XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Curious Warning Message - Transmission not in Park warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Curious Warning Message - Transmission not in Park warning

I've been getting a curious warning message over the past couple of days. When I open the drivers door an audible warning greets me, and I quickly catch a 'transmission not in park' warning, although the transmission is in park. Vehicle operates normally otherwise.

Just a random intermittent warning. Has anyone experienced this?

I have an 09 XF Premium Luxury, 58k km on the clock.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My message says "Gearbox not in park" but it sounds like I have the same issue...it has been happening since September. I find it happens more if I leave it sit a bit longer or it is cold outside. I also notice it NEVER happens if I open any other door than the driver door first to unlock the car. It's weird but cannot figure out why it occurs. I have searched it and have found nothing but did notice on the Jag UK forum there was talk about it due to a battery voltage change or being low or something to that effect. Doesn't seem to effect anything but it is somewhat annoying. Sometimes it's 1/2 a second and sometimes about 2 full seconds it beeps.

Sorry I have a 09 Premium Luxury as well with 46K km's.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM

yup same issue for sure.

Very strange but hope that it's just a glitch. If not, thank god I have a warranty for another 75k km.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

AaronW gives a convincing arguement for a battery related issue and we all know how sensitive Jaguars are to reduced voltage.

Let me suggest another possibility.

Earlier Jaguar models have a similar issue when the transmission control cables stretch or the control levers are loose. The selector can be in Park but the control lever on the side of the transmission is slightly out of position.

The XF also uses a control cable arrangement:

Curious Warning Message - Transmission not in Park warning-xf-transmission-control-cable.jpg

I'm not familiar with the XF and only offer this as a possible explanation.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
nasa25 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
AaronW gives a convincing arguement for a battery related issue and we all know how sensitive Jaguars are to reduced voltage.

Earlier Jaguar models have a similar issue when the transmission control cables stretch or the control levers are loose. The selector can be in Park but the control lever on the side of the transmission is slightly out of position.

Attachment 36350

Graham
Thanks Graham. If this is the issue, would the transmission be in park upon starting the vehicle? With my issue, the gear selector is in park and transmission is in park upon starting the vehicle, but somehow the message centre thinks that the vehicle is out of park.

Thanks so much for the possible explanation.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
........... With my issue, the gear selector is in park and transmission is in park upon starting the vehicle, but somehow the message centre thinks that the vehicle is out of park..........
If it's like the earlier models, it could be caused by the selector level on the the side of the transmission unit (item 5 in the illustration) being only fractionally out of position. Sufficient to trigger a warning but safely in Park.

Graham

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
If it's like the earlier models, it could be caused by the selector level on the the side of the transmission unit (item 5 in the illustration) being only fractionally out of position. Sufficient to trigger a warning but safely in Park.

Graham
Ah gotcha. thanks so much for the help.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Yea mine is in park too both when I shut it off and start it up. I have asked the dealer as I only have warranty till Sept of this year and they said they have no idea and the only way to correct it would be to try to replicate it in test. Since it happens only when it's cold or it has been sitting this would be a hard thing to replicate. AKA I haven't had anything done because it doesn't seem to be affecting it but I may end up taking it in this summer if it is still happening.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Attachment 36350

Graham
That's just the emergency release lever mechanism to take the transmission out of park manually for towing. Not part of the shifting process.

I assume the posters have the updated shifter circuit board installed? If not then beetle on down to your local dealer and get it done. They all fail eventually.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
That's just the emergency release lever mechanism to take the transmission out of park manually for towing. Not part of the shifting process.

I assume the posters have the updated shifter circuit board installed? If not then beetle on down to your local dealer and get it done. They all fail eventually.
Was that updated shifter circuit board a recall?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Was that updated shifter circuit board a recall?
Sort of. Every original owner got a service bulletin letter calling the car in. If you bought a used XF it is possible the service was not done. Until Jaguar is informed of an ownership change such letters go to the original owner's address, often then just discarded.

Any dealer will know if the service bulletin work was done on your car. Even if you're out of time Jaguar should still do it free of charge if you insist politely.

Last edited by jagular; 03-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Both my 09 XF, and 10 XFR had this same issue. It is hard to catch but soon as you open the door you hear a small beeping for 1 second and a quick error on the cluster saying "trans not in park".

I never got either fixed as it rarely happens and I have seen no side effects.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
Sort of. Every original owner got a service bulletin letter calling the car in. If you bought a used XF it is possible the service was not done. Until Jaguar is informed of an ownership change such letters go to the original owner's address, often then just discarded.

Any dealer will know if the service bulletin work was done on your car. Even if you're out of time Jaguar should still do it free of charge if you insist politely.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to take it in and have them perform all of the outstanding work.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

From this discussion it seems to be mostly on the '09 model and maybe a few '10 models.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM

I am going to add something to this post.

Today when getting in my car I did not get the "gearbox not in park" message (it happens maybe 33% or so.

I started the car as normal and instead was presented with "Gearbox Fault". Great another gearbox message. Again it doesn't seem to do anything and went away after about a second or two. The car operated properly however my wintermode (which is always engaged) was turned off and I had to re-engage it. No idea but this message is getting more concerning.

Anyone have anything on this message? Both messages are yellow and just flash then go out. How do I get the dealer to look into it (as it is still under warranty). Is there something that needs to get fixed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone found a fix for this

So I got my car back from the dealership today after leaving it for this problem. They said the shifter needed to be calibrated and it was $264. They did the service. After getting in my car tonight theres the message again. Very frustrating. Has anyone found a fix for this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:52 AM

I've been noticing that this still occurs on the odd occasion for me. It's quite infrequent though. Only thing I can think of is that maybe it's related to an aging battery? I swapped my battery late last year and have noticed a tangible difference in this issue.

Since it's not impacting the drivability of the car in any way, I've just accepted it as an infrequent glitch

Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I also have this issue from time to time on my '09 Premium. I thought initially it was because when I would park I would put the selector in "park" and then before removing my foot from the break I would engage the electronic e-brake so I assumed maybe I was getting the error because I didn't allow the car to come to its complete rest. Now when I park I put it in "P" release the brake and allow the car to "roll" into its "rest" position then apply the e-brake and I've noticed the warning pop up has decreased....coincidence? Maybe.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ended up taking the car back to the dealership to let them know it was still giving me the error message. 3 weeks later and a new transmission control module installed they said it was fixed. Today while getting in the car I get the message again. I will try replacing the battry and if that doesnt fix it I guess its something that I will have to deal with. No big deal since I dont have any other issues involved with it besides the frustration.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

So I'm resurrecting this thread again because I'm running into the issue too. Anybody ever get a resolution on this?