XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant Leak--Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Coolant Leak--Am I crazy?

(2012 xf portfolio)
I have found some threads on coolant leaks on our XF's and read through them a bit, but I still have one main question, and it is probably a stupid one but I am asking it none the less:

Isn't coolant supposed to remain pretty much constant in the coolant reservoir? It is just supposed to remain between the fill lines correct?

I definitely had a coolant leak, it leaked all the way down to almost empty and the sensor alerted me. I took it to the dealership and then they didn't say much about it, told me they had just replaced the water pump under warranty and sent me on my way. I checked the coolant reservoir when I left and it was nearly full...

Now a couple weeks later, and about 100 miles of driving later, the coolant reservoir is only about 1/3 full ..maybe 1/2 full. Am I crazy or is there still a leak??

Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by showstopper9ren
(2012 xf portfolio)
I have found some threads on coolant leaks on our XF's and read through them a bit, but I still have one main question, and it is probably a stupid one but I am asking it none the less:

Isn't coolant supposed to remain pretty much constant in the coolant reservoir? It is just supposed to remain between the fill lines correct?

I definitely had a coolant leak, it leaked all the way down to almost empty and the sensor alerted me. I took it to the dealership and then they didn't say much about it, told me they had just replaced the water pump under warranty and sent me on my way. I checked the coolant reservoir when I left and it was nearly full...

Now a couple weeks later, and about 100 miles of driving later, the coolant reservoir is only about 1/3 full ..maybe 1/2 full. Am I crazy or is there still a leak??
It's possible that the coolant wasn't all settled in the system after the water pump replacement and there was an air pocket that has now worked it's way out and lowered your coolant level.

Top if off with some 50/50 mix of the orange stuff, or just some distilled water and then watch if it drops any further.

If it does, you have a leak, and it may be something they did to screw up the water pump replacement, or you have something else leaking:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-165783/

If your coolant level drops again, have it pressure tested for leaks. The pressure test is cheap, easy, and the only good way to find leaks, period, so don't go looking for the leaks any other way, especially by expecting someone on the forum to tell you where it's leaking.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
It's possible that the coolant wasn't all settled in the system after the water pump replacement and there was an air pocket that has now worked it's way out and lowered your coolant level.

Top if off with some 50/50 mix of the orange stuff, or just some distilled water and then watch if it drops any further.

If it does, you have a leak, and it may be something they did to screw up the water pump replacement, or you have something else leaking:

If your coolant level drops again, have it pressure tested for leaks. The pressure test is cheap, easy, and the only good way to find leaks, period, so don't go looking for the leaks any other way, especially by expecting someone on the forum to tell you where it's leaking.

This helps a lot thanks! I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Well that settles that. Re-filled the coolant...went on a spirited 10 minute drive and came back and half of it was gone. That wonderful coolant leaking sweet smell too ....definitely leaking coolant and definitely back to the dealer

Old 07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well that settles that. Re-filled the coolant...went on a spirited 10 minute drive and came back and half of it was gone. That wonderful coolant leaking sweet smell too ....definitely leaking coolant and definitely back to the dealer
They should have pressure tested the cooling system before they even gave it back to you. Lazy. It's a little effort to make sure you won't have a problem that they didn't do.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

You should be able to see the dried coolant where it is leaking. Since it's under warranty I'd make them fix it but you could grab a flash light and look around for the trail and try to narrow it down.

Maybe the plastic crossover pipe is leaking. This thread might be helpful: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-165783/

Old 07-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Default worry

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
You should be able to see the dried coolant where it is leaking. Since it's under warranty I'd make them fix it but you could grab a flash light and look around for the trail and try to narrow it down.

Maybe the plastic crossover pipe is leaking. This thread might be helpful: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-165783/

one worry i have is because of this leak... my xf has drained some serious coolant out of the coolant reservoir...which seems bad. I don't really see where all this coolant is going! ...i worry it could cause additional problems for this car down the road

Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

Only real damage leaking coolant can cause (other than over temp) is if the heater core is leaking inside cabin. That could kill the electronics under the seats. But a leak under the bonnet won't hurt things as everything under there can get wet or is very weather proof.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Just a final follow up (well hopefully final) to close out this thread. I took my XF back to the dealer with 49,800 on the odometer and about 3 weeks left on the warranty. A different tech this time looked at the vehicle and determined the leak was coming from the "Y pipe". They replaced that and then steam cleaned everything. To test her out, I drove in a spirited manor around town and put the pedal to the metal. Came back and examined coolant level afterwards..and it was the same! also no coolant leak sweet smell! Appears I am good to go for now (Side Note: they gave me a base XE as a loaner car so I got to drive that little champ around for 5 days, it was a likeable little car)

Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2010 XFR has a coolant leak too I need to replace the reservoir and hose.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Just a final follow up (well hopefully final) to close out this thread. I took my XF back to the dealer with 49,800 on the odometer and about 3 weeks left on the warranty. A different tech this time looked at the vehicle and determined the leak was coming from the "Y pipe". They replaced that and then steam cleaned everything. To test her out, I drove in a spirited manor around town and put the pedal to the metal. Came back and examined coolant level afterwards..and it was the same! also no coolant leak sweet smell! Appears I am good to go for now (Side Note: they gave me a base XE as a loaner car so I got to drive that little champ around for 5 days, it was a likeable little car)
Good to hear. Too bad the first tech didn't advise you to replace that plastic pipe when it's a known failure point at this time/mileage. And too bad they didn't bother to do a simple pressure test when they did the work, which is a best practice after doing any cooling system work.

Hard to find good help these days!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-09-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:29 PM

This thread unfortunately just wont die, because my coolant leak issues wont die either. Water pump and Y pipe have both been replaced, after they replaced the Y pipe it seemed as though the coolant leak was resolved, but...it wasn't. Dealership is going to have their 3rd crack at it on Tuesday

Old 09-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

This thread unfortunately just wont die, because my coolant leak issues wont die either. Water pump and Y pipe have both been replaced, after they replaced the Y pipe it seemed as though the coolant leak was resolved, but...it wasn't. Dealership is going to have their 3rd crack at it on Tuesday
You might want to avoid using the word "crack" in this context ;-) Hope it works out well and cheap...

Old 09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

God I cringe when I hear the term coolant leak. Brings back head gasket nightmares from my old discovery. Glad you were able to get this sorted out OP.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first problem I had was the coolant expansion tank. A nipple that the top hose connects to cracked. First thing on start up alerted me the coolant was low. So glad it never over heated! Got a $60 replacement online and my brother installed it. Second problem I ever had was the new expansion tank had cracked. I pulled over immediately at the low coolant warning. Put it in the shop for replacement. 3rd problem was 4 days later when the bottom hose came unattached. This time it was pouring. Had it towed back where they fixed it for free and fixed my blinking dome light as well. Now if I even think I smell antifreeze, I pop the hood like I'm paranoid.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcummins
The first problem I had was the coolant expansion tank. A nipple that the top hose connects to cracked. First thing on start up alerted me the coolant was low. So glad it never over heated! Got a $60 replacement online and my brother installed it. Second problem I ever had was the new expansion tank had cracked. I pulled over immediately at the low coolant warning. Put it in the shop for replacement. 3rd problem was 4 days later when the bottom hose came unattached. This time it was pouring. Had it towed back where they fixed it for free and fixed my blinking dome light as well. Now if I even think I smell antifreeze, I pop the hood like I'm paranoid.
I don't think that would qualify as paranoid. I'd use warned and aware as a better phrase. Far better to be careful than walking...

Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Why don't you go down to Autozone and borrow their coolant pressure tester and then head to the dealer with it, and show them how to properly find a coolant leak. The instructions that come with the kit are all you need to know to find any leaking hose, pipe, plastic, or head gasket. Geez...

Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Why don't you go down to Autozone and borrow their coolant pressure tester and then head to the dealer with it, and show them how to properly find a coolant leak. The instructions that come with the kit are all you need to know to find any leaking hose, pipe, plastic, or head gasket. Geez...

Hahahah this reply makes me laugh.

Seriously though maybe I should.

The first time I was at the dealership it seemed like he just threw a random part at the problem (water pump) didn't steam clean the engine and didn't pressure test it and just sent it out the door!

Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
You might want to avoid using the word "crack" in this context ;-) Hope it works out well and cheap...

Hahah good catch that definitely wasn't on purpose.

Yeah they've said even though my vehicle is now out of warranty, since the issues weren't resolved on the warranty work they will continue to do work on it free until this is resolved.

And I am getting a loaner car (probably an XE, which I don't mind, they are fun to drive)