XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Replacing aj813865 Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing aj813865 Pipe

THIS has a leak on the seam and I need to replace it on a 2013 Jaguar 3.0 supercharged AWD. Does anyone know how to replace it? I have the upgrade p/n AJ813865. What do I need to remove on the motor to get to the 2 bolts on the base to the block?

Last edited by GGG; 01-26-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Crickets! I guess this is a secret on repairing these. I have worked on cars for 43 years and these are one of the worst engines to get info on repairing. Lots of problems with them, I guess everyone just dumps them when they have problems.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I quit the dealer in 2006 so I don't like working on cars later than around 2006!!
My brother bought a 2014 F-Type 3.0. A year later he called me about a coolant leak. I told him I really did not want to mess with it but……………….. He’s my brother.

I looked at the car and it seemed like a water pump leak because the coolant was running down the front of the engine behind the water pump pulley.
I replaced the coolant pump and the leak was EXACTLY the same. ($H!T)

I called my buddy that I thought still worked at the dealer (he has been there for almost 30 years).
He said he quit a few weeks ago (to work for an aviation manufacturer) but advised that the plastic 'Y' pipe was a common source for coolant leaks and that there was an updated 2 piece part to replace the 4 piece assembly you have pictured. The engine oil cooler is less likely to leak but he said he had to replace one once due to corrosion.

I knew that there was something under the SuperCharger leaking and dumping coolant from the valley out next to the water pump so I started to remove the entire intake assy.
I told him I had all the bolts loose but it still would not do anything but rock back and forth. He told me that the 2 'locator' mount pegs under the SC were steel dowels in aluminum (dis-similar metal corrosion) and you need 2 people to rock it back and forth while prying UP. I put a cross brace between the fenders and hooked a chain to the back of the supercharger. I used pry bar to pull up on the chain and a pry bar on the SC 'snout to pry up and rock the intake until it broke loose. (yay)

I called my buddies at the parts dept and verified that the plastic coolant pipes were changed to a 2 piece unit instead of the 4 piece assembly. Next day the parts were delivered and installed. I coated the SC locator dowels with anti-seize compound (the next guy will thank me!!). I bolted everything back in place with new plastic pipe assy and lower intake gaskets. (I reused the top intake cover pliable gasket as the car has 40,000 miles) Pressure tested and NO LEAKS!!!!

The top cover that holds the water to air heat exchangers needs to come off with the dozens of fasteners and then the 6 intake manifold 10mm head bolts can be removed. The high pressure fuel line that crosses over is easily remove with 17mm wrenches/crow feet. The SuperCharger and intake manifolds are a single unit in terms of removal!!!!You can separate after the part is removed as there are fasteners on each side that are not accessible from the top. There is no need to disassemble for this operation. Leave it as a unit!!

It took a learning experience that also took research. I really want to stick to Jaguars from the 1950s to about 2006 from now on!!!!!

Last edited by motorcarman; 01-26-2019 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
daveinliberty (02-02-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I quit the dealer in 2006 so I don't like working on cars later than around 2006!!
My brother bought a 2014 F-Type 3.0. A year later he called me about a coolant leak. I told him I really did not want to mess with it but……………….. He’s my brother.

I looked at the car and it seemed like a water pump leak because the coolant was running down the front of the engine behind the water pump pulley.
I replaced the coolant pump and the leak was EXACTLY the same. ($H!T)

I called my buddy that I thought still worked at the dealer (he has been there for almost 30 years).
He said he quit a few weeks ago (to work for an aviation manufacturer) but advised that the plastic 'Y' pipe was a common source for coolant leaks and that there was an updated 2 piece part to replace the 4 piece assembly you have pictured. The engine oil cooler is less likely to leak but he said he had to replace one once due to corrosion.

I knew that there was something under the SuperCharger leaking and dumping coolant from the valley out next to the water pump so I started to remove the entire intake assy.
I told him I had all the bolts loose but it still would not do anything but rock back and forth. He told me that the 2 'locator' mount pegs under the SC were steel dowels in aluminum (dis-similar metal corrosion) and you need 2 people to rock it back and forth while prying UP. I put a cross brace between the fenders and hooked a chain to the back of the supercharger. I used pry bar to pull up on the chain and a pry bar on the SC 'snout to pry up and rock the intake until it broke loose. (yay)

I called my buddies at the parts dept and verified that the plastic coolant pipes were changed to a 2 piece unit instead of the 4 piece assembly. Next day the parts were delivered and installed. I coated the SC locator dowels with anti-seize compound (the next guy will thank me!!). I bolted everything back in place with new plastic pipe assy and lower intake gaskets. (I reused the top intake cover pliable gasket as the car has 40,000 miles) Pressure tested and NO LEAKS!!!!

The top cover that holds the water to air heat exchangers needs to come off with the dozens of fasteners and then the 6 intake manifold 10mm head bolts can be removed. The high pressure fuel line that crosses over is easily remove with 17mm wrenches/crow feet. The SuperCharger and intake manifolds are a single unit in terms of removal!!!!You can separate after the part is removed as there are fasteners on each side that are not accessible from the top. There is no need to disassemble for this operation. Leave it as a unit!!

It took a learning experience that also took research. I really want to stick to Jaguars from the 1950s to about 2006 from now on!!!!!
thank you for your help, I will start on it when I get the rest of the parts in!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 PM

And it's ridiculous that you have to pull the whole topside apart just to replace the tube!

Old 01-26-2019, 03:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,769 Likes on 12,156 Posts

Welcome to the forum daveinliberty,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X250 forum. I've also deleted two other versions of it and a further post in an existing thread in X260 forum. Do NOT multiple post on the same topic.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

daveinliberty (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by daveinliberty
Crickets! I guess this is a secret on repairing these. I have worked on cars for 43 years and these are one of the worst engines to get info on repairing. Lots of problems with them, I guess everyone just dumps them when they have problems.
No, it's just that you are not good at searching. There are a couple of DIY's on these plastic pipes posted here.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 PM

I have searched on this site, and the entire internet, have found nothing. If you have the links to the how to videos I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM

I repeat my earlier response, CRICKETS! I guess you would rather give a smart *** remark the just copy and paste the links to help me out.SMH!

Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 PM

I thought I gave a good description of what was involved in POST #3?

Start taking things off like I did. The SC is the hardest to remove because of the 2 dowels corroding and holding it to the top of the block.

A forum member Bigg Will did a write up on the 5.0 that is basically the same procedure.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-187802/page2/

Stop complaining and get busy!!

bob

Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,220 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Yes another vote to look up Big Will. He has made a series of repair videos and all posted to this forum.
Very well done and he actually DRIVES his car!

Old 01-31-2019, 03:20 PM

Hint: instead of lip service and pics, this is how you do help videos RIGHT! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...rqClSIThpSicJw

RIP Ron, he died in a car wreck a few years ago running a call to help someone work on their vehicle on his off day.

Last edited by daveinliberty; 01-31-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:22 PM

Hint: instead of lip service and pics, this is how you do help videos RIGHT! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...rqClSIThpSicJw

RIP Ron, he died in a car wreck a few years ago running a call to help someone work on their vehicle on his off day.
Then do a video for the world to see. I will attempt to help people but I will NOT hold your hand or fix it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop criticizing and get your damn car fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Jag#4 (02-02-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

I repeat my earlier response, CRICKETS! I guess you would rather give a smart *** remark the just copy and paste the links to help me out.SMH!
You are definitely annoying. I have already done more to help you than I wish I had.

I said good day sir!

Jag#4 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Hint: instead of lip service and pics, this is how you do help videos RIGHT!
So to sum up,
  • You come onto the forum, asking for information on fitting a part
  • When you don't get a response as quick as you'd like you bemoan the lack of immediately-available information and declare that it "must be a secret"
  • Someone then provides you with all the information you need to do this, if you were at all willing to put any effort into working out how to put the information to good use. Astonishingly, you are arrogant and quite frankly outright rude enough to write this (and further offers of pictures) off as "lip service", pointing to a Youtube video as an example of the kind of help you're demanding and yet angry that you haven't been given.
Entitled little f**ker, aren't you?

Do you find being this obnoxious with people generally gets you the results you want in life?

Quite frankly, if you're too lazy or too ignorant to take the information that's been given to you and work it out for yourself then you should be paying someone to do it for you.

Last edited by davetibbs; 02-01-2019 at 05:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Bigg Will (02-03-2019), gt40 (10-10-2020), Jag#4 (02-02-2019), Swimref (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts
davetibbs (02-02-2019)