XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dilemma: XKR or XJL Supersport?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dilemma: XKR or XJL Supersport?

Hi Gentlemen,

My name is Emmanuel and I am new to this forum. I found this forum very very informative I literally spent nights reading threads before I finally developed the strong enough itch to register and post a question.

So, my question is, I am eyeing on a Jag again, for long keep this time, and I have shortlisted to one XKR and one XJL. In terms of price, let's just say both are great bargain on their own but there is about 7000GBP/9000USD difference. I can easily afford the XKR but will have to stretch a bit to get the XJL.

I came out from an MY08 XKR so I am bit spoiled now. But I have a family and a baby girl now, that’s why I needed to part with my XKR. But I want my next car fun to drive too.

Can you guys guide me to a right purchase?
I believe regular service cost would be similar, given they have the same engine? But when problems come, is XJ gonna cost more to fix?

The XKR
MY09
62000miles
probably full service record

The XJL Supercharged
MY12
43000miles
470bhp version

Any input would be much appreciated!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM

I think I have a typo I actually mean XJL Supercharged not Supersport. Wrong title.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Welcome!

I think that you should be thinking in terms of AND rather than OR. Whichever you buy now you will be hankering after the other until you had both.

-- In my experience!

(It may be that you will get a better response in a forum other than the XF one, though - there are places for XK, XJ and general questions elsewhere)

Last edited by christ; 06-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Selling an XKR cause it's to small and wanting to buy an XKR? Think there's more than one typo here.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by L80ous
Selling an XKR cause it's to small and wanting to buy an XKR? Think there's more than one typo here.

You are right! I must have been daydreaming!

Its

XFR
and
XJL

Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam

You are right! I must have been daydreaming!

Its

XFR
and
XJL

i would seriously consider looking into a model year 2013.. that 2012 is soooo close, but not quite to the bosch management system and 8 speed transmission.. that's my current personal focus - the 2013 or newer with the 8 speed. in the various posted magazine tests it sure sounds like the xj series was faster than the xf series in acceleration testing. i think that's due to the xj being lighter.. bigger car, but more aluminum. and likely the longer wheelbase helps launch? hard to be disappointed with any of them though.. if affording payments on one vs. another is the deciding factor, make sure you're considering maintenance / repair / service costs into your budget. Everyone's experience will be different, but it's not unheard of to average a couple hundred monthly towards upkeep of such vehicles, right? my car depreciated $50k during its 1st 2 ownerships, but it still has the upkeep costs of a $70k car.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 PM

and the xj will have lots more standard equipment - massage seats and pretty cool display / cluster.. just gotta make sure you love that blacked out C pillar..

Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam J
i would seriously consider looking into a model year 2013.. that 2012 is soooo close, but not quite to the bosch management system and 8 speed transmission.. that's my current personal focus - the 2013 or newer with the 8 speed. in the various posted magazine tests it sure sounds like the xj series was faster than the xf series in acceleration testing. i think that's due to the xj being lighter.. bigger car, but more aluminum. and likely the longer wheelbase helps launch? hard to be disappointed with any of them though.. if affording payments on one vs. another is the deciding factor, make sure you're considering maintenance / repair / service costs into your budget. Everyone's experience will be different, but it's not unheard of to average a couple hundred monthly towards upkeep of such vehicles, right? my car depreciated $50k during its 1st 2 ownerships, but it still has the upkeep costs of a $70k car.
Thanks Adam for your input.

just the bosch management system, how much does it better than the old one?

I think the cost of maintance and parts would be my concern more, rather than the price of the car. I know XJ has air suspension at the back, XF doesn’t. So what other parts would be significantly more expensive to replace should they fail in the XJ?

Regarding the speed, it’s interesting to hear that the XJ is faster than the XF. Do you still have those weblinks in hand?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:00 PM

Check caranddriver website for various reviews. They've historically been "optimistic" re: recorded/published acceleration times, but if you compare one of their tests to another should be somewhat consistent parameters. I think they had some XJ at low 4 second range, even high 3 second range for "hotter" models

Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

They are two entirely different cars. To me, the XF is mid way between the F-Type and the XJ. The F-Type being almost a 100% sports car and the XJ a Jaguar flagship luxury sedan. So, in a sense you get a nice sized sporty and luxurious sedan with the XF. The XJ is much more a luxury car, hence the air suspension and loads of standard features.

Test drive both and go with your heart. Life is too short to do otherwise!

Last edited by XJL; 06-11-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by XJL
They are two entirely different cars. To me, the XF is mid way between the F-Type and the XJ. The F-Type being almost a 100% sports car and the XJ a Jaguar flagship luxury sedan. So, in a sense you get a nice sized sporty and luxurious sedan with the XF. The XJ is much more a luxury car, hence the air suspension and loads of standard features.

Test drive both and go with your heart. Life is too short to do otherwise!
Thanks XJL!
I have finally decided and bought an XJL. I am in love with her.
I actually have another thread at X351 forum.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1914364

Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam
Thanks XJL!
I have finally decided and bought an XJL. I am in love with her.
I actually have another thread at X351 forum.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1914364
your car looks fantastic - and probably a bit faster than your roads allow!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Adam J
your car looks fantastic - and probably a bit faster than your roads allow!
I think all our cars are faster than our roads allow
Unless you are from Germany.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That is a beautiful car. I was trying to make a decision last year.. but decided to go with the XF instead of the XJL because of the size, feel of the handling, and the lack of parking in Washington DC. I think I saw a remark about how you rarely see the XJL's or XJ's in the US, but here in DC there are probably a much higher ratio of XJ's to XF's, though most of the XJ's are the 3.0 versions. Every once in a while I do regret my decision as I do love all of the amenities and room in the XJL's. As far as power... The 5.0 NA is plenty for me, but would have loved to have had the chance to get the XFR, but none were available at the time.