XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

EBC Red Stuff brake pads for XF

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

There's a message here. The higher performance pad are optimized for higher operating temperatures. Unless you need brakes that perform well when extremely hot stick with the factory pads or equivalent aftermarket pads. Each recommended pad has an optimum operating temperature range. For street use that is "cold" to ensure full braking power from the first stop of the day.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
There's a message here. The higher performance pad are optimized for higher operating temperatures. Unless you need brakes that perform well when extremely hot stick with the factory pads or equivalent aftermarket pads. Each recommended pad has an optimum operating temperature range. For street use that is "cold" to ensure full braking power from the first stop of the day.
If this is the message you get from reading the posts above, then I think we need some clarification:
RedStuff pads work extremely well for every stop you make, including your first stop of the day. Your brakes are not "cold" when you make your first stop of the day, because the first rotation of the wheel when you ease into the brake puts heat into the brakes.
Brutal's example is a very unique one, in that he was not turning the wheels fast enough to build heat, nor was he applying brakes for even a complete revolution of the wheel at a time; he was rock-crawling and looking for a brake in his 3-5mph descent. that does not mimic any situation you will ever encounter in daily driving.
What you should get from the posts above is that the RedStuff pads outperform OEM's in every situation you will ever find yourself in with your Jaguar.....

Last edited by McJaguar; 11-04-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I took it as the post on the yellow stuff should have been used for track day instead of the red.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

I intended to underline the fact that if red stuff works as well as ( or better if you insist) the stock pad then it will not be suitable for track work. Pads designed for track work ( or "high performance driving") will not work well for street use.

I have seen no objective information establishing that red stuff or any other stuff performs better than factory brake pads.

Tires brake the car. Brakes slow the tires. Unless you are overheating the brakes the factory pads are fine. The all season tires on my XF could not possibly stop the car any better with "better" brake pads.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have red staff on my jag. I do not like them, I would prefer the manufactured ones if they did not put so much dust on my wheels. Btw , akebono on the back is perfect and no dust at all: red staff on the front 50% less dust from OEM but do not like how they perform

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
I intended to underline the fact that if red stuff works as well as ( or better if you insist) the stock pad then it will not be suitable for track work. Pads designed for track work ( or "high performance driving") will not work well for street use.

I have seen no objective information establishing that red stuff or any other stuff performs better than factory brake pads.

Tires brake the car. Brakes slow the tires. Unless you are overheating the brakes the factory pads are fine. The all season tires on my XF could not possibly stop the car any better with "better" brake pads.
Well, I'll admit that when I read your comments, I went to google to prove my point... 'cuz I'm kinda obsessive that way
Anyway: while there seems to be a LOT of tests referenced, I cannot seem to find them in their raw-data, or First-Hand accounts. People are referencing MIRA (a UK Testing Lab) tests that show between 20% - 30% improved braking distances in "heavier SportsCars". But invariably, these are referenced on a site selling the pads, so I can't trust it as more than marketing.

So I'll say this: in general terms, I agree with your premise, that pads which work well at one heat range work less optimally at another.
But in specifics: I have never been unhappy with the immediate improvement over-stock after I've installed RedStuff pads, and I've put them through some harsh track-days as well, and been quite satisfied.

Your statement that "factory pads are fine" is true. But I like better than "Fine" when it comes to brakes.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Theres a red light on hwy6 on my way to work that if you drive 60 instead of 50 from the previous light youll make the green provided you dont get alittle held up with other cars in front of you. But if it turns yellow you have to stop cause it got a camera on in before i switched to red stuff i experianced brake fade and barely stopping before the intersection. After i switched to redstuff, no brake fade and so much shorter distance that i either stopped short of the intersection or let up on the brake force before i got there.
On the subject of brake pulsations. If you let you car sit for anylength of time in a humid climate and the rotors rust up, youll notice that where the pads sat there's no rust. Now as you brake the rust will be cleaned away. Which is oxidized metal, now the area where the pads sat is now slightly thicker than the rest of the previously rusted area, and voila' brake pulsations when braking. I see it all the time in humid texas.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the squeaking go away after a while?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I just installed the EBC Redstuffs on both my front and rear brakes. Will monitor to see if the brake dust is lower than those stock pads. There is some squeaking noise but hopefully this away go away after the baking in period.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just ordered Redstuff for my XF. I met the EBC guys at SEMA and they were very cool. I washed the car twice and put on a few coats of wax yesterday. Basically spent 6 hours detailing the car. When I got to work today the wheels look like crap covered in dust.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=sealtan;626586]Hi
... There is some squeaking noise but hopefully this away go away after the baking in period.[/QUOTE

That should be breaking in period. Baking the brakes should be avoided. Of course, with red stuff you could use a higher oven temperature if you wish.

Brake dust is inevitable. Only the colour changes. The brake pads must wear or the discs must wear. On modern braking systems both pad and disc are designed to wear. The result is dust on the wheels.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Diamondrmp
Does the squeaking go away after a while?

OK, just an update. Yes, after about a few 100 miles the squeaking has gone. But just to set expectations there is still dust on the wheels but it is not as bad as the stock pads which are black and hard to get off.
Whilst not completely free from dust they are an improvement.

I will try another pad next time. Anyone who claims to have zero dust?

Someone said the brake covers will stop them spraying out the dust? Any truth in this? But I really don't like the look of them.....

Last edited by XFFan; 11-27-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Dust is an inevitable byproduct of iron disc technology. Ceramic brake systems ( NOT ceramic pads, which are different) don't wear and don't make dust. However, they also don't work well for road cars.

Any kind of brake shrouding will impair brake performance. Don't do that.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I replaced mine with Porterfield carbon/kevlar brake pads and I've been extremely happy with them. No dust (like day and night compared to original Jaguar pads), no noise and no difference in braking performance. If you don't see pads listed for your particular XF on the Porterfield web site, you should give them a call because they may be available nonetheless.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jagular. Have used the wrong word. Should be "breaking-in". While the squeaking noise is not intrusive, brake dust seem to be an issue. Not true that it has less brake dust. I am experiencing some frustration of having dust which are clearly visible as before (with my OEM pads).

[QUOTE=jagular;627875]
Originally Posted by sealtan
Hi
... There is some squeaking noise but hopefully this away go away after the baking in period.[/QUOTE

That should be breaking in period. Baking the brakes should be avoided. Of course, with red stuff you could use a higher oven temperature if you wish.

Brake dust is inevitable. Only the colour changes. The brake pads must wear or the discs must wear. On modern braking systems both pad and disc are designed to wear. The result is dust on the wheels.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Just fitted my EBD Red Stuff pads today. Have not observed any "Bedding In"procedure in the Workshop manual. What is the bedding in procedure and where can I find it?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, I found it on EBC web site. Did part of it and ran out of road/time. Still, all sounds quiet enough.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea to mix pad brands front and rear. Stick with one system for balanced response.
Originally Posted by miamijag
I have those pads for 9 months already at the front. My opinion : less dust to 60%; stoping did not improve; I do not like how they stop. I have Acebono on the rear: they are great : no dust ; great stoping performance , I wish they were making pads for the front