XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Front Parking Sensors Not Coming on Automatically

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Parking Sensors Not Coming on Automatically

Hi everyone,

This winter we had a few days where the temperature was around -40 degrees, and around this time, my parking sensors started acting up, specially my front ones. They don't come on automatically now when I'm going towards an object. If I go upto the object, change the dial shifter to the park mode and change it back to drive, it's then that they start detecting an object in front. This never happened before, I could just drive upto whatever was in front and they would sound the alarm. After reading some posts on this forum, I found a round about way to avoid this issue - by hitting the overhead parking button. But its kinda annoying that I have to do that everytime. Also, when they come on, they only do so when I'm about 1-1.5 feet away from the object. This is usually the 3rd bar in the parking sensor distance arcs, so it's not even detecting an object at the first two bars. I got it checked at a dealer and they told me that one of the parking sensors was loose, so they replaced it. But that didn't fix the issue either. Since no error codes showed up on my system, they were like we can't do anything about this, you would have to put it in park mode and go back to the drive mode to make this work. They didn't even tell me about the overhead parking button so it leads me to believe they don't know about it either. So wanted to check with you guys out here incase you had any ideas about this.

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

That sounds like the correct operation to me. What model / year do you have? On the X250 the front sensors do not come on automatically to stop the irritating beeps in start stop driving. Instead when you activate reverse it puts them on and then they work in R and D until you go above 5-10mph. So your switch round to P and back to D works as it goes through R which activated them
As you have discovered when going fwd if you want them just press the P button on overhead console and they will come on.

I'm surprised if you had them coming on automatically when going fwd as that is not how they were designed at least on the X250

Thanks Jules

Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
That sounds like the correct operation to me. What model / year do you have? On the X250 the front sensors do not come on automatically to stop the irritating beeps in start stop driving. Instead when you activate reverse it puts them on and then they work in R and D until you go above 5-10mph. So your switch round to P and back to D works as it goes through R which activated them
As you have discovered when going fwd if you want them just press the P button on overhead console and they will come on.

I'm surprised if you had them coming on automatically when going fwd as that is not how they were designed at least on the X250

Thanks Jules
Thank you for your reply Jules! This is what is confusing me, because the sensors on my car always came on automatically when I was going close to an object. But it doesn't seem like that's supposed to happen. And I'm not sure who to contact at Jaguar about this to get this sorted. Sorry I didn't include the model in my post before, it's a 2013 XF supercharged.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

As Jules tried to tell you, there is nothing to "sort." It is working exactly as designed. The on/off button to turn on the sensors (both front and rear) is overhead. The sensors (both front and rear) are also automatically turned on any time the car is put in Reverse (not Park). The system is designed on purpose to NOT be on all the time and to automatically turn on only when Reverse is selected. You are probably mistaken in thinking that yours was on all the time, but if not you had a malfunction, possibly in the gearshift selection knob position sensor.