XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

White smoke after installing K&N filters-2010 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default White smoke after installing K&N filters-2010 XFR

About 2 days after installing the new filters, I began to see a lot of smoke. The check engine light came on and felt like I lost all torque. I took it to the dealer and now they can't find anything wrong with it. They sent the codes off to some engineers on the East Coast, but they don't think they will find anything either. I was reading that I should have soaked them in warm water first to get excess oil off and then let them dry. Anyone ever have this issue?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

What I always did with all my K&N filters was, I let them sit out in the sun for 3 days to dry and/or blotted them dry with a towel to remove excess oil from them. Never use compressed air to blow off the excess oil but rather blot them dry with some towel and let air dry in the sun for a day or so before first use and after cleaning.

If any oil gets sucked into the intake path and gets o nthe Mass Air Flow meter element your car will start to have some issues. I forgot which type of MAF is used on our cars so I cant be sure how to tell you how to clean it if you can even do so. Some are hot wire resistor type and others are film type, not sure which is on ours.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

no but i can tell you that on all dual filtered jags now we use "matched set" air filters that are manufactured on the same day useing the same material. jaguar has found that the slight variances just in material has/does cause airflow imbalances that affects the engine running and AFR's. Kinda why I no longer recomend any air filter unless theyre matched sets regardless of who makes it

The following users liked this post:
plums (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Why even have a MAF then? The MAF is there to read the air flow. It shouldn't matter if one side is flowing less than the other. They will become unmatched over time anyway due to dirt and debris.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the K&N filters in mine and never had a issue. You just have to make sure you only oil the side that faces the inlet to the airbox after cleaning. I have had them in since 2010 and so far so good. I believe Jag makes their MAF system to sensitive to sudden changes, Dirt and debris are changes that collect over time. IMHO..

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Why even have a MAF then? The MAF is there to read the air flow. It shouldn't matter if one side is flowing less than the other. They will become unmatched over time anyway due to dirt and debris.
DONT ASK ME I DONT ENGINEER THE SOFTWARE OR THE CAR. I JUST HAVE TO FIX IT
FUNNY TOO HOW IT GOES INTO 1 TUBE AFTER EACH FILTER AND MAFS. BUT IT DOES CAUSE ISSUES. DOES IT IN ALL CARS. NOPE. BUT ITS DONE IT OFTEN ENOUGH THAT THEY ISSUED A TECH SERVICE BULLETIN AND NOW SUPPLY DUAL AIR FILTERS IN A MATCHED SET. DONT KILL THE MESSENGER K

Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
FUNNY TOO HOW IT GOES INTO 1 TUBE AFTER EACH FILTER AND MAFS. BUT IT DOES CAUSE ISSUES. DOES IT IN ALL CARS. NOPE. BUT ITS DONE IT OFTEN ENOUGH THAT THEY ISSUED A TECH SERVICE BULLETIN AND NOW SUPPLY DUAL AIR FILTERS IN A MATCHED SET. DONT KILL THE MESSENGER K
Hey Brutal..

Maybe I got lucky and K&N issued mine as a match set. I purchased them directly from K&N shortly after they introduced the filters for the XF. A lot of what you said sounds logical. I'm also wondering if it makes a difference between the supercharged engine vs N/A engine.. The supercharged engine sucks more air in even at idle as oppose to the N/A motor.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I'm an engineer and I write software. It just doesn't make sense which is why I was asking.

I do have K&N's in my car as well. Never had an issue. The original poster could pull the MAF's and clean them out with some MAF cleaner (electronics cleaner) if he thinks the K&N oil is the cause. Maybe he knocked something loose or didn't hook something back up when he was installing the filters.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 10-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by redjaguar100
hey brutal..

Maybe i got lucky and k&n issued mine as a match set. I purchased them directly from k&n shortly after they introduced the filters for the xf. A lot of what you said sounds logical. I'm also wondering if it makes a difference between the supercharged engine vs n/a engine.. The supercharged engine sucks more air in even at idle as oppose to the n/a motor.
no, only sucks in more air under boost, otherwise its a normal 5litre (not exactly the same but you know what i meen)

Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Okay the bulleting is jtb00161 back in 2009 and sc xf's only r00019-r47153 after that all came from the factory in matched sets. The issue is with imbalances greater than 2.5kg/hr. Between the l/r mafs. If its closer than that your okay
greater than it"may" cause rough idle, and misfires on cold starts

Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Why use K&N at all? A supercharged engine doesn't benefit at all from them. The supercharger can deliver more pressure than the engine can use already.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What Jagular said...

If you must install a performance air filter (which again doesn't make any performance sense on a car that can compress its own air via the supercharger) only use a dry filter that doesn't use oil.

Fujita Filters were the mod to have on my G35

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 PM

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the risk doesn't outweigh the reward of the 1-3 hp gain. The funny thing is they still can't figure out what went "wrong", but I'm probably going to pull them out and put the stock filters back in anyway.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Might I add it started smoking after my first run on the dyno (Dyno Dynamics). The first run was 395hp at the wheels and then we stopped to troubleshoot what could be causing the smoke. At this point no check engine light. After about 15 minutes of us talking through everything, we gave it another run and hit 408hp before it just completely took a dump on us and the check engine light came on. The car still ran, but felt like it was all motor and was still smoking (like if you just put on a new exhaust), so I elected to have it towed on a flatbed to the dealership. Glad it happened during the first run because I was in the process of getting a new pulley getting the ECU tuned. I'll probably wait a bit before getting that done just to make sure this doesn't crop back up.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

395 and 408 are low dyno numbers something is wrong. Are those SAE corrected? My XF Supercharged did 435 uncorrected and 448 corrected at the wheels. Your XFR should put down the same +/- 5%

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jlocc619
Might I add it started smoking after my first run on the dyno (Dyno Dynamics). The first run was 395hp at the wheels and then we stopped to troubleshoot what could be causing the smoke. At this point no check engine light. After about 15 minutes of us talking through everything, we gave it another run and hit 408hp before it just completely took a dump on us and the check engine light came on.
Ahem ... just a minor detail that has no bearing on the situation whatsoever ... right?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
Maybe I got lucky and K&N issued mine as a match set.
Impossible with a filter that you have to oil manually.

There is no way you are going to be able to oil them exactly the same.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
395 and 408 are low dyno numbers something is wrong. Are those SAE corrected? My XF Supercharged did 435 uncorrected and 448 corrected at the wheels. Your XFR should put down the same +/- 5%
He said Dyno Dynamics dynos will read 15% lower than other dynos on avg.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Ahem ... just a minor detail that has no bearing on the situation whatsoever ... right?
Well, yeah, it shouldn't have a bearing on this situation. Plenty of people put there unmodified vehicles on dynos with no issues. The only thing I could think of is the MAF not liking the new filters. Dyno or not, I wouldn't expect to have this issue, but am going to go back to stock filters to test.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Doesn't the XF motor use liquid to air intercoolers? If so, white smoke may indicate that coolant is leaking into the intake from the intercooler somewhere, coolant connection?

Quick Reply: White smoke after installing K&N filters-2010 XFR