XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Question on instrument cluster change

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question on instrument cluster change

I have a 2009 XF that is having key fob issues. I have no codes for the key vehicle module. I've tested the fobs, changed the batteries. I'm being told from a mechanic on just answer.com that there is a sensor inside the instrument cluster for the keys. Is there any truth to this and also if I buy a used instrument cluster? Can it be programmed with a scanner? Or does it have to be something at the dealer?

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The cluster, along with other things, has to be coded to your key. It’s to do with the car’s security.
what exactly is your problem?

Old 10-19-2021, 05:20 AM

My key fobs are Not working all the time. Keep saying keen not found and I have to start the car with the key in the keyport. They're both transmitting a frequency, I've tried been in the tabs and changing the batteries.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Buy new FOB's. You can fight with the old ones but I have had much better results just buying brand new ones off EBay for under $20 each.
I would do that before changing the IP. You DON'T want to get into that with the anti-theft stuff as it gets real complicated quick as posted above.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Buy new FOB's. You can fight with the old ones but I have had much better results just buying brand new ones off EBay for under $20 each.
I would do that before changing the IP. You DON'T want to get into that with the anti-theft stuff as it gets real complicated quick as posted above.
Do you think that it still could be the key fobs even though they're putting out a frequency? I bought a key fob tester off of Amazon, it's lighting up when I hit the button.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Yes. I have had FOB's that appear to be working fine but I still had problems with them. I finally came to the conclusion that FOB's are a wear item and after years of use they just need to be replaced. You could have a KVM problem too but that is much less common and should have set a code.
Can you scan the car to see if there are any other problems?

I forgot to ask but do you have SDD to add the additional keys/FOB's or will you need top pay someone to do it?

Old 10-19-2021, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes. I have had FOB's that appear to be working fine but I still had problems with them. I finally came to the conclusion that FOB's are a wear item and after years of use they just need to be replaced. You could have a KVM problem too but that is much less common and should have set a code.
Can you scan the car to see if there are any other problems?

I forgot to ask but do you have SDD to add the additional keys/FOB's or will you need top pay someone to do it?
I scanned the car. Didn't see anything in the key vehicle module. I did have a transponder key code, ignition authoritism code. B1009-64. U3000-87 as well

Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 AM

It’s the transponder chip that’s the important bit here.
It’s this that the car recognises which lets your start the car.
it has no relevance to the fob batteries as it’s not powered until the car ‘sees’ it. Then a voltage is induced which sends a signal to the car. If the car recognises this signal, then it will start
are you saying that all the buttons work and this is the signal you see?

Old 10-19-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bigv
It’s the transponder chip that’s the important bit here.
It’s this that the car recognises which lets your start the car.
it has no relevance to the fob batteries as it’s not powered until the car ‘sees’ it. Then a voltage is induced which sends a signal to the car. If the car recognises this signal, then it will start
are you saying that all the buttons work and this is the signal you see?
The key fob tester that I bought from Amazon has four lights with four different frequencies. I turn it on and then hit the buttons on the key fob and the lights on the key fob tester light up for the correct frequency.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:43 AM

So you're saying that it's possible that the key can emit a frequency and then the vehicle not see it because of the key fob?

Old 10-19-2021, 02:18 PM

No, there are two different things going on in the fob.
The buttons that, when pressed, sends a signal to open the doors, bonnet, etc. This is the part which uses the fob battery.
Then there is the transponder, with zero electrical contact with the fob battery, which is waiting - totally inert - for a signal from the car which it recognises - wakes up - because it has a voltage induced in it. Then the transponder sends it’s own signal which the car recognises, which in turn, allows you to start the car
The keyless entry system works in the same way

Old 10-19-2021, 02:22 PM

No, there are two different things going on in the fob.
The buttons that, when pressed, sends a signal to open the doors, bonnet, etc. This is the part which uses the fob battery.
Then there is the transponder, with zero electrical contact with the fob battery, which is waiting - totally inert - for a signal from the car which it recognises - wakes up - because it has a voltage induced in it. Then the transponder sends it’s own signal which the car recognises, which in turn, allows you to start the car
The keyless entry system works in the same way
So it's very possible that even though it's a mini frequency that the transponder could be bad. The fact that I can start it with 100% accuracy inside of the keyport? When it's inside of there does the transponder communicate with the vehicle or no?
​​

Old 10-19-2021, 02:54 PM

I think you said earlier that the same thing happens with your spare fob?
If so, it’s extremely unlikely that both transponders in both fobs have gone bad
Did the car used to start ok with the fob in your pocket

Old 10-19-2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by garysaunders85
So it's very possible that even though it's a mini frequency that the transponder could be bad. The fact that I can start it with 100% accuracy inside of the keyport? When it's inside of there does the transponder communicate with the vehicle or no?
​​
with the car engine running, what does it say, if anything, when you remove the fob from the keyport?

Old 10-19-2021, 03:01 PM

I think you said earlier that the same thing happens with your spare fob?
If so, it’s extremely unlikely that both transponders in both fobs have gone bad
Did the car used to start ok with the fob in your pocket
Yeah both are doing it. Although I didn't notice the harder I pushed the buttons, the more likely it is to work.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:05 PM

Yeah both are doing it. Although I didn't notice the harder I pushed the buttons, the more likely it is to work.
What do you mean the harder you pushed the buttons?
the buttons on the fob are irrelevant to the starting of the car

Old 10-19-2021, 03:08 PM

When I'm trying to unlock the vehicle. If I press down harder on the lock and unlock buttons. It seems to have more accuracy. But when they're inside of the vehicle, the message that I see is the smart key not being found into basically insert it into the keyport

Old 10-19-2021, 03:26 PM

When I'm trying to unlock the vehicle. If I press down harder on the lock and unlock buttons. It seems to have more accuracy. But when they're inside of the vehicle, the message that I see is the smart key not being found into basically insert it into the keyport
I’ve got the keyless entry version of this motor.
Seems to me that you’ve got more of an issue with the buttons on the fob going bad
If you put the fob in the keyport and it starts every time, then there seems to be no issue with that
There’s going to be a coil of some sort round the keyport which picks up the transponder in the fob.
The buttons on the fob can go bad by getting gummed up with goo
These can sometimes be fixed with a liberal dose of electrical cleaner - remove fob battery first - and then working the button till the cleaner dries

Old 10-19-2021, 08:18 PM

I’ve got the keyless entry version of this motor.
Seems to me that you’ve got more of an issue with the buttons on the fob going bad
If you put the fob in the keyport and it starts every time, then there seems to be no issue with that
There’s going to be a coil of some sort round the keyport which picks up the transponder in the fob.
The buttons on the fob can go bad by getting gummed up with goo
These can sometimes be fixed with a liberal dose of electrical cleaner - remove fob battery first - and then working the button till the cleaner dries
I think I'm going to try a new key fob, I believe you're correct. The vehicle would have to recognize the key inside of the keyport somehow. It's just weird that it doesn't recognize it until it's inside of the keyport even if it's sitting on the front seat. I get a message about the key not being found. Where would the sensor be inside of the vehicle other than the keyport that would read the key? Is it inside the dash somewhere??

Old 10-20-2021, 02:10 AM

If it’s only got a keyport, I would think that’s the only place they fob is going to be picked up
Did it used to work with the fob sitting on the seat?
If you’re going down the route of a new fob, don’t forget to dig out the transponder in your old fob and transfer it over
You will have to program the buttons using your spare fob. I don’t know the sequence for doing that

Quick Reply: Question on instrument cluster change