XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dealer frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer frustrations

Had my '13 XF 3.0 in for annual service this week. They were going to address the airbag recall while it was in the shop as well as take a look at some NAV flicker issues I've been having on and off.

Yesterday I picked the car up and they told me they downloaded numerous software updates that should resolve the screen flickering. When I drove it home, I noticed that all of my radio station presets had been reset (ugh) as well my phone was no longer paired with the car. I started saving my favorite stations and re-paired my phone and pulled into my garage.

This morning I go to run some errands and as soon as the car it started, all of the radio stations have reset once again and my phone is not connected. Also notice that the auto start-stop has not activated since I picked the car up, and all of my non-driver windows have 'forgotten' what one touch auto-up means. AND, as if those electrical issues weren't enough, the tech did a **** job putting my dash back together after replacing the passenger airbag. See photo below.

I know this is all minor stuff, but now I have to make another appointment to take the car back, grab a loaner for the day (at $20 per visit) and hope that they fix everything right the second time.

What ever happened to Quality Control?

Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Mechanics get paid more the faster they work. The faster they work, the more problems you get to deal with when they cut corners and just do crap work hoping you're one of the many that really don't care about your car.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MonacoDK
Had my '13 XF 3.0 in for annual service this week. They were going to address the airbag recall while it was in the shop as well as take a look at some NAV flicker issues I've been having on and off.

Yesterday I picked the car up and they told me they downloaded numerous software updates that should resolve the screen flickering. When I drove it home, I noticed that all of my radio station presets had been reset (ugh) as well my phone was no longer paired with the car. I started saving my favorite stations and re-paired my phone and pulled into my garage.

This morning I go to run some errands and as soon as the car it started, all of the radio stations have reset once again and my phone is not connected. Also notice that the auto start-stop has not activated since I picked the car up, and all of my non-driver windows have 'forgotten' what one touch auto-up means. AND, as if those electrical issues weren't enough, the tech did a **** job putting my dash back together after replacing the passenger airbag. See photo below.

I know this is all minor stuff, but now I have to make another appointment to take the car back, grab a loaner for the day (at $20 per visit) and hope that they fix everything right the second time.

What ever happened to Quality Control?

just had my airbags done and interesting the fit on that right front dash looks just like your photo. But I hate dealer experience so much I just don't wanna fuss with it

Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Airbag Recall

Interesting.

I own a 2015 XF 3.0 SC AWD with i8,000 miles on the clock.

Just yesterday I received a preliminary airbag recall letter. The letter states that they expect to have parts available on 3/282019? and that I would be receiving a follow up letter to schedule this recall repair when parts are available. The letter also stated that the estimated time for this repair is 2 hours.

Do any of you think that it is unusual to receive a preliminary letter telling me that parts will not be available until one year from now?

We had a similar situation with this recall on my wife's 2007 Infiniti M35X which has already had the recall repair done.

Thank you.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesdad
But I hate dealer experience so much I just don't wanna fuss with it
You fall into that category I mentioned above. They love your kind!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Being that I am a manager at a dealership you need to take it back and voice what happened. As long as you have a cool head and intelligently discuss with them what happened and what you expect, they will be happy to fix it. We are a Union shop and they get paid for the job. If the car comes back they do not not get paid to "fix" what they made a mistake on. Most shops today are like this in the dealer world. Believe it or not, no person in that dealership is "out to get you" or "pull one over on you" That is a mindset the consumer has created because it does cost more money to go to the dealership.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

+1

Just need to take it back before it goes by any longer.

As for quality control - some workshops are set up differently. The dealer I worked for in Houston, there was no dedicated Q/C person, it was left up to the Tech to make sure everything is reassembled correctly without trim misaligned, no rattles, etc.. Here at dealer in Auckland, NZ - we are a much smaller dealer, with only 3 Jag techs at the time when I started, including myself. Our team leader would QC every car.

As stated above, the faster a tech works, higher potential to get paid more. Doesn't always work that way. Best thing to do is bring it to their attention - a good manager will see this and make that tech fix it for free, hopefully they learn and don't do it to anyone else.

Being a workshop controller for PDI Center over Jaguar and Land Rover - quality control is probably the biggest part of my job, if anything, and I mean anything doesn't look right, it gets sorted.

You're buying a premium luxury vehicle - and you should get premium luxury service, period.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I replaced my dashboard, that panel was quite difficult to get back into place correctly and looked like the OPs on the first few attempts. I must admit that I didn't notice that it wasn't sitting right straight away so perhaps the guy who fitted this one didn't notice that there was a problem since time would be crucial or he may not have done one before. There are a lot of locating clips behind it and getting them all to line up properly at the same took me about 30 minutes.
I would take it back and ask for the job to be finished properly.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Everyone who does the airbag recall apparently this is a very common mistake the installers fail to address. I drove off and 15 minutes later noticed that issue. Thanks for pointing it out. I brought it back and luckily they were able to fix it after 30 minutes, still is not totally flush but is not as noticeable.

Watch out for this after they do the airbag replacement. <br/>

Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

This is just a matter of when the panel is pulled off, the clips come with it. The reason why its sticking out is because they didn't pull the clip off the airbag cover and place it back into the slot on the black trim the cover fastens to.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
This is just a matter of when the panel is pulled off, the clips come with it. The reason why its sticking out is because they didn't pull the clip off the airbag cover and place it back into the slot on the black trim the cover fastens to.

Makes sense.........

Here's my $0.02 worth.....

I had my XF in for a leaking transmission fluid cooler line, and while in the dealer's shop, they also addressed the airbag recall. My dashboard

looks just fine, but I did notice this wording on the work order. And I quote:

"While performing the Takata air bag recall, the dash plug had to be removed to gain access to the screws. The retaining clip fractured, Installed new trim bezel". Along with this note, there's a p/n C2Z3303LEG PLUG listed on the parts list.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM

All, Just as a follow up, I noticed that my center air vents don't blow air anymore. I pulled up SDD and did a query on faults and it shows up tha the Air distribution damper motor has a fault, on the same mileage date when I brought the car in. I am contacting my service manager on this. Can I even trust Jaguar dealer mechanics to do something right?!!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MonacoDK
Did I read that correctly that they charged you $20/visit to use their courtesy vehicle?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by harryf
All, Just as a follow up, I noticed that my center air vents don't blow air anymore. I pulled up SDD and did a query on faults and it shows up tha the Air distribution damper motor has a fault, on the same mileage date when I brought the car in. I am contacting my service manager on this. Can I even trust Jaguar dealer mechanics to do something right?!!
Well, I brought the car in a couple of days ago. They said they would take a look at the issue. It turned out that there was some blockage on the damper lever. Not sure what was in the way or if they broke something on their initial airbag replacement.
Well, I got the car back, left the dealership and then noticed that the upper part of the metal faceplate was now sticking out, then looked down at the wood trim and that was hanging loose. Unbelievable! There were also grease fingerprints on the glove compartment. I turned around and drove back. The service manager was befuddled, why it would come back to me like that as the first time around they had the bottom of the panel separated. I like the service manager as a person, but the workmanship and quality control is definitely lacking. The amazing thing is that my private mechanic, used to work there. He takes pride in his work, unlike what I expected at the dealership.
I have to remember if I ever go back to get work done (recall warranty) that I need to check the workmanship immediately.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hendogg8
Did I read that correctly that they charged you $20/visit to use their courtesy vehicle?
Yes, it is in lieu of having to top up the fuel and also covers insurance I believe