XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger tensioner/coupler rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Supercharger tensioner/coupler rattle

Hello, I have a 2015 Jaguar XFS AWD (3.0 Super-Charged Petrol Engine) that is making a rattling sound upon switching off the engine (sounds like a diesel engine). I understand this is a common issue with JLR's 5.0 and 3.0 supercharged engines. Upon having the car inspected by the dealership, the service manager agreed that there is indeed a problem with the supercharger, but it is not covered under CPO warranty. I contacted JLR Canada to make a case regarding the issue, who contacted the dealership to get the service history of my vehicle which is complete and up to date. The JLR representative contacted me 3 weeks later and came to the conclusion that my car, given the mileage (64,000 KM or ~39,000 miles) and model year is too new and has too little of an ODO reading that I do not qualify for CPO coverage. In other words, I would have a better chance of coverage if the car was driven more to warrant failure of the part and the repair that follows.

I looked up the CPO coverages brochure and found that the entire supercharger unit is indeed covered under CPO warranty, but now JLR is telling be that there are other factors like year and mileage that determine whats covered and what isn't? How do I go about dealing with this matter....any help or advice would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm not sure how much it will cost me to re place the supercharger unit, I reckon it will be A LOT (parts and labour), how long before the part completely fails, and are there any consequences of leaving it be as is? The sound is only audible upon switching the engine off, there is no rattle or shake that can be felt in the cabin or outside. The only symptoms I've noticed is the high fuel consumption, but I was told that is an unrelated issue to the supercharger; however, my OBD scan tool was not able to find any fault, and neither was dealership able to find anything that would cause the fuel economy to spike to (20L/100 KM or 11.7 MPG) average. Is there anything that directly or indirectly links faulty supercharger to poor fuel economy?

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

My '10 XKR had done around 35,000km's when I had the supercharger coupler changed so yours is by no means too low a mileage for the issue. It sounded like a bag of marbles as the engine was switched off.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
My '10 XKR had done around 35,000km's when I had the supercharger coupler changed so yours is by no means too low a mileage for the issue. It sounded like a bag of marbles as the engine was switched off.
"A bag of marbles" would be another way of describing the sound. Did you get it fixed through a Jaguar dealership or independent? I've been quoted $4,250 (parts and labour).

Would ignoring the issue make things worse...?

Thanks for the response

Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Lots of discussion of the supercharger coupler/torsion isolator wear problem on the XF and F-Type sub-forums as well.
The usual symptoms are a little different to the OP's - a "bag of marbles" rattle on start up and cold idle that gradually fades as the engine warms, and quite often a loud "clunk" when the engine is turned off.
There are warranty fix TSBs for all Jags with the AJ126 and AJ133 SC engines covering this problem, and the "fix" involves not just replacing the coupler but replacing the entire SC snout. I had mine done under warranty a couple of years ago.
But sometimes the problem goes deeper than just the coupler and the entire supercharger needs to be replaced.
I don't know whether the CPO warranty covers this or not, but I reckon it should.
The jury is out on if/how/whether/when a worn coupler causes more serious problems than just an annoying rattle and clunk, but I would guess that if left untreated it will eventually cause more serious problems.
Search around the forum for "coupler" and "torsion isolator" and you will find a heap of info.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Lots of discussion of the supercharger coupler/torsion isolator wear problem on the XF and F-Type sub-forums as well.
The usual symptoms are a little different to the OP's - a "bag of marbles" rattle on start up and cold idle that gradually fades as the engine warms, and quite often a loud "clunk" when the engine is turned off.
There are warranty fix TSBs for all Jags with the AJ126 and AJ133 SC engines covering this problem, and the "fix" involves not just replacing the coupler but replacing the entire SC snout. I had mine done under warranty a couple of years ago.
But sometimes the problem goes deeper than just the coupler and the entire supercharger needs to be replaced.
I don't know whether the CPO warranty covers this or not, but I reckon it should.
The jury is out on if/how/whether/when a worn coupler causes more serious problems than just an annoying rattle and clunk, but I would guess that if left untreated it will eventually cause more serious problems.
Search around the forum for "coupler" and "torsion isolator" and you will find a heap of info.
Right. In my case, there is no sound during start-up, atleast not that I can hear, nor is there any abnormal sound while the engine is running, it can only be heard while the engine is shutting down - no sound after it has turned off.

JLR North America recommended I speak to the service manager of the dealership I purchased the car from to see if they're willing to pay for the repair - the dealership on the other hand can't approve any repairs unless JLR authorizes it. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this matter. As much as I'd like to keep my car in tip top shape, I can't shell out $4K being an undergrad student, hence why I paid the premium over non CPO examples of the car to have that piece of mind.

OzXFR, did you manage to get your supercharger unit replaced through Jaguar absent any cost to you? Did you jave to push for it?

I'll look into other threads regarding the issue, but at the end of the day I know what the problem is and that it needs fixing; however, I'd like to know if others have had it fixed under CPO.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Right. In my case, there is no sound during start-up, atleast not that I can hear, nor is there any abnormal sound while the engine is running, it can only be heard while the engine is shutting down - no sound after it has turned off.

JLR North America recommended I speak to the service manager of the dealership I purchased the car from to see if they're willing to pay for the repair - the dealership on the other hand can't approve any repairs unless JLR authorizes it. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this matter. As much as I'd like to keep my car in tip top shape, I can't shell out $4K being an undergrad student, hence why I paid the premium over non CPO examples of the car to have that piece of mind.

OzXFR, did you manage to get your supercharger unit replaced through Jaguar absent any cost to you? Did you jave to push for it?

I'll look into other threads regarding the issue, but at the end of the day I know what the problem is and that it needs fixing; however, I'd like to know if others have had it fixed under CPO.
I had the SC snout changed under an OEM warranty claim (not CPO), zero cost to me other than the inconvenience of taking the car to the dealership and leaving it with them for a few days.
I little "pushing" though, when I first took it into the JLR dealership I told them it was the coupler and showed them the TSB, and they ignored me and came back after I had waited a couple of hours to say "we reckon it is the SC belt tensioner".
They sent me away, replaced the tensioner (three days wait to get the part) and surprise surprise they admitted it did not fix the problem.
So they keep the car for a few more days and this time they performed the SC snout replacement TSB.
Still some rattle on start up and cold idle but no more clunk and once the engine is warm the rattle is pretty much gone.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I had the SC snout changed under an OEM warranty claim (not CPO), zero cost to me other than the inconvenience of taking the car to the dealership and leaving it with them for a few days.
I little "pushing" though, when I first took it into the JLR dealership I told them it was the coupler and showed them the TSB, and they ignored me and came back after I had waited a couple of hours to say "we reckon it is the SC belt tensioner".
They sent me away, replaced the tensioner (three days wait to get the part) and surprise surprise they admitted it did not fix the problem.
So they keep the car for a few more days and this time they performed the SC snout replacement TSB.
Still some rattle on start up and cold idle but no more clunk and once the engine is warm the rattle is pretty much gone.
"OEM warranty claim" - I'll look into that too. As it stands, are you still experiencing a minor rattling sound upon switching the engine off? Or did you end getting the entire supercharger changed after the fact.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

"OEM warranty claim" - I'll look into that too. As it stands, are you still experiencing a minor rattling sound upon switching the engine off? Or did you end getting the entire supercharger changed after the fact.
Some rattle at start up and with a cold engine, over and above the myriad ticks and rattles a healthy AJ126 SC engine normally makes anyway - injector ticking, fuel pump ticking/rattling and so on. Probably still the spring inside the (new) coupler but not as bad as before the warranty fix. I never had a rattling sound when turning a warm engine off, only a clunk (which was caused by the coupler spring rebounding due to the wear of the spring on the internal part of the coupler), and that clunk has never returned after the warranty fix.
I only ever had the TSB fix which was replacement of the SC snout, the rest of the SC is still the original.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

"A bag of marbles" would be another way of describing the sound. Did you get it fixed through a Jaguar dealership or independent? I've been quoted $4,250 (parts and labour).

Would ignoring the issue make things worse...?

Thanks for the response
I had mine change under warranty but it was an aftermarket warranty as the car is that much older.

They paid to have the snout changed but I also had a solid coupler put in at the same time as I had already bought one.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I can't understand the CPO issue. Surely that's the point of a CPO warranty. A part that shouldn't have failed yet (ie not natural wear) has failed. That's exactly when a warranty should be covering it

Something doesn't add up here. You should ask them to clarify. If it's a covered repair on CPO (which it sounds like it is) then it should cover it. I could understand if they said it makes noise but works fine so nothing needed. Or they said the car has been abused and it's user damage. But if you have a full service history and CPO then it should cover it
How long ago did you buy it? And did they do a new CPO for you, or is that just transferred from a prior owner?

Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Hey, I bought the car in September of 2017 indirectly from my dad through the dealership that did the full CPO warranty inspection and added the coverage. As it stands, both the dealership and JLR North America are pointing me to each other. First I took the car to the dealership, initially they said there is no problem, but then after convincing the service manager to have a tech look at it, they agreed that yes the supercharger is bad and needs to be replaced. They attempted the fix by changing the tensioner, which did not fix the issue, they held on to the car and contacted JLR North America to get approval for full supercharger replacement - the claim was denied and the dealership informed me about it and asked me to contact JLR myself as a customer making a claim is more effective than a dealership (so they say). I collected the car, called JLR and they answered back after 3 weeks saying that "Yes we understand you have CPO warranty and the Supercharger needs to be replaced, BUT CPO is not the same as factory (new car) warranty and the supercharger is NOT covered since there is no dash light that has come up yet, and the fact that the car only has xyz KMs, it's too early to justify changing the part....I informed the representative that was dealing with my case that Jaguar CPO warranty brochure clearly states that the supercharger is covered - her answer was that since she is not a mechanic, and since the dealership told her that the supercharger is NOT covered under CPO they can only cover 30% of the cost (through brand loyalty program) if I choose to get the repair done.

I contacted the service manager about what I was told and asked why do they believe that the supercharger is not covered under warranty. He responded by saying that since it's not a factory warranty, not everything is covered - and that they dont decide what is and isn't covered, corporate does - if they have denied your claim, there is nothing he can do about it.

I have since reached out to the finance manager who keeps record of all CPO related information and specifics of what is and isn't covered under warranty.

I wish I could get a clear answer.

I have all the service records from when my dad owned the car till present day. Apparently this was also taken into consideration and JLR contacted the service manager and asked about "What kind of a customer was I and has the car been properly maintained".

I'm debating if I should take the car to another Jaguar dealership and start a new claim, though from what I've gathered, JLR dealerships that have not sold the car to me directly will not be as keen on helping me as they would a customer that has purchased their vehicle from them.

Managers response:

Hello XYZ,

I wish there was something that we can do on our end as a dealer however there is not, we cannot over rule decisions made by the manufacturer. Feel free to call me at your convenience.

Thanks,

Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 PM

To summarize:

JLR North American: We wont fix it, because it is not covered under CPO warranty. We can offer you a 30% discount on the replacement.

Jaguar Dealership: We can't fix it unless corporate authorizes it, and they have denied your claim because the part is not covered under CPO warranty.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Seems like an odd statement? It does NOT require a check engine light to be on to get service under any warranty.
I mean I had my water pump replaced under warranty and that certainly does not set any codes or lights.

I had a fight with my dealer over the wrong engine oil they put in and I finally contacted JLR in the UK.
We have had a Jaguar service representative on this forum named Carol. You might do some searches and contact her.

I was happy with my final outcome but it took a while to convince them to put in the correct oil.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Seems like an odd statement? It does NOT require a check engine light to be on to get service under any warranty.
I mean I had my water pump replaced under warranty and that certainly does not set any codes or lights.

I had a fight with my dealer over the wrong engine oil they put in and I finally contacted JLR in the UK.
We have had a Jaguar service representative on this forum named Carol. You might do some searches and contact her.

I was happy with my final outcome but it took a while to convince them to put in the correct oil.
Thanks for the reply. My theory is, that since the part has not yet "failed" to the point where it's causing issues while driving, JLR is less than keen on just changing a faulty part on the brink of failure.

My warranty ends early December this year, that said, I'll make an attempt at opening another case with a different dealership to see if I can get the repair done or atleast get a proper response as to why they can't do it. Simply saying "It isn't covered" puts me in an odd position because no one seems to have a documented list of parts that they deem should be covered under CPO.

The JLR representative used water pump as an example saying that part wouldn't be covered since its made out of plastic....what? I understand if my wiper blades are worn, brake pads, gaskets and trim pieces go bad. Saying that anything that is rubberized or plastic is wear and tear item boggles the mind.

I'll also try to reach "Carol" to see if she can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a link to the included list in the Jag CPO warranty
(Not the letter at the top that states some exclusions, but the rest of the pages)
Supercharger is absolutely included in CPO

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...n-list-213059/

Try a different dealer although I expect they will see it on the records
But I still can't understand how a supercharger issue isn't covered by CPO. You should escalate in Jag.

The following users liked this post:
Zereldo (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Give this a try. I was pretty mad about the whole thing but in the end Carol did help me and Jaguar did come thru.

Carol A Mack
Mack, Carol <cmack1@jaguarlandrover.com>

Customer Relationship Center Representative
T: US: Land Rover 1-
800-637-6837 or Jaguar 1-800-452-4827, Option 9

T: Canada: Land Rover 1-800-346-3493 or Jaguar 1-800-668-6257, Option 9
F: 888-410-0938 EXT: 1309058

Let us know what happens.

No the water pump is not plastic. Many cooling parts are and are prone to fail but not the pump.

The following users liked this post:
Zereldo (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 AM

Give this a try. I was pretty mad about the whole thing but in the end Carol did help me and Jaguar did come thru.

Carol A Mack

No the water pump is not plastic. Many cooling parts are and are prone to fail but not the pump.
Will contact her first thing Monday. Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing the details.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM

Carol A Mack

I tried reaching Carol, though like you said, since I have a case open with a representative, she has no power over making any modification to the case...nor is she willing to speak to me absent approval from my current case manager.

I don't know what the deal with JLR is. I've left Carol a voice mail requesting a call back to get her opinion on the matter as othe opposed to getting my case assigned to her since that's a big NO NO.

The representative I spoke to today told me that CPO warranty coverage depends on dealership to dealership. Right....

Old 07-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that.
Hope you can get if fixed for a reasonable cost.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote The representative I spoke to today told me that CPO warranty coverage depends on dealership to dealership. Right....

Just to clarify, it's not a warranty with JLR. It's an extended service plan with a third party that your dealer is the reseller for. So it is possible that different dealers sell their own extended plans. Do you have the paperwork that states who the extended contract is with? I can look back at mine and see if they are the same. Maybe that's the difference here?

Quick Reply: Supercharger tensioner/coupler rattle