XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Sun Visor Issue

Old 05-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Sun Visor Issue

When I fold my driver's side sun visor back up, it makes a loud "clack" sound. I have no such noise from the passenger side sun visor. Since the car is out of warranty, I don't want to bring it to the dealer for an expensive repair.

Anyone else have this issue, and if so, is there a DIY fix?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
When I fold my driver's side sun visor back up, it makes a loud "clack" sound. I have no such noise from the passenger side sun visor. Since the car is out of warranty, I don't want to bring it to the dealer for an expensive repair.

It's about to start dangling, mine doesn't fully go up but the new one is like $350 so I'm living with it..lol

Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue, but haven't taken it apart to troubleshoot it, yet.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

1999 XKR Convertible

Limp Sun Visor?

Took mine apart after looking on the forum (this time I was able to thank those that had previously posted about such things).

Unclip cover to reveal screws.

I found the plastic end of the visor arm had broken, this is how it should have looked:

Intact sun visor attachment from passenger side (UK model)

This is what I found on the drivers side (UK model )

Not wanting to pay out without having a go at a home fix, I proceeded to cut away the broken plastic from the screwed in part, making it flush. I also removed the exposed metal and the remnants of plastic on the sun visor arm.

After this I centre drilled the metal with a 3.5mm drill and threaded the hole using a 4mm tap.

Searching through my bolts collection I found a 4mm bolt that was a little too long so cut it to the desired length. With the aid of some washers to pack out to the correct height I replaced the visor to find it was no longer a limp excuse for a visor and hugs the roof liner snug as a bug and pulls down firmly when needed.

The original visor fixing allows it to be removed from the clip and twisted to shield the driver from the sun on the side window, after my tweak this is now not an option but to be fair it was not able to do this when broken anyway.

Paul.

Last edited by Sapphire Blue; 08-22-2016 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Tidying up post & spelling
The following users liked this post:
Injekter (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the instructions. One question, is it not possible to just buy the broken plastic part and re-insert the visor into that part?

Also, I have these plastic pry bars that make it easier to remove trim pieces without scuffing them up the way a flathead screwdriver might. I would suggest to anyone trying this to use those.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. One question, is it not possible to just buy the broken plastic part and re-insert the visor into that part?
LOL, when have you ever been able to just buy the part you need with a Jag?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

The quick bodge was instigated to correct the annoying sagging sun visor with the minimum of cost and with the view that "maybe" I would come across a suitable used sun visor someday.

As you can see my XKR is considerably older than your's Long Islander so I'm happy to wait rather than splash the cash.

Bigg Will, I had a suspicion a new replacement would involve a considerably larger part (and cost) than I needed for a quick fix.

Happy Motoring
Paul.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:39 PM

I went to the Jaguar dealer parts department to see what their parts diagram showed for sun visor related parts. Underneath the plastic trim, there is a retaining clip (part no. C2Z11347) which seems to hold the outboard edge of the sun visor in place. Since it was only $8, I thought I'd take a gamble and order one. Attached is a photo of the part. When I get a chance, I'll remove the trim piece and see if replacing the retaining clip eliminates the problem.

Attached Thumbnails Sun Visor Issue-img_0424.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Please let us know if that part fixes the issue.

I knew I should have programmed the garage opener to the car, Now I'm sagging pretty bad, the passenger side visor is used more and has less "sag".