XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Locking wheel nut removal without the key.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking wheel nut removal without the key.

Any suggestions?

I changed a wheel yesterday due to a puncture, and I think I must have driven off with the locking nut socket still on the wheel. Needless to say, it's not still on the wheel and it's not in the carpark I used.
I don't know the letter code, and Jaguar dealer wants one hour labour (£160) plus parts to get them off and replace them.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Any wheel specialty shop can usually just air chisel them off.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimRick
.... I don't know the letter code, and Jaguar dealer wants one hour labour (£160) plus parts to get them off and replace them.
Any Jaguar Dealer should simply lookup the locking wheelnut code for your vehicle using the online Direct Dealer Warranty System and then order a replacement from Jaguar.

We're both in the UK. My local dealer (Stratstone) at Houghton-le-Spring accepts parts orders as late as 2:00pm for delivery the following day from Jaguar. I don't see any reason for a dealer in Wiltshire not to be able to offer a similar service.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-17-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

That is presuming of course they are Jaguar locking wheel nuts. If they are aftermarket you could be mullered.
HOWEVER, if you have the type that have the rotating outer collar like these:

There is no removal tool that will get them off because the collar just spins freely.
I've just done this with my S Type due to no nut key. Previous owner swears it was in the boot!
Grab a Dremmel with a little cut off wheel attached.
Put on a good leather glove, it's gonna get hot.
You can quite easily cut through each part of the collar by turning it bit by bit until it is all through, hence the reasion for the glove, and it won't damage the wheel.
Carefully cut through the collar piece by piece, at least 6mm down the collar, all the way round so you end up cutting a 6mm collar off it.
Then you will be able to get either a socket on, or a removal tool.
I used a 12 point 18mm socket, hammered onto the nut and then air gunned off.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks,

I was astonished by the price quoted by Jaguar in Swindon, fortunately I found a chap near Reading who guarantees removal so I had a quick trip over there this morning. 15 minutes later, all four were removed with no damage to the wheels.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi.. did u get it sorted? How much did that cost u?

Old 08-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by slimrick
any suggestions?

I changed a wheel yesterday due to a puncture, and i think i must have driven off with the locking nut socket still on the wheel. Needless to say, it's not still on the wheel and it's not in the carpark i used.
I don't know the letter code, and jaguar dealer wants one hour labour (£160) plus parts to get them off and replace them.
we the dealer have a master set and can take any jaguar land rover lock off. Or knock a slightly smaller socket over it with a hammer and take it off with a ratchet like the thieves do and throw that crap away. Put the 4 lug nuts back on that should still be in the box the locks came in, usually in the trunk. If youre one that just "feels better" with locks i have a new jaguar set for $25

Old 08-23-2019, 08:04 PM

I dont think the dealers here is that kind..

Old 08-25-2019, 04:32 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Yes, as Burtal says, any tire shop will pound a locking lug removal tool on the lug and spin it off.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Default mikefarnham

Thanks to Mike Farnham, he's got a full set and for a minimal fee compared to fees of the dealership he got them off for me and put on some normal jaguar nuts on. @mikefarnham cheers

Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevep10
that is presuming of course they are jaguar locking wheel nuts. If they are aftermarket you could be mullered.
However, if you have the type that have the rotating outer collar like these:

there is no removal tool that will get them off because the collar just spins freely.
I've just done this with my s type due to no nut key. Previous owner swears it was in the boot!
Grab a dremmel with a little cut off wheel attached.
Put on a good leather glove, it's gonna get hot.
You can quite easily cut through each part of the collar by turning it bit by bit until it is all through, hence the reasion for the glove, and it won't damage the wheel.
Carefully cut through the collar piece by piece, at least 6mm down the collar, all the way round so you end up cutting a 6mm collar off it.
Then you will be able to get either a socket on, or a removal tool.
I used a 12 point 18mm socket, hammered onto the nut and then air gunned off.
i can get those off too, just pound a smaller impact socket over it. It crushes the outer collar and bites in underneath. I have those on my nissan and forgot where my key was once....

Old 08-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
i can get those off too, just pound a smaller impact socket over it. It crushes the outer collar and bites in underneath. I have those on my nissan and forgot where my key was once....
Fair enough buddy.. some people states that it only turns the outer cover. But u r right, today once i saw the nuts in my hand, i understood how it works and realised that it could work. Or maybe even those sockets advertised on fb.. the one that fits any shape..

Old 08-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by reead boodhoo
fair enough buddy.. Some people states that it only turns the outer cover. But u r right, today once i saw the nuts in my hand, i understood how it works and realised that it could work. Or maybe even those sockets advertised on fb.. The one that fits any shape..
yeah i bought those for my custom offroad beadlock wheel and couldnt find the key when i cut a tire in moab out rock crawling and had to change out offroad. One of the other wheels had a slightly smaller impact socket so was worth a try. Pounded it over it crushing that rotating sleeve onto the piece underneath and viola. Came loose with a 1/2" ratchet. Oh well. I dont think that one pictured would do it though. Those a primarily for round heads and i have broken several of those. They always work great in the ads

Old 01-05-2024, 02:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If anyone is having problems with the following lockers:1. The two slotted design 1990s and early 2000s

2. The domed top four slotted type 2000 on

3. The 2020 on approx virtually circular design with a wavy circumference

Please get in touch as I have proven, successful solutions for most scenarios.

Hope this helps.

Mike.