XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

White smoke after installing K&N filters-2010 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Doesn't the XF motor use liquid to air intercoolers? If so, white smoke may indicate that coolant is leaking into the intake from the intercooler somewhere, coolant connection?
That's what we thought initially, but no sweet smell. The weirdest part about it is after dropping it off at Jaguar it has since stopped smoking and they can't find anything wrong. I'm supposed to find out today if the engineers in New Jersey were able to make anything out of the codes it gave off. Like I said, I'm going to go back to stock filters and run the car as normal for a couple weeks before doing the pulley/flash mods to make sure it was just a fluke thing. After really thinking about it hard for the last few days I'm thinking it's the filters. I went by Jag yesterday to see my car and started it up and everything was normal, so as long as their techs say I'm good I won't argue with them.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Just spoke with my service advisor and he said the air filter and MAF readings are coming back fine, so maybe I'll leave my K&Ns on now. However, 12 days prior to this smoke issue cropping up I did get my oil changed and mentioned feeling a rough cycle when idling. They added BG44k, BG206, and pressure cleaned the intake. This normally causes smoke at the onset, but 12 days later smoking like an '84 Nova that failed emissions? Maybe since the dyno was peaking my car's performance it started burning off any leftover/loose carbon deposits? I'm grasping at straws here, and so far everything is coming back with the thumbs up on the various file uploads the engineers in New Jersey are asking for.

The best part about it is I elected to finally get my rims powder coated since they've had the car so long (since last Friday). According to my service advisor I should be able to get my car back tonight or early tomorrow, so I'll update my profile with a pic and be an OFFICIAL member then!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Direct injected motors are known for carbon deposits because there isn't fuel spraying down the head ports on the valves. I'm not sure on the Jag specific DI motors but I'd suspect the same thing.

I suppose some carbon could break loose but in my opinion it's unlikely it would be enough to smoke the place out. Maybe there is some odd chance that the intake had some left over fluid in it that was finally blown through with the WOT run. I'd say unlikely but you never know I guess. You'd think any fluid would get pushed through or be evaporated after a few heat cycles.

Are they doing WOT runs to replicate it?

I run BG44K in my gas every couple of months. I do get a slight smoke output at WOT but I've always attributed it to a supercharged car running rich like they are supposed to. It isn't a big cloud just a small puff when I hammer it.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 10-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Direct injected motors are known for carbon deposits because there isn't fuel spraying down the head ports on the valves. I'm not sure on the Jag specific DI motors but I'd suspect the same thing.

I suppose some carbon could break loose but in my opinion it's unlikely it would be enough to smoke the place out. Maybe there is some odd chance that the intake had some left over fluid in it that was finally blown through with the WOT run. I'd say unlikely but you never know I guess. You'd think any fluid would get pushed through or be evaporated after a few heat cycles.

Are they doing WOT runs to replicate it?

I run BG44K in my gas every couple of months. I do get a slight smoke output at WOT but I've always attributed it to a supercharged car running rich like they are supposed to. It isn't a big cloud just a small puff when I hammer it.
As long as they get the file uploads signed off on they will test drive it when the rims come back from powder coating. I will make sure they give her a little gas before I take the keys back, that is for sure.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

So I am not to pick a fight with anyone who has commented I will not go into detail on how many wrong answers or statements that were made in this thread,

But I can say if any of you caught a glimpse of the new 2013 XF/XFR's you will see right away that there is 2 changes under the hood. Jaguar updated to a new MAF meters and they also put a foam tube around that long black plastic breather hose that runs along the firewall that rattled on the engine cover and firewall.Soon as Adam Corrolla popped his hood on the first britsh racing green 2013 XF-R in America I seen those 2 changes. The car was in NJ so I just happen to be local to see it.

I wonder what other changes were made if any?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Okay the bulleting is jtb00161 back in 2009 and sc xf's only r00019-r47153 after that all came from the factory in matched sets. The issue is with imbalances greater than 2.5kg/hr. Between the l/r mafs. If its closer than that your okay
greater than it"may" cause rough idle, and misfires on cold starts
You jinxed me! I had a CEL P010B pop yesterday. Code: Mass or Volume Air Flow "B" Circuit Range/Performance. I removed both intake boxes and cleaned them out. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I put it all back together and now this morning the light is gone...