XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

I added a new Rotary Shifter to my XFR

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Give it a try I'm sure it doesn't turn back when it selects P for you (if you shut the car off in D). At least it doesn't in my car. I mean it isn't a big deal but if we got a nice Jag head centered on there it would be annoying if it was off centered. Something to keep in mind.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I see, the rotary motion is beneath the selector knob to raise and lower the knob so you can grip it. The knob itself doesn't rotate as it rises and falls. That makes sense from an actuation perspective. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to straighten this out the next time you switched on? Or might it keep rotating around each time you forgot to select P?

Hmm, guess the logo idea may not be a good one.

I am attracted by the grip feature on the re-styled knob. The rubber grip around the knob seems more practical, especially in cold weather if one does not use gloves (as I do not having the nifty heated steering wheel).

Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Give it a try I'm sure it doesn't turn back when it selects P for you (if you shut the car off in D). At least it doesn't in my car. I mean it isn't a big deal but if we got a nice Jag head centered on there it would be annoying if it was off centered. Something to keep in mind.
It does turn back. The shifter rises from P without turning but if you shut off the car with the selector anywhere but in P the rotary knob turns back to the same position it would if you turned it manually.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Even if the knob doesn't rotate back, Its real simple to just pop the cover off and re position it. After all, you shouldn't be shutting the car off in drive or reverse, I'm sure that can't be good for the tranny if done to often. But, anyway, the cover is suppost to come off simply and faster then the OEM cover, which isn't hard at all to take off. I took mine off today in a minute.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

After shutting the car off in drive, I too, watched the shifter turn back.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
It does turn back. The shifter rises from P without turning but if you shut off the car with the selector anywhere but in P the rotary knob turns back to the same position it would if you turned it manually.
Your right, sorry about that. I gave it a try the other day. Well that solves that sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
Even if the knob doesn't rotate back, Its real simple to just pop the cover off and re position it. After all, you shouldn't be shutting the car off in drive or reverse, I'm sure that can't be good for the tranny if done to often. But, anyway, the cover is suppost to come off simply and faster then the OEM cover, which isn't hard at all to take off. I took mine off today in a minute.
The car is designed to be turned off in any gear, as long as it is stationary. I do this all the time.

I like the growler idea. Someone please post when that comes out.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I called the dealer today and asked the tech about shuting the car off while in drive. He said that "Its like doing that to any other car, the difference is that the computer kicks in and puts it into park as a fail safe mode". The safety feature is the same as having to put your foot on the brake before starting the car.
He also said that the sudden drop of fluid pressure on your tranny over time may cause problems later. This isn't recommended.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
I called the dealer today and asked the tech about shuting the car off while in drive. He said that "Its like doing that to any other car, the difference is that the computer kicks in and puts it into park as a fail safe mode". The safety feature is the same as having to put your foot on the brake before starting the car.
He also said that the sudden drop of fluid pressure on your tranny over time may cause problems later. This isn't recommended.
Here's what it says in the manual:

"P should be selected before switching off the engine. However, it is possible to switch the engine off with R, D or S selected - the selector will automatically select P, while retracting into the center console."

There doesn't seem to be any warning against switching off while in drive. There would be little point in switching off a car while in drive in a regular ignition key, because it just creates more steps. 1. Switch off ignition; 2. move transmission to P; 3. move hand to ignition key and twist ignition key once more to full off position; 4. remove key.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
After shutting the car off in drive, I too, watched the shifter turn back.
With the growler option, how would you set up the growler? Straight when in P or straight when in D? In either case, it's going to look crooked when in the alternate position.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
^ I used a razor blade to get under and lift up the origanl topper which is just chrome painted plastic sticker. It was tight but I was careful so I can reuse it again.
Another technique that might work, which I've used for emblem removal, is dental floss. Wet a piece of dental floss that's long enough to hold in two hands. Get it under the edge of the item you want to remove. Then saw the dental floss back and forth all the way through the item. This will get the item off without leaving any scratches on the surface around it.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Straight in park is what I'd prefer. It will be in that position most of the time.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Long Islander
With the growler option, how would you set up the growler? Straight when in P or straight when in D? In either case, it's going to look crooked when in the alternate position.

Straight while in P.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder If knob has not been fitted properly. What happens next?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Visit to dealer.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Check out my Growler Rotary Shifter, ED Gallery

Originally Posted by BigCat09
A member here spotted a new Rotarty Shifter for our cars in the 2012 accessories catalog and I felt it to be a must have. It was a super fast swap and adds a great feel and look. My local dealer robbed me blind for it $159 but I hear Mina Gallery has the same one to offer us and you can get an optional Mina logo or R logo for a topper. I also think it may be a tad cheaper from Mina and it is indeed the same part # and all, just with that Mina special touch to it. Here is a few pix I took so you can see how simple it was and how nice it looks.

This isn't a one upper. You really motivated the old fire chief to upgrade the Rotary Shifter with a Growler and viola here it is on the SC. I really looks great against the Piano Black Interior. Cost $0.

So cool. It really looks factory. It's so simple it was silly. What do you think?

Last edited by edobernig; 08-20-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good. Decal or wheel insert?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Better yet free key fob.

Its a metal key fob. Chrome plated brass with a enamel inlaid Growler. I ordered a wire mesh grill from Mina Gallery for my '04 XJ VDP (post pic.s on XJ 350 page) and there was this key fob added to the order today. I carefully filed off the ring applied some mounting tape and voila it looks seriously factory.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice accessory but I think I'd do this mod only if I had the black buttons of the '12 to match the rubberized grip.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe Mina will come out with a charcoal version.

Quick Reply: I added a new Rotary Shifter to my XFR