XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Buy or pass, XFR 2013 high mileage in Southamerica

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buy or pass, XFR 2013 high mileage in Southamerica

Hello fellas

My name is Felipe Kim, I'm from far away, Chile in Southamerica, I've been reading a lot about jags and specifically the XFR, which I'm almost ready to buy (red, 2013, 48k miles), I just sold an S4 B8 2012 (3.0 v6 supercharged) and I'm thinking about buying this XFR 2013, i know that it has a lot of issues and threads talking about this mentioning things like

1- timing chain tensors
2- gear selector
3- coolant pipes
4- waterpump
5- supercharger coupler
6- Differential actuator
7- Rear camera
​​​​​​8- incredible high cost at the dealership
9- lack of indi mechanics

My big concern is that I really liked this Red XFR 2013, the look and ride it's amazing, i mean, you can really feel the difference compared with my previous s4 B8, but taking everything into account, do you recommend me to buy it?, i would

1- ask to my indi audi mechanic to do all the mechanical repairments and maintenance with the XFR, he is very good and profesional (but has not experience about these cars), i think that with mechanical knowledge and the workshop manual it can be done

2- buy any part from ebay and another sites as I did with my audi s4 and other previous cars (corsa vxr, jeep srt8)

What do you think? Pass or buy the XFR 2013

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited by Felo; 03-18-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:40 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Hard pass. Speaking as someone driving one in a country it should have never been imported into(anywhere outside of EU basically), you don't want it. Your mechanic may not give you honest opinion because he sees the above average revenue coming in from these things. And if he is struggling to figure out some mystery problem by throwing parts at the car, it will be your problem, not his. Also for high mile cars, they really are meant to last only about 100k miles and then be turned in for scrap, but the manufacturer would never admit that. Expect to replace every stupid part that on other cars lasts forever. I have never even once had an oil change interval where the only thing being done was the oil change. Always some over priced parts waiting to be installed so it can stop clunking or misfiring. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forums Felipe Kim,

You have a realistic understanding of the potential problems with this model and have clearly thought through the challenges of spares and repairs. I don't consider 48K to be high miles as I've taken several Jaguars well over 100K miles in the past BUT, anyone buying an XFR gets it for the performance so the previous owner is likely to have driven it enthusiastically. Have the suspension and transmision thoroughly checked and also that the previous owner has had the vehicle serviced at the correct intervals. A well maintained Jaguar is reliable but a neglected example can be a money pit.

Even though you are prepared for the cost of spares, the Covid-19 pandemic has left many parts in short supply and becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. The question is therefore are you prepared to have the vehicle off the road for long periods waiting for parts to arrive?

Graham

Old 03-18-2021, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Hard pass. Speaking as someone driving one in a country it should have never been imported into(anywhere outside of EU basically), you don't want it. Your mechanic may not give you honest opinion because he sees the above average revenue coming in from these things. And if he is struggling to figure out some mystery problem by throwing parts at the car, it will be your problem, not his. Also for high mile cars, they really are meant to last only about 100k miles and then be turned in for scrap, but the manufacturer would never admit that. Expect to replace every stupid part that on other cars lasts forever. I have never even once had an oil change interval where the only thing being done was the oil change. Always some over priced parts waiting to be installed so it can stop clunking or misfiring. Good luck.
Thank you my friend, it's always good to hear an honest opinion, but it's difficult for me to accept the fact that this kind of cars are so problematic, i mean, it's a shame because how a car like this resulted to be manufactured in this way without taking care of the long reliability... Or maybe Jaguar didn't care about this, because for them people who have these cars have them for a short period lf time and then after a couple of miles trade them for new ones.. I don't know.. Thank you for your honest comment, this just reinforce what my rational parte says (don't get into bigger problems compare to the audi).

Probably the best decision is to pass, otherwise I would buy the jag and would be a perfect parked car (23.400 USD) ready to give me headaches more than smiles.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

You have a realistic understanding of the potential problems with this model and have clearly thought through the challenges of spares and repairs. I don't consider 48K to be high miles as I've taken several Jaguars well over 100K miles in the past BUT, anyone buying an XFR gets it for the performance so the previous owner is likely to have driven it enthusiastically. Have the suspension and transmision thoroughly checked and also that the previous owner has had the vehicle serviced at the correct intervals. A well maintained Jaguar is reliable but a neglected example can be a money pit.

Even though you are prepared for the cost of spares, the Covid-19 pandemic has left many parts in short supply and becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. The question is therefore are you prepared to have the vehicle off the road for long periods waiting for parts to arrive?

Graham

Yes, that's true, probably there will be more cases of spirited driving owners more than people just enjoying the view in a 5.0 supercharged, you are totally right, and when we put together that ingredient and mix it with a car that has so many problems (totally identified and validated by a huge community) the result statistically speaking will be equal to be prepared to spend money, maybe my problem is keep thinking that some repairs will cost 600 USD, 1000 USD or even 2000 USD... But considering all the threads talking about jag issues and repairs covered by the warranty (I think that I saw in some forum a chain tensioner repair with 12.000 USD cost, and some "minor" repairs for not les than 3.000 USD) my expectation has to be more aligned with this scenario, and that situation differs a lot of what I'm imaging (enjoying the jag ride, changing the oil without issues and maybe, just maybe looking to buy the drive selector on ebay)

Thank you matte I think that probably it's best to keep looking another car trying to thing more in the facts and reality more than in some nice dream driving this red xfr

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
​​​​​​UPDATE:

I've just spoke with the previous owner, he said to me

1- I own the car since it had 1 year after was imported to Chile
2- I maintained at jaguar dealership but after some yesrs I just get tired about being paying 1.000 or 2.000 USD by maintenance
3- the waterpump explode one day and ir was replaced at jaguar (even they didn't want to) by warranty
4- he had to pay 5.600 USD to repair the toming chain tensioners fault (most expensive repair he did)
5- he changed also all coolan pipes (he said me that while he was driving some of them started to explode)
6- he changed brake pads recently
7- he also replaced the rear parking sensors, importing the parts (200 USD)
8- he didn't have problems with the sc coupler or the shift selector
9- beside all, he was paying 350 USD for insurance, and he told me that was a great car but with almost no parts in Chile and with some expensive repairments (like the timing chain tensioners)

What do you think guys?

Old 03-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 261 Likes on 195 Posts

Assuming the previous owner's words regarding maintenance done are accurate, and only 48k miles on the car, you should be good for for another 30k miles or so without anything too major. In the long run it all depends on what you can do by way of routine maintenance yourself and how you plan to use the car. If I had come upon such a car I would have bought it.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I have a different POV than others here. Just based on my own experience. My 2010 XF SC has 70k miles, have had it about 8 years now. I still take it to the dealer. Even out of warranty. It's usually just oil and filters for annual service, in and out in half a day. Total ownership cost has been modest. Total fun factor is amazing!

It does need to be cared for, regular fluids, take care of issues and good maintenance. But it doesn't have to be a money pit

Helps a lot if you can do stuff yourself. And the forum is a great resource

So you need to be realistic that it's a high performance luxury car and parts and maintenance can be expensive. But that's true on other similar vehicles

Would definitely suggest thorough professional inspection first. Worth a few hundred dollars for piece of mind.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pass.

Owning a luxury car, especially with little to no support (Experts, mechanics, dealership networks, parts availability) is a rich-man's sport. Sorry, not trying to make any assumptions. The XFR is a great car in the sense that it looks the part, performs well, but it comes with a great deal of issues, some of which I am glad you familiarised yourself with. I would do more research in finding where you can take the car given it breaks down (as it most likely will as all cars do, so more often than others - Jaguar being the latter) without it costing youa fortune. If money is a concern, then find out if you can even get the parts in a timely manner as I don't imagine any place in Chile is stocking up on Jaguar parts.

Good luck and I hope w/e decision you make works out in your favour.

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2021, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,
My name is Alejandro. I also live in Chile, and I recently bought a red Jaguar XFR MY13 (manufactured 2012) which seems to be the one being discussed in this thread.
I was looking for a "super saloon" class car. I had an option of going for a 2006 BMW M5, but the internet is full of stories about its mechanical complexities, and started evaluating alternatives.

After watching the Top Gear review of the XFR, I decided to take my chances and went for the red one. So far, the only issue with the car is the classic issue with the rear camera. I replaced the boot loom with a new original part, but the issue remains, so It's possible that the issue is with one of the parking sensors. I bought an icarsoft diagnostics tool so I can check the specific code.

here is a picture of my car. maybe Felo can confirm if its the same one he was evaluating (which is highly likely cause it was the only one in this color and year)

The driving experience was quite nice, it is very quick and feels planted. We are currently in lockdown, but I look forward to take it for a spin.

I've seen that there is plenty of owners support in this forum, which is encouraging to deal with the known issues and maintenance procedures,

Well, nice to meet you guys and I hope I can keep this big cat happy!

Old 03-31-2021, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Congrats on the new car. What's the issue with the camera - blue screen on reversing?

Old 03-31-2021, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

the issue is, after starting the car, when I put reverse, the camera works for a few seconds, then a popup message with the typical error "Parking aid unavailable, please consult your dealer"
If I turn off the car, and start it again right away, when putting reverse, I immediately get the popup screen. If I wait for a few minutes, then I get some image feed and then the popup.

I'm thinking that it could be one of the rear sensors. I see that the rear left outer sensor is black, which suggests it was changed. Maybe the previous owner just changed one, and the issue happened for another one making him give up. I should be able to get his contact to ask.

I tried cleaning the rear sensors with wd40 to make the water go away, but I tried again having the same results, maybe I should have waited for a while, and also clean the front sensors.
My first shot at the issue was to order a brand new original boot loom, which I got in about a week from the UK. I changed it but the issue remained.

In any case, I ordered one of those icarsoft v2.0 jaguar scanners to check the ecu codes, I hope I can read the full error code. I have the pre facelift workshop manual, and I see the list of the error codes related to parking sensors. If I'm able to get the full error code, I should be able to pinpoint the fault before dissasembling the bumper. I'm a bit reluctant to do it myself though, as I don't have much room in my parking space, and there is a british cars garage close to home, an independent shop that deals with land rovers, jags and others, which should not have the absurd labor costs of Ditec, the official dealer for Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar here in Chile.

since we are in lockdown, and I'm working from home, that gives me time to work on diagnosing the issue in a relaxed way

cheers!

Last edited by MadScientist; 03-31-2021 at 08:14 PM.