XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Finally managed to track down the right oil

 
  #1  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Finally managed to track down the right oil

So the original factory warranty on my 2012 XF is finally up and I'm thinking of doing future servicing myself. One of the biggest problems seems to be the availability of 5W-20 engine oil meeting the WSS-M2C925A spec. I'd searched around for the Castrol Edge OE but found nothing aside from a few suppliers on EBay. Biting the bullet, I called the Jaguar dealer service department and asked for the price for the Castrol oil and was surprised when they told me they use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now in the cars. A quick check of the PUP spec sheet didn't make any mention of WSS-M2C925A but a call to the Pennzoil technical department did result in a verbal confirmation that the 5W-20 oil does indeed meet WSS-M2C925A I then requested written confirmation and they sent me a PDF of the letter from Jaguar UK confirming this. I've attached a copy should anyone be interested. I hope this helps out those looking to service their cars themselves in the future.
 
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
wss.m2c.925a.pdf (321.7 KB, 528 views)
The following users liked this post:
XJL (01-30-2017)
  #2  
Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 23,325
Received 3,440 Likes on 3,046 Posts
Default

Spec appears to be -B now. Just google M2C925 for oils and there's quite a list.
 
  #3  
Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 AM
jagwower's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 110
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil

Looks like Mobil 1 is now too!
 
  #4  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Thanks for posting the letter. I also have a '12 XF 5.0 and recently did my first at home oil change. It was very simple and intuitive. I did remove the large "cover" that covers up the bottom of the engine and drained the oil via the drain plug. It would definitely be much quicker to just "suck it out" of the top via one of those pump things, which is how the dealer does it. I removed just slightly over seven quarts and put back in a like amount of Penzoil Platinum. There is no dipstick so I performed the service reminder reset procedure, ran an errand which involved driving 10 miles, and then checked the level using the car's built in oil level sensor to confirm the level was within spec. Here's a few pics for reference:

Name:  20161202_081553_zpsa27mbnvl.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  20161202_125012_zpsvo822q2p.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  20161202_114654_zps4lu8jngj.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  188.2 KB

Name:  20161202_115737_zpsf2vvk8aa.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  156.2 KB
 

Last edited by calviroman; 01-13-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add pics
  #5  
Old 01-14-2017, 01:28 AM
lotusespritse's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,134
Received 169 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TXFireblade View Post
So the original factory warranty on my 2012 XF is finally up and I'm thinking of doing future servicing myself. One of the biggest problems seems to be the availability of 5W-20 engine oil meeting the WSS-M2C925A spec. I'd searched around for the Castrol Edge OE but found nothing aside from a few suppliers on EBay. Biting the bullet, I called the Jaguar dealer service department and asked for the price for the Castrol oil and was surprised when they told me they use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now in the cars. A quick check of the PUP spec sheet didn't make any mention of WSS-M2C925A but a call to the Pennzoil technical department did result in a verbal confirmation that the 5W-20 oil does indeed meet WSS-M2C925A I then requested written confirmation and they sent me a PDF of the letter from Jaguar UK confirming this. I've attached a copy should anyone be interested. I hope this helps out those looking to service their cars themselves in the future.

their website shows this spec, no need for a letter:

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - Our Best Full Synthetic Oil | United States
 
  #6  
Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Your eyesight must be better than mine, I can't see mentioned anywhere on that spec sheet. Can you point out where it says that?
 
  #7  
Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,089
Received 1,155 Likes on 963 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TXFireblade View Post
Your eyesight must be better than mine, I can't see mentioned anywhere on that spec sheet. Can you point out where it says that?
Click on the SAE 5W-20 link under Available Grades.
 
  #8  
Old 01-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

I must be going word blind - I see a WSS-M2C930A and a WSS-M2C945A but not WSS-M2C925A. I'll book and appointment with an optician first thing Monday morning.
 
  #9  
Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,089
Received 1,155 Likes on 963 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TXFireblade View Post
I must be going word blind - I see a WSS-M2C930A and a WSS-M2C945A but not WSS-M2C925A. I'll book and appointment with an optician first thing Monday morning.
I researched this a while ago and found that WSS-M2C945A superseded WSS- M2C925A a few years ago, and somewhere on this forum I have a post with a link to the page/doc/pdf which explains this.
 
  #10  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

So it meets WSS-M2C925A because it meets WSS-M2C945A which supersedes WSS-M2C925A. I've come across that argument a number of times while researching this but never found any actual proof to support that so it will be interesting to see what you managed to find.
 
  #11  
Old 01-14-2017, 10:52 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,089
Received 1,155 Likes on 963 Posts
  #12  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 23,325
Received 3,440 Likes on 3,046 Posts
Default

That is at beast confusing and at worst wrong. Ignore it?
 
  #13  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 108
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

How much of a pain was it to remove the bottom engine cover?
 
  #14  
Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,089
Received 1,155 Likes on 963 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nsl1 View Post
How much of a pain was it to remove the bottom engine cover?
Not that hard, just a bit time consuming, around 20 bolts/screws to remove.
It's also a bit fiddly lining it up dead right when putting it back on.
Much easier up on a hoist but I've done it several times now just using trolley jacks and axle stands.
 
  #15  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 108
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Thanks - I've been changing my oil post warranty from the top via the suction tube and a manual pump. It's probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Just wondered if it was worth trying it the old fashioned way to make sure all the old oil is drained out. I prob just stick to the suction method.
 
  #16  
Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 108
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Thanks - I've been changing my oil post warranty from the top via the suction tube and a manual pump. It's probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Just wondered if it was worth trying it the old fashioned way to make sure all the old oil is drained out. I prob just stick to the suction method.
 
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: