XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Hub rings and wheel tightening

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts
Default Hub rings and wheel tightening

About to remount the summer wheels as soon as the weather in NE USA finally improves... Two questions which I've heard conflicting views on:

1) Hub-rings. My Rohana wheels came with plastic hub rings - they have held up fine the past couple of years. But they aren't very snug and wondering if that might create minor vibration at speed. Easy to replace - but plastic or metal? I've heard plastic may not be as tight/robust fit- but allows a little flex as the wheel bolts are tightened so it's all centered. Also heard that aluminium could corrode/bind with wheel or hub and doesn't offer that flex - but is more solid and less likely to allow vibration. What's recommended on performance cars like ours where they are v sensitive to wheel vibration?

2) Similar question on wheel tightening to ensure it's fully centered. Roughly tighten with wheel in the air, then drop the jack and fully tighten on the ground with torque wrench (which is what I always learned and have done). Or fully tighten in the air to allow the wheel to center before the full weight of car is on it? Or doesn't it matter!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

when i had my BMW i used hubcentric rings and had better luck with the plastic ones. easier to replace and yes the aluminum ones did try to corrode and almost weld themselves in place. I say if you havent had any issues then stick with what you got

Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

About lug tightening, I hand thread each lug until fully seated with a long socket that completely fits into my hand so I can get it full twist strength.

I then use my Snap-on 1/2” air impact on its lowest setting (approx 50ftlb). Then I lower car until the tire just starts to deflect under the weight. Then I use “Big Bertha” Snap-on torque wrench set to 95ftlb (about 125NM). Twice.

Then I take the car around the block and then re-torque all lugs at the 95ftlb again.

The re-torque after a short drive is VERY important, especially when you have hub rings or if you have installed new rotors. Sometimes the first torque after brake/tire service the rotor or rim may have some crap under it or was not fully seated against the hub flange.