XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Any driven the aluminum XF and how did it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Any driven the aluminum XF and how did it compare?

Anyone thinking of upgrading or are you happy with your XF

Old 09-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You mean the new XF? There is a separate section in the forum for the new XF with lots of posts about new experience with them. Mostly positive but a sense that they are a lot less luxurious. And no V8 supercharged yet...

Old 09-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a '16 V6 AWD for a loaner a few months ago and it had its pros and cons compared to my highly optioned '13 V6 AWD.

Cons:
-I found the interior to be considerably cheaper feeling than my Sport Portfolio pack. From dash to seats to gear selector, you name it, it felt cheaper.

-The infotainment was difficult to use and I much prefered mine. It was not the Pro version.

-Exterior styling is not as good in my opinion.

-Sunroof only has a thin sliding cover, I liked the quietness and ease of use of the thick cover.

-Ergonomics are not as good. For example the volume, Eco off, and other buttons I use frequently are within easy reach in mine.

Pros:
-Felt quicker than mine (lighter?)

-Rode smoother than mine, but my rims were bent (why I had a loaner)

-Steering wheel is better. Softer leather and buttons are much easier to use.

-Instrument panel is better. Slightly crisper display and more readable digital speed. I have no clue why Jaguar thought I should have a permanent digital version of an analog clock taking up half of the display and then give me tiny digital speed reading.

-Although the center console felt very cheap, at least it didn't blind me like mine can.

Overall it was not a bad car at all, but it scores lower in my top categories: Comfort/luxury feeling and exterior/interior styling. The sticker price on the one I drove was about $10k less than mine new so it would be interesting to see one with an upgraded interior (like Sport Portfolio pack) when that comes out.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (09-17-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 06:19 PM
rjm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long term reader, first post...

Agree with most of what BlckCat said...

Had my '11 in for its yearly service and was given a brand new--22 miles showing--'16 XF 35t Premium. Window sticker not present in the car, but best I can ascertain from using the "Build Your Own", it had every option save AWD and ACC, sticker of $68,xxx.

Kept for long weekend and my takeaway was CHEAP & UNREFINED.

As BlckCat said the interior is a definite step backwards in material quality...

CONS:

--While the pamphlet for leather care was hanging on the passenger seat, it felt like MB Tex to me

--Fakest looking real wood I've seen in quite some time

--Many glaring examples of shoddy build quality throughout the interior
--for example, front doors didn't line up with dash

--HUD just sitting on top of dash, not even slightest attempt to integrate...reminded me of something GM or Ford would do

--Cheap plastics scattered throughout the cabin, lower half of the B-pillar especially brittle, inside of door pockets had obvious mold lines, actually scratched back of my hand retrieving loaner agreement

--Rear seat flat as Kansas with zero support, with bottom severely sloped toward rear of car making sure your knees were above your hips, but making egress quite difficult

--Engine was buzzy like a four cylinder with a very "industrial" sound. Nothing like the smooth 5.0L V8 in mine

--Stiffer ride

--Noisier ride, left wondering if JLR left out some soundproofing for weight savings

--Optional Meridian Sound System didn't sound as good as my Bowers & Wilkins

--Headlights. While these were the optional LEDs, didn't notice them to be any brighter or light up more of the road than the Xenons on my '11.

--Accent lighting. About the same as my "11 except for an annoying light in the rear seat area that was visible in the rear view mirror...totally annoying

PROS:

--Instrument panel, this was the optional customisable TFT display which was large and easily readable, but a con b/c it didn't offer half the customization options compared to my Escalade

--Room. Almost feels like a large car inside. Considering the wheelbase stretch, it probably has about the same usable interior space as the SWB XJ.

Very disappointed in this car, and I really wanted to like it. Aside from the increased interior room, it felt like a definite step backwards in every aspect compared to my '11.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I really hope the engine gets more power and the interior gets a "Premium" option. Otherwise, it's a going to be a very tough decision when the upgrade timeframe is upon me in 2020 (when my extended warranty expires).

I tried a number of others one day (S6, C63S, GS-F) and the only one I thought was a possibility was the GS-F. Not anywhere near as good as the XF-R, but the only one I got along with.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

One thing I noticed was the new XF no longer has the motorized air vents, that's a damn shame.

Last edited by Wolfy; 09-19-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:00 AM
rjm

Originally Posted by Wolfy
One thing I noticed was the new XF no longer has the motorized air vents, that's a damn shame.
The outside vents still rotate, but the center vents are fixed. Could've easily made them "raise up" like the F-Type.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:04 AM
rjm

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I really hope the engine gets more power and the interior gets a "Premium" option. Otherwise, it's a going to be a very tough decision when the upgrade timeframe is upon me in 2020 (when my extended warranty expires).

I tried a number of others one day (S6, C63S, GS-F) and the only one I thought was a possibility was the GS-F. Not anywhere near as good as the XF-R, but the only one I got along with.
Didn't really notice wanting more power from the engine, but it sounded very "industrial" and had some vibrations that reminded me of a 4-cylinder. A very stark contrast to the 5-litre V8 in mine.

The interior was the biggest disappointment. Personally feel this should've been the interior of the XE...

Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Didn't really notice wanting more power from the engine, but it sounded very "industrial" and had some vibrations that reminded me of a 4-cylinder. A very stark contrast to the 5-litre V8 in mine.

The interior was the biggest disappointment. Personally feel this should've been the interior of the XE...
It basically is the same interior as the XE! As far as power, it's acceptable for a standard, not performance version of the car. Mine makes 520 rwhp, so I'm not the typical buyer, but need more than 380 bhp.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-20-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:35 PM
rjm

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
It basically is the same interior as the XE! As far as power, it's acceptable for a standard, not performance version of the car. Mine makes 520 rwhp, so I'm not the typical buyer, but need more than 380 bhp.
I know! Was speaking from a materials perspective. The cheap, hollow sound of the doors, cheap plastic cupholder cover and lower B-pillars, etc.

Mine is a garage queen and is mostly driven in stop/go traffic so the standard V8 was more than adequate, especially on the open interstate where it just likes to settle in at 90 and cruise for days!!!!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Have test driven the XE and new XF. They both feel lighter and tighter than the old XF, handle very well and seem to have quite a bit more mechanical grip. I thought the XE, in particular, drove WAY better than the current 3 series. But the electric steering is a real let down, basically negating the aforementioned gains. However, that seems to be the case no matter which manufacturer you are talking about. Totally numb, lacking in any feel or helpful feedback; like driving a video game - no thanks! Did I mention that I really hate electric steering?

Agree with the comments above re: the interior. The current XF doesn't compare too favourably with equivalent German offerings when you start to look beyond the leather dash top, but the new XF is a step in the wrong direction from this dubious starting point. It just feels cheaper. I would also agree with the comments on styling: both the exterior and interior feel more generic and less 'special' than on the old XF, and as such they do less to distinguish the car from the competition. Almost feels like Ian Callum was on holiday when they signed off on the new version...

Last edited by sybarite; 09-24-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:17 AM
rjm

Originally Posted by sybarite
Have test driven the XE and new XF. They both feel lighter and tighter than the old XF, handle very well and seem to have quite a bit more mechanical grip. I thought the XE, in particular, drove WAY better than the current 3 series. But the electric steering is a real let down, basically negating the aforementioned gains. However, that seems to be the case no matter which manufacturer you are talking about. Totally numb, lacking in any feel or helpful feedback; like driving a video game - no thanks! Did I mention that I really hate electric steering?

Agree with the comments above re: the interior. The current XF doesn't compare too favourably with equivalent German offerings when you start to look beyond the leather dash top, but the new XF is a step in the wrong direction from this dubious starting point. It just feels cheaper. I would also agree with the comments on styling: both the exterior and interior feel more generic and less 'special' than on the old XF, and as such they do less to distinguish the car from the competition. Almost feels like Ian Callum was on holiday when they signed off on the new version...
Agree 100%

Its almost as if they spent all the money on the XE, then realized the XF was getting really long in the tooth, so someone said: "Why don't we make a LWB XE and call it the XF?!"