyde on the seal fixes. Mine is now finally silent!

Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
I have had both a XF Prem Lux and a XF SC. I never had an issue with anything of any significance. The sunroofs worked perfectly and never had any squeaks or rattles anywhere. The biggest issue I had was that I did not care for the all that black brake dust, so I switched to ceramic pads.
The black brake dust drives my crazy and I will be switching to ceramic pads too. Are ceramic pads much more expensive?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 AM

DDaniel, what warranty did you get with your car? I have a 2011 and it came with a 5yr/50k warranty.

- Bugga

Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ohbugga
DDaniel, what warranty did you get with your car? I have a 2011 and it came with a 5yr/50k warranty.

- Bugga

Thanks for the reply!
I bought the car new, and it has the original manufacturer's warranty (5yr/50,000 miles) intact.
The dealer told me that this particular repair falls under the "rattles, squeaks and adjustment" which is only for 12 mths/12k miles; and since my car has 20k miles on it, was not covered by the Jaguar factory warranty. Service Manager said so as well.
I believe I will contact their regional office to confirm.
I find it hard to believe that Jaguar has this "escape clause" (paraphrasing) as their policy.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi DDanielCigars - I had the sunroof clips and foam pads fitted by dealer under warranty about 6 months ago - and mine is a 2010. Lots of others seemed to have the same - there is a tech service bulletin for this.

Sunroof seems to have two separate issues - the rattling headliner (which the tsb addresses with replacement clips) and a creaking which some lubricant like SilGlyde on the seal fixes. Mine is now finally silent!

Thanks for the reply!!
I'm not happy that the local dealer didn't cover it under the warranty, especially while I see so many owners on this site with the exact same problem that were.
I'm going to contact their regional office to inquire.
Thanks again!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Not too costly for no dust if you do it yourself.

Originally Posted by MarkN
The black brake dust drives my crazy and I will be switching to ceramic pads too. Are ceramic pads much more expensive?
Go to this link which is in the How To Section: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

A 4 wheel set for an XFSC or XFR were about $116, A standard XF maybe less and have more choices.

MarkN (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by edobernig
Go to this link which is in the How To Section: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

A 4 wheel set for an XFSC or XFR were about $116, A standard XF maybe less and have more choices.
Thank you VERY much. I am NOT a "do it yourself" so I will ask my shop to do this next time my brakes are due to be replaced.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 AM

Sounds like BS to me. I bought my 2010 used this year and the dealer fixed the loose bolts under warrantee at no charge.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I had all sorts of issues with the sunroof and roof lining in my 2008 XF, mainly squeaks and creaks, but then there ended up being slight fracturing in the metal (I didnt see it until it was pointed out). It was all a warranty fix and ironed out within maybe 18 months of me buying it new. I have not had any trouble at all with the roof lining or sunroof in my current one, a 2012 model.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default wind noise

Had my sunroof cassette replaced a few weeks ago ('13 XFR) as it was badly out of alignment and would not close properly. Now with the new sunroof cassette, I get fairly significant wind noise at highway speeds in the closed position, as the rear half of the sunroof is canted up ever so slightly (such that the high speed air over the roof seems to be effected). The wind noise makes it sound as if it is not sealing properly, but despite the wind noise, I can't feel any moving air when I put my hand up there.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust where the sunroof stops in the closed position? If I tap the retract button for a split second so that the sunroof starts to move downwards, the wind noise disappears. On my previous car (Infiniti), there was a way to make the sunroof electronics "relearn" the position of each sunroof setting (up, closed, retracted/open). If there is a similar way to reprogram the XF sunroof electronics, please advise...

Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 AM

I started getting wind noise at highwAy speeds and it drives me nuts. It gets better (quieter) when I close the shade. I took it the dealer and they told me I need a gasket, which they didn't have, so they ordered one. Mine is a CPO and they said it's not covered and costs $192. I whined as little and they said they will cover it as being preexisting to original warrant which wad in effect when I first got the car.

I hope the gasket quotes it and they are right.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Default 2010 XF Sunroof Rattle

It took two trips to the dealer but now it is quiet. Evidently it is well known that the bolts or nuts securing the frame can come loose and then rattle around. They refastened them with lock tight.
Mike
2004 XK8
2010 XF
1967 Austin Healey 3000

Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having sunroof issues and also the front of the dash also rattles after some minor bumps. Is this normal? I know every car I've been in has rattling noises going over bumps but not sure about the XF 2013.

Quick Reply: Are all XF sunroofs noisy?