XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wheel (Rim + Tire fitment)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wheel (Rim + Tire fitment)

Hello, I have a 2015 Jaguar XFS AWD that I'm planning on getting a winter tyre set for. The car came with 20" x 8.5 square set up with 255/35 R20 Pirelli P Zero.

I was able to get a set of Original Jaguar XJ/L wheels from my father's 2018 model year. The wheels are dubbed "Aleutian" and measure 19" x 9 (Front) & 19" x 10 (Rear). I found a really good deal on a set of Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 Winter tyres, a staggered set measuring 255/45 R19 for the fronts and 285/40 R19. Ideally going with a narrow tire track is best for driving in the winter, but I'm getting the set of Pirelli winter tyres for an irresistible price.

My question is, would I be able to get away with 255/45 R19 in the fronts? Not necessarily concerned about the rears as I'm confident they will fit w/o rubbing as they don't "turn".
The fronts (& rear) will measure to an overall Tyre + rim diameter of 28" or 711 mm.

I read through a few forums and called up a couple Of JLR dealerships, but neither addressed he question.

So any and all help would be deeply appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

I read through lots of threads on tire sizing in my quest for taller sidewalls. Take a look inside there as its not just what its going to rub against when it turns lock to lock, but you've also got a lock nut in there fixed at about 3/4 inch above the top of the stock tire. Since nobody on here was running the size tire and wheel I was considering, what I did before ordering a full set of tires is I went to one of those places that sells cheap, used tires and had them mount a used tire for $35 on my 18" wheel. I checked it thoroughly in place and then when I was reasonably certain it was probably not going to rub anywhere, I drove the car carefully around the block with the test tire mounted at each corner, being sure to mount the rolled curb at the end of the driveway with the front wheels at full lock. I figured if that didn't make it rub, then it was going to be fine. Success! Then I went ahead and ordered a full set of 235/50r18s. It was the cheapest way I could think of to test-fit. But going from 245/45r19 to 235/50r18 really transformed the ride quality. Its still not a magic carpet ride like a proper Jaguar of old, but its much better. Still even with 3/4" taller sidewalls, it wasn't nine months before I had to have a wheel repaired.

Last edited by pdupler; 12-25-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
I read through lots of threads on tire sizing in my quest for taller sidewalls. Take a look inside there as its not just what its going to rub against when it turns lock to lock, but you've also got a lock nut in there fixed at about 3/4 inch above the top of the stock tire. Since nobody on here was running the size tire and wheel I was considering, what I did before ordering a full set of tires is I went to one of those places that sells cheap, used tires and had them mount a used tire for $35 on my 18" wheel. I checked it thoroughly in place and then when I was reasonably certain it was probably not going to rub anywhere, I drove the car carefully around the block with the test tire mounted at each corner, being sure to mount the rolled curb at the end of the driveway with the front wheels at full lock. I figured if that didn't make it rub, then it was going to be fine. Success! Then I went ahead and ordered a full set of 235/50r18s. It was the cheapest way I could think of to test-fit. But going from 245/45r19 to 235/50r18 really transformed the ride quality. Its still not a magic carpet ride like a proper Jaguar of old, but its much better. Still even with 3/4" taller sidewalls, it wasn't nine months before I had to have a wheel repaired.
Hey Pdupler, thanks your response! I made a deal with the gentleman selling me the tyres and he offered to test fit one on the front and try turning the steering lock to lock. He has his doubts as the 255/45 R19 is a Porche Panamera OEM tyre that may just clear a Jaguar XJ, but XF seems unlikely. Your 235/50 18 measures up to a total diameter of 27.3" or 693 mm vs stock wheel on XF's 245/40 R19, which measures 26.7" or 678 mm. Finally the set up I'm perusing which like I mentioned above will measure up to 28" or 711 mm. That said, have you had any trouble w/ your wheel set up? i understand there is a difference in width 235 vs 255 and different offsets on the wheels as well that could be a contributing factor in voiding my set up entirely. I always assumed the suspension set up on the XJ, XK and XF were identical if not similar. How much room do you reckon you've got b/w the tyre and the steering lock nut? It would be 18 mm taller than your current set up.

I'll be getting a test fit done on the 28th with my fingers crossed. Itherwise I'd have to shell out $1900 CAD for a more appropriate set of tyres.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember to note your locking wheelnut key details BEFORE you lose it everyone.
If this warning comes too late P.M. me
Mike.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:11 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Zereldo -

There is a GREAT web site that details ALL questions regarding wheel and tire fitment - one can compare any wheel/tire size fitment and there are accompanying pictures that change when various situations are input into the calculator.

Here's the site - I think it should save one from having to do actual trial fitments. I know it answered my questions about using wheels from an 2001-2015 XF on my 2005 Super V8.

The site is Wheel-size.com

I hope this helps.

Mike D.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
Zereldo -

There is a GREAT web site that details ALL questions regarding wheel and tire fitment - one can compare any wheel/tire size fitment and there are accompanying pictures that change when various situations are input into the calculator.

Here's the site - I think it should save one from having to do actual trial fitments. I know it answered my questions about using wheels from an 2001-2015 XF on my 2005 Super V8.

The site is Wheel-size.com

I hope this helps.

Mike D.
Hey Mike, thanks for the input! I came across this very website and more like it. I may not be using all the potential information on "Wheel-size.com", feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Most I found was the factory option for my particular model and alternatives i.e the factory size on mine was 20x8.5j w/ 255/35 R20, I'm looking to switch over to 19x9.0j w/ 255/45/ R19 (Front) & 19x10.0j w/ 285/40 R19 (Rear) for winter use. The rims in question are OEM XJ rims. With all that said, the website doesn't answer the one question, which may not be as straight forward as I make it to be, the overall rim+tyre diameter tolerance within the wheel arches. The closest size the website has a mention of is 19x8.5j w/ 255/49 R19. 2/5 Local dealerships I called said it will be fine, the rest didn't want to take any liability over sharing incorrect information (in otherwise, they did not know) and advised against it.

Sorry about the lengthy response! Do you reckon I would be damaging the vehicle even by test fitting a tyre/ rim combo not meant for the vehicle? I.e breaking the fender liner or pressing the tyre against a suspension component as the vehicle is lowered on the floor?

Old 12-27-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Z -
The Wheel-Size site will give you a side by side diagram or the various conditions you want to try. Simply bring up the OEM specs for your car 2015 XF-S and you will see 20x8.5 with 255-35-R20.

Then since you want to go down in wheel size there should be a listing of many various typical possibilities for your car. You would go to MINUS sizing 19 inch and click on any fitment parameter.

Doing this splits the fitment diagrams into 2 and you can now input the new desired condition. The result is a side by side comparison each fitment parameter.

When I did this for your car the calculator says the fronts condition will be OK.

For the rears, in the section regarding "clearance" and the line pertaining to clearance of the fender wheel well, it says to make sure you have enough room, and that using a higher offset may be necessary.
I used 49mm offset as that is what is used on the XJ. I think spacers can be used to increase the offset but not sure how much an increase is necessary or safe.

So. it seems to me that a real world test will be necessary with proper precautions of course.

BUT - you should, if you haven't already, do this side by side comparison yourself to see it first hand.

Regards,
Mike D.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
Z -
The Wheel-Size site will give you a side by side diagram or the various conditions you want to try. Simply bring up the OEM specs for your car 2015 XF-S and you will see 20x8.5 with 255-35-R20.

Then since you want to go down in wheel size there should be a listing of many various typical possibilities for your car. You would go to MINUS sizing 19 inch and click on any fitment parameter.

Doing this splits the fitment diagrams into 2 and you can now input the new desired condition. The result is a side by side comparison each fitment parameter.

When I did this for your car the calculator says the fronts condition will be OK.

For the rears, in the section regarding "clearance" and the line pertaining to clearance of the fender wheel well, it says to make sure you have enough room, and that using a higher offset may be necessary.
I used 49mm offset as that is what is used on the XJ. I think spacers can be used to increase the offset but not sure how much an increase is necessary or safe.

So. it seems to me that a real world test will be necessary with proper precautions of course.

BUT - you should, if you haven't already, do this side by side comparison yourself to see it first hand.

Regards,
Mike D.
Thanks for all the great info Mike!

Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Final update: I ended up test fitting the following

Front Tyre: 255/45 R19
Front Rim: 19 x 9j

The wheel appeared to fit in absent any visual red flags. Once installed, I had the tyre shop specialest steer the wheels lock to lock and noticed the tyre rubbed ever so slightly against the back end of the fender liner on both front wheels, nothing excessive.

Fix : Used heat gun on the point on the fender liner where the tyre rubbed and gently pushed it in, followed by a cold water spray to harden in place. This method eliminated any and all tyre rub.

Rear Tyre: 285/40 R19
Rear Rim:19 x 10j

No issues with fitment on the rear.

Conclusion: I've driven around about 50 KMs so far with current setup with "modification" made to front fender liners and all seems to work w/o any issues.

Cheers!