XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Exhaust questions

Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

Quick question does anyone have detailed information on removing the valves on the stock mufflers for an 09 Xf supercharged? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Are you sure the 09 had the valves? Mine is a 10 and I'm a bit ignorant as to whether the earlier version was so equipped.

If it does have the valves, just take it to a muffler shop. Have them cut the round bump on the end out, remove the valve components and then we'll the bump back on.

Craneboy was the originator of that on the forum as far as I know. I copied him including the x-pipe. Do a search for posts by him and you'll find the diagram to give the shop.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 11-08-2017 at 12:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Miller (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Kyanite, how is the highway drone with your setup? It is X pipe, midmufflers and resonators removed, and valve delete?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

The only time I can say it's even close to a drone is when I'm going slowly up a steep hill. Otherwise, I believe it sounds like it should have from the factory. Just loud enough to hear it, but never intrusive...unless I'm really getting on it and then it's louder, but still mellow. For reference, I felt the stock note was pathetic and almost non-existent. More of a whoosh than anything else.

The x-pipe really killed the decel pops and crackles. I love that it did. Others seem to go out of their way to accentuate those sounds. To each their own. But I don't want my XFR to sound like the half-dozen Chargers I'll see in a day. Wanted something more refined. It now sounds more like a Maserati than anything American.

If you want your car to retain the gentleman's express character, I would copy my setup. If you want it louder and more raucous, change the mufflers. Another member had his exhaust done at the shop I had my work done at, and I have dibs if he's ever going to sell the car. It's not much louder than mine when driving normally, but really wakes up when on it. I think they used Magnaflows, but it's been a while since he put it on. He had an Arden he imported from Germany and it was entirely too loud. No way to use the Bluetooth and still have a conversation.

Jim Miller (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

I have the 2013 5.0SC with the complete center section replaced with straight pipes, X-pipe (right before the dual pipes separate to go outward to the rear boxes), and the valves deleted from the stock V8 rear cans.

There is ZERO drone. None, nada, zip, period.

The x-pipe gives the tone a very European, high reving tone.

Jim Miller (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sold thanks guys.

Now the trouble is finding somewhere to take it here in Raleigh NC. The guy that I have used before closed up shop unfortunately.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jim Miller
Now the trouble is finding somewhere to take it here in Raleigh NC.
Just find someone who does custom exhausts for hot rods and can do good welds.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Just find someone who does custom exhausts for hot rods and can do good welds.
+1.
My exhaust bloke does exactly this, including hand made headers and extractors for drag cars and show cars, and several times I have watched him while he has fabricated custom stainless steel exhaust systems for me.
He's a real artist with the welding gear.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions

Does anyone know if my 09 xf sc has stock muffler valves or not? Right now I have resonator delete going to stock boxes, too much drone. I am looking for a more muscular European sound inside and out? What will happen if I do and x pipe and rear box delete? Or should I do x pipe and magnaflows? As you have read I'm very confused in which direction to go? Thanks so much sorry so long.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
Does anyone know if my 09 xf sc has stock muffler valves or not? Right now I have resonator delete going to stock boxes, too much drone. I am looking for a more muscular European sound inside and out? What will happen if I do and x pipe and rear box delete? Or should I do x pipe and magnaflows? As you have read I'm very confused in which direction to go? Thanks so much sorry so long.
If you don't have the valves, just put the x-pipe on first. See if you like the tone and if it's too quiet, change out the mufflers. You may spend a little more doing it in two sessions, but you won't waste any money if you don't like the sound with the new mufflers and want to go back.