XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel flap fix?

Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel flap fix?

I know this has been done to death, but I can't find any thread that definitively describes a fix for this.

On mine, most times when I press the flap, the actuator does not operate. When it does - I hear the little zzz - the flap opens.

It's not gunge in the latch, it's not that the car's locked.

What seems to happen is when you press the flap a microswitch operates (you can hear it) which actuated the motor that makes the cam rotate and unlocks the door. This only stays open for a moment, then rotates back to the lock position.

Sometimes, even though the microswitch operates, the actuator doesn't. This is probably because the microswitch is a bit faulty.

I'd like to fix this one and for all. I think replacing the microswitch would help, and installing a button in the boot (trunk) that makes the actuator run, as a manual option.

I'm quite capable of doing this and will post pics and details - but first, can someone tell me how to get access to the inside of the filler bowl so I can see the mechanism and wiring?

Is it in the trunk or the wheel arch?

Thanks

Andy
Kilkenny.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

Inner fender liner.

Simple to remove. A few screws and clips.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, here is how I fixed mine. The "stationary" post that the clasp attaches to was a little lose when I inspected it. I could move it back towards the trunk or forward towards the hood just a little bit. I could see that if it wasn't in the most forward position then it wouldn't unlatch properly. If it isn't latched properly, then it wouldn't "acuate" properly. Once manually adjusted/aligned it hasn't let me down.

I've not had the car too long so it's only been a few months. Unfortunately, its time to sell it already. BTW, it's a 2009 supercharged.

I wish you well.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

Ok, do some XFs have an electronic fuel flap with a button on the dash, like my '08 S-Type 4.2 had? My '15 XF AWD has a manually operated flap.

When did they make that change and did it cover all models?
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 01-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't know if it's just a crazy coincidence or what, but I also had some issues with my fuel flap occasionally refusing to open and I discovered that if I open and close the drivers door (RHD) the flap then works 99% of the time! Are they connected electrically? Do they share some signal or input that dictates that the flap wont open if you've left the car for a while or is it just the vibration caused by closing the drivers door that's doing the trick?

I intend to look into this further and will update.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:11 PM

Both my 2010 and my 2013 cap flap lock followed the door locks.

If the doors were locked, the cap flap was locked. Unlock the doors and then you can push the cap flap and release and it will pop open.

As long as everything is working well.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Both my 2010 and my 2013 cap flap lock followed the door locks.

If the doors were locked, the cap flap was locked. Unlock the doors and then you can push the cap flap and release and it will pop open.

As long as everything is working well.
Yes, I get that. My X300 was the same, as would be most cars with electrically locking fuel flaps. But in my case, when the door was unlocked and after a few minutes, or longer, I tried to open the fuel flap, it wouldn't always work. But if I opened the (unlocked) drivers door and closed it again, then the flap would more often than not, work without an issue.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM

I also think that if you unlock the doors and do not open one, after about 2 min they relock.

So opening and closing the doors right before you attempt to open the flap might work due to that timer.

But just an guess on that one.

The following users liked this post:
sogood (01-30-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:47 PM

After giving the car a good wash today I was in the mood for pottering and so, I took a closer look at the fuel flap. I could hear buzzers buzzing and things moving but the flap refused to open. After some perseverance I got it opened (after doing my drivers door open/close routine) and addressed the little plastic catch on the inside of the flap itself.

I got the impression that while the locking pin was rotating, it wasn't clearing the plastic catch sufficiently enough to release it. So I took a small flat file and rubbed down a very small amount of the plastic from the inside end of the catch. This is the short section of the catch at the very end where the two longer sides are joined. It only took a little bit of rubbing and hey presto, it now works every time! If you don't have a small file, a piece of sandpaper folded over flat will do just as well.
I also sprayed some WD40 into the micro switch area while I was at it.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same hassle initially with my 2010 XF. I then tried firm pressure on the flap about 2 inches from the edge. Works every time now