XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TPMS warning lights on the XF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts
Default TPMS warning lights on the XF?

I am looking to buy a set of snow tires/wheels and have a few questions pertaining to the TPMS on the XF.

My last car I just left the warning light on the dash for the few months I had snows on because I did not want to pay another $200 for the sensors and then to have them programmed.

What are the low pressure lights/buzzers on the XF? Is it just a light in the display or is it more annoying than that?

If I get sensors on the snow tires, how is it programed to the car? Can I do it or does a dealer have to? If a delaer needs to, how much is it normally?

Thanks for any info offered.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I am looking to buy a set of snow tires/wheels and have a few questions pertaining to the TPMS on the XF.

My last car I just left the warning light on the dash for the few months I had snows on because I did not want to pay another $200 for the sensors and then to have them programmed.

What are the low pressure lights/buzzers on the XF? Is it just a light in the display or is it more annoying than that?

If I get sensors on the snow tires, how is it programed to the car? Can I do it or does a dealer have to? If a delaer needs to, how much is it normally?

The warning on the XF is a combination, the warning lamp, and also a message in the message center stating Tire Pressure System Fault. It shows just like the door open message.

If you get a set of winter wheels and have sensors in them, the sensor ID's will have to be changed in the TPMS configuration each time you switch back and forth. Plus, if the winter wheels are a different size, say 17" rather than 18" or 19", that will have to be changed in the vehicle configuration also. It will probably cost between $100 and $200 at each switch.

I know you are probably making a face right now, but considering the XF and how it's powered and equipped, I think it's a good idea to do the switch out, INCLUDING TPMS sensors. You'll be much happier and safer when the snow flies.

My two cents......

Last edited by xjrguy; 09-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium

The low pressure lights are very annoying and right in the middle of the dash where your clock normally resides. After a while it starts to switch from amber to red and back and forth again ("Tire Not Monitored" in red letters, then "TPMS System Fault" in amber letters). I know this because I had to use the temporary spare until I got my flat tire repaired. Then, after I put the original wheel back, it took a bit of driving without stopping at lights, etc. before it finally went out and I breathed a sigh of relief. Do not consider installing any tires without TPMS sensors.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
The warning on the XF is a combination, the warning lamp, and also a message in the message center stating Tire Pressure System Fault. It shows just like the door open message.

If you get a set of winter wheels and have sensors in them, the sensor ID's will have to be changed in the TPMS configuration each time you switch back and forth. Plus, if the winter wheels are a different size, say 17" rather than 18" or 19", that will have to be changed in the vehicle configuration also. It will probably cost between $100 and $200 at each switch.

I know you are probably making a face right now, but considering the XF and how it's powered and equipped, I think it's a good idea to do the switch out, INCLUDING TPMS sensors. You'll be much happier and safer when the snow flies.

My two cents......
I wonder if this is why my dealer says that most XF SC'ers just stay with the 20 inch staggered setup and buy Nokians. I wasn't counting on that extra step.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Aren't new TPMS sensors picked up automatically by the car? A trip to dealer cannot be avoided if you want all to function as intended? If you change sensors but stay with the original wheels size (i.e. get another set of wheels) do the new sensors then need recalibration to the vehicle?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The rolling diameter stays the same with rim changes....or so it should if sized correctly. My experience has been that they don't get picked up automatically despite what the manual says. I bought a full set of snows with TPMS and put up with the warning all winter. Because the snows were mounted prior to delivery I couldn't easily get the ID codes off the senders so they could be programmed.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cwood
The rolling diameter stays the same with rim changes....or so it should if sized correctly. My experience has been that they don't get picked up automatically despite what the manual says. I bought a full set of snows with TPMS and put up with the warning all winter. Because the snows were mounted prior to delivery I couldn't easily get the ID codes off the senders so they could be programmed.

I take it the reprogramming has to be completed by the dealer?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM

That is what I was told. I figured I would get the codes off them while they are off the car prior to this season. Still bugs me that I would have to pay to have them picked up. I may just live with the warnings rather than do that. Part of what I like about a full set of snows on rims is independence from the dealer and shops by doing the swap myself.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Aren't new TPMS sensors picked up automatically by the car? A trip to dealer cannot be avoided if you want all to function as intended? If you change sensors but stay with the original wheels size (i.e. get another set of wheels) do the new sensors then need recalibration to the vehicle?
Somewhere they allude to the idea that if driven long enough, the TPMS will read the new sensors, but that just isn't the case in practice. So yes, you will need the dealer trip. My comment about the wheel size programming only holds if the wheel diameter is changed, it's a wash if the diameter stays the same.

This TPMS business, no matter which manufacturer, seems to have turned out way more complicated and temperamental than it needs to be, in my opinion. And frankly, no two systems are the same. In fact, with an XK, I can read the four sensors for ID codes to input in the system with SDD. I can't do that with an XF, go figure. So the tire changeover is a little more involved with the XF. Not a big deal, but more involved. There are tools out there that will wirelessly interrogate and display the sensor ID's, but they are very expensive. I think you may find some tire outfits have these tools since they have to deal with these rather often.

I just caution against the idea of letting the warning display for a season. That trains you to ignore the message center; I don't think that's a good idea. In the long run, for safety and piece of mind, I think the expense to properly changeover and program a seasonal tire set is worthy. But, it is your call.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 09-04-2012 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Hear you on the warning messages and ignoring them...but I have been driving for many years...most of which were without TPMS. I am very in tune with the visuals of a correctly inflated tire. Hell, I'm usually the one telling friends that they have a low tire.