XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Hey guys recently ran into the trouble of an oil spot under m 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged. Concerned me decided to see if I could located the leak but couldn't see much from the under the hood. I then proceed to put my car on ramps a lift one side and see if could find anything. As far I was able to tell the leak was coming from the passenger side of the engine but couldn't tell from exactly where. I took it to a local shop and had it inspected but the guy told me there was a leak but he had no luck finding where it was originating from. As anyone encounter a problem like this or similar so I can try to fix the problem. The dealership currently has a 1 month waiting list for appointment so I'm trying to solve this before I spend hundreds for something that might be very simple.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

You first need to work out if it is engine oil or transmission fluid or maybe even power steering fluid. I assume it is not coolant as you would know the difference between coolant and oil. The first thing to do is to put some butcher's paper or similar under the car where you park it and inspect (look, feel, smell, even taste!) any drips which show up. Then, once you have (hopefully!) identified what type of fluid is leaking, you're best bet is to remove the plastic under tray and thoroughly clean the underside of the engine and gearbox, drive it for 50 miles or so (with the under tray off) then have another look underneath for signs of fresh leakage.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-01-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car did a similar thing last summer: I got home after a long drive and found a small puddle under the front right of the car the next morning (oil was ~1L down). Topped it up and have kept a close eye on the oil level since - nothing spotted so far (level's remained fine).

Old 03-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Yes, my 2010 developed some seepage, wound up re sealing the lower oil pan as part of my 100k mj XFR service.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definitely a oil leak. It was ok for a little while but today when I checked the oil level I was at 1/4 of max. Haven't had time recently to go under and see what the issue might be. Any ideas what I can do to it. It only has 50000 miles on it so it's a bit concerning to see a oil leak.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Not much posted on here on oil leaks over the years. They seem to be v reliable on that. (Lots on coolant leaks!)
So I don't think there is a 'typical' place to look here. Unfortunately you're going to need to go back to diagnostics. Remove drip tray, find the leak and trace it up
Sounds like it's losing a fair bit so should be easier to find...

Old 03-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Agreed - the only way you'll resolve this is by getting underneath. Prime suspects are:
  • Oil pan drain plug seal
  • Seepage from lower/upper oil pans (unlikely)
  • Engine block plug - on some early blocks the 1/2" engine plug on the L/H side of the block behind the exhaust manifold wasn't sealed properly and would leak - it drips down onto the starter or LH catalytic converter, and can look like a leak from the rear crank seal. There was a Land Rover (but curiously, not Jaguar) TSB about it which I can dig up if required.
Hopefully once you remove tray and get underneath it should be fairly obvious where it's leaking from.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just hit 50k and had an oil leak. Dealer said the oil filter cover housing was leaking and reseated it. (Maybe there's a gasket on this?). He blamed my Indy. Showed be some tool scratches on the housing said they aren't using the right tool.... oil leak gone.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by EricinNH
I just hit 50k and had an oil leak. Dealer said the oil filter cover housing was leaking and reseated it. (Maybe there's a gasket on this?). He blamed my Indy. Showed be some tool scratches on the housing said they aren't using the right tool.... oil leak gone.
No gasket as such but there is an O-ring near the bottom of the filter canister which is meant to be replaced every time you renew the filter, and every new filter I have ever bought (about 8 of 'em now!) came with a new O-ring. Quite possible the indie forgot to change that O-ring and/or pinched it a bit when screwing the canister back on, hence the leak.