XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Intake pipe for SC 4.2

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Intake pipe for SC 4.2

I was searching through some random posts on the forum and I found this post for an intake pipe someone is making for the XJR.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailable-83959/

Two of those could be modified into one piece to create a nice intake pipe for the 2009 XF Supercharged 4.2. It looks like he's asking around $160 US for the one pipe so two pipes might not be worth the cost. Supercharger noise is increased with the removal of the resonance chamber.

I might pick up two 90 degree 3" aluminum pipes and see if I can put something together for the dual intake setup on the SC XF. It should be a fun little project. More intake noise would be nice.

Attached Thumbnails Intake pipe for SC 4.2-imag0152.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I was searching through some random posts on the forum and I found this post for an intake pipe someone is making for the XJR.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailable-83959/

Two of those could be modified into one piece to create a nice intake pipe for the 2009 XF Supercharged 4.2. It looks like he's asking around $160 US for the one pipe so two pipes might not be worth the cost. Supercharger noise is increased with the removal of the resonance chamber.

I might pick up two 90 degree 3" aluminum pipes and see if I can put something together for the dual intake setup on the SC XF. It should be a fun little project. More intake noise would be nice.
There is a post some were, and shows exactly what your talking about. There is even a video of an XFR testing it. It sounded great but they were having a problem getting the the ECU to take advantage of the extra air. It was a proto type, but I don't think they ever finished, or they decided it had know benifit other than the sound. Maybe BigCat can chime in. I believe it was his car.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

I think I remember hearing something about BigCat's intake setup. As long as it wasn't too spendy the intake sound might be worth the upgrade. Seems odd that an increase in flow couldn't bring a bit more hp. A supercharger pulley swap is just pulling in more air and we know that increases hp.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Found it!!! I would really like to know if this project was finished.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=84173&page=2

Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

He noted MAF pegging issues. I wonder if that was after his supercharger pulley swap. The intake pipe alone wouldn't peg the MAF.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

I found this thread which shows you how to remove the air intake silencer and keep the stock tube by plastic welding the opening.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-w-pics-58619/

If I had a extra stock intake pipe I'd give it a try on the SC 4.2L dual intake pipe. I'll start looking for one.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Sorry fr not following up. The shop that was making the intake for the 5.0L SC motors like my XFR is no longer around as Super Storm Sandy has wiped them out.

But, they are attempting at opening another shop soon as possible when they get the insurance and FEMA money straighten out.

Far as the intake I can tell you guys this much about it. Imagine the stock Y pipe that comes from the TB to he stock air boxes. Now picture it being replaced with a heat coated aluminum version with 3 humped silicone couplers and clamps to attach it to the TB and the stock air boxes. These humped couplers will allow some flex like the stock plastic y pipe did with the accordion portion it had. Thee new hard pipes now give the beast of a motor a smooth unrestricted even flow of incoming air into the TB. And since there is no ridges and other non linear ripples and edges the air flow is greatly improved as well as being cooler due to the heat coating on the hard pipes.

Now the optional mod to the air boxes if you wanted to take it a step further, but not needed is to trim the inside upper of your air boxes just like we all did with all of our Mb AMG cars. They made ROW air boxes for all non NA AMG models that gave more air flow to the mix. See this link for the DIY and the boxes : DIY: ROW Air Box mod - MBWorld.org Forums

http://mbworld.org/forums/attachment...d-p1040833.jpg

As you can see just this simple trim gives good proven power : http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...3ROWAirbox.jpg

I came up with all of the parts and how to for this shop to produce them so we both could offer a finished product to everyone, even a XKR variant and then 4.2 guys.

Now for the good and bad where we left off before the storm took everyone out. The good is here is no check engine light, no rough chop idle after the ECU learned the new found flow after a few days of driving. A great increase in supercharger whine when at WOT and no whine at idle or light cruise to keep that classy V8 grumble and not sound like ford mustang, etc with that annoying whistle. There is a nice suction sound upon upon a blip of the throttle.

Now for the what w call the bad side of it. We took lots of IAT measurements, dyno runs, and MAF reading,etc to see what changes we found and if it made good power. What w found was a great initial boost in power but the ECU always seem to put it back in check to hit it target range like a governor. How do we know for sure? Well when we did our exhaust tests to see if we made power with different exhausts we seen the same pattern. Same as when I did the pulley swap. The ECU just wanted to keep it in check and bleed off any extra boost it seen. We proved this again by flashing the ECU and then we seen all that power come to life and take advantage of the mods.

So the End result is the same as adding an exhaust, a pulley, air filters, etc. Without a tune the gain will be minimal and may not be worth it for everyone. So we wanted to work with a tuner who could unlock this restriction just like it did with the pulley and such. We did not that the A/F, Timing, ETC never changed a bit and still stayed within the original ECU programming range that Jaguar intended it to be so it was a totally safe , simple, direct bolt on in 20 min performance part we all can add for looks, and power without the fear of harming the motor. We believe that the restriction was a combination of the ECU and the TCU just like the HP restriction was made form the normal 470hp SC and the 510hp XFR.

We started to do a MPG test with it and seen a solid 3MPG increase over a 1100 mile test. We didn't get to do more of that testing unfortunately but feel the data was pretty accurate.

If we can not pursue this further soon and make it a finished product for sale we were going to sell it to a vendor like Mina Gallery, etc for them to mass produce it and sell it to the public.

We figured the finished product would sell for $299. and the expected power gain on a stock car was 8WHP and with a ETG tune 11-13WHP. This is a good gain for the money and a simple 20 min DIY install.

Please repost this in any relevant thread or post to help others seek more information In the future.

P.S. For all testing a pair of Dried K&N filters were used. We feel that a pair of BMC filters would be the best filter to ever run if they ever made a SKU for our cars.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

And the stock twin snorkel/Nostril intake design from the grill to the air boxes is pretty damn good!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

sorry to hear about the shop, it would be great if someone indeed cold improve the air filter system.

Have you (or anyone else) measured the intake vacuum at full throttle? The amount will show how much improvement can be made, so a key value, also to know later if improvements have been made. The 4.2 doesn't have restrictors build into the ECU, at least the one build in will not be reached by simple mods.