XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

front bumper cover/belly pan (valance) questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 10:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front bumper cover/belly pan (valance) questions

Folks, hoping for some guiding light here. On my 2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2, I recently self inflicted (dumb mistake in my own garage) significant damage to the front bumper cover, the lower left and right black plastic grilles and chrome inserts, and the under engine "valance" ( I call it a belly pan). Basically I hit a heavy metal object and destroyed the bumper cover. The chrome center grille was not even scratched and remains in place. The belly pan fell off and the side grilles and accents fell off (actually one of them is still more or less attached to the bumper cover. I have already ordered a replacement bumper cover. I think the valance belly pan is saveable and the side grilles may be also. But I'm having trouble understanding how to reassemble this stuff. The valance belly pan is seemingly held in place by just two bolts at the rear/center, but that seems like a lot of weight to just hang from two bolts at the rear? The valance still has the center black mesh grille attached to it. Do the left and right black grilles with chrome inserts attach to the valance belly pan first and then the bumper cover bolted onto the front of the pan.....or do the left and right grilles attach to the bumper cover first and then that assembly onto the pan and other attachment points on the car? I've watched videos on the bumper cover removal process, but not clear on the valance and the side grilles.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:42 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

There's at least 6 10mm bolts holding center cover then 2 screws connecting front panel to rear then on the front panel under the bumper there's about 15 torx bolts and on the fender cover 4 more 8mm bolts

Old 01-21-2022, 02:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanXF
There's at least 6 10mm bolts holding center cover then 2 screws connecting front panel to rear then on the front panel under the bumper there's about 15 torx bolts and on the fender cover 4 more 8mm bolts
Yes, thank you. I know about the number of fasteners. I'm asking about the under engine pan (they call it valance). Am I correct that there are only two rear bolts that hold that plastic pan on? and what about the plastic grilles in each corner? Do they attach to the pan first or directly to the bumper cover?