XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rough Tickover and Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Sorry, came into this a bit late.
I can't see that you've removed the oil pan.
If a tensioner has broken up you may have bits in the strainer and oil pickup pipe.
This has resulted in Great Badness for some members and, although it's a pain, I'd suggest pulling off the oil pan.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
RJ- If you ever decide to do the cams "right", I will lend you the tools for a fee similar to(or exactly like) a cheap six pack.
I would be interested in borrowing or renting the tools required for the full tensioner job.
Poor Texas EE with a broken 2001 XK8.
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 AM
daG
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OBDll MIL and DTC Code Errors

Although no longer directly related to my original problem I thought that I would post following for your info and any feedback. I will also start a separate thread on this.

Taking Red October's advice I bought a cheap Autel Maxiscan MS300 OBDll Code Reader to check/resetstored DTC’s and MIL.

14.05.13 (1st Scan), and not surprisingly found a series ofDTC’s, which having checked against Code Lists identify as follows:

PO300, Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

PO305, 6, 7 & 8, Cylinder(s) 5, 6 , 7 & 8 Misfiring (Bank B)

P1316 Misfire Excess Emission

PO102, MAF or VAF A Circuit Low Input

PO112, IAT Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input

PO128, Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp

PO332, Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

PO101, MAF or VAF A Circuit Range/Performance

And of course

P1111, showing drive cycle complete.

Most of these seemed related to secondary chain problem, but wasn’t sureabout PO101, PO102, PO112, and PO128. However, as engine was running nicelydecided to reset and see what if anything repeated, either immediately or afterdrive cycle completed.

Then drove for about 225 miles, a mix of heavy traffic and highway shortjourneys, still running very smoothly, and MIL came back on.

Plugged in OBDll Code Reader and had following DTC’s.

PO420, Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

PO430, Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

P1000, showing drive cycle incomplete

Worried I may have damaged Cat’s with initial bad combustion and subsequentoil burn off, but after a bit of thought wonder if Mass and Volume Air Flow PO101and 102 Codes originally pulled could be contributing.

Although these haven’t repeated I don’t know whether they would only showup after drive cycle completed.

Also not sure what impact Intake Air Temp (PO112) could have.

Rechecked codes with same results, but PO1638 added. Tried to check exactmeaning but this gets a little confusing. It seems to be related to informationoutput processing wiring/connectors/modules.

Tried to start engine which caused warning beeps and dashboard readout errormessages for Low Brake Fluid, ASC Not Available, Gearbox Fault, and FailsafeEngine Mode!

After a brief panic I switched everything off, left it for a while andthen retested with same results.

I then reset the codes, left the engine switched off for a while andretested after several minutes. MIL and DTC’s all reset and no apparent problem.

I wonder if I could have confusing the system by trying to scan withengine switched off (which I know I did at this point) and after realisingswitched on and got this code?

If this repeats is it worth trying battery hard reset to discharge any residualcapacitive memory?

In fact on that point is it worth refreshing the whole system by doingthis anyway?

As always all wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated.
John

Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member

Get your battery tested.
Random crazy codes are usually due to low battery voltage.
Don't forget about the possible oil pickup blockage.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 AM
daG

Thanks Steve,
I should have had courtesy to reply to your previous post, my apologies.

I managed to salvage all secondary tensioner parts (top plate had broken of in one piece) with nothing obviously missing.

However I am doing oil change shortly and will drop sump pan then to check nothing nasty lurking there.

Will also check battery as recommended.
Regards,

John

Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by jagman1
I would be interested in borrowing or renting the tools required for the full tensioner job.
Poor Texas EE with a broken 2001 XK8.
Thanks.
G'day Jagman1....as one old fart to another....you can hire the timing tools from this fellow:

JAGUAR V8 TIMING ALIGHMENT TOOL SET,2000-2008 S TYPE items in CHRISTOPHER'S FOREIGN CAR PARTS store on eBay!

Plus all the other bits and pieces necessary for the job.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daG
Thanks Steve,
I should have had courtesy to reply to your previous post, my apologies.

I managed to salvage all secondary tensioner parts (top plate had broken of in one piece) with nothing obviously missing.

However I am doing oil change shortly and will drop sump pan then to check nothing nasty lurking there.

Will also check battery as recommended.
Regards,

John
John,
That's good news, as you say unlikely you'll get a fatal clog up.
You can do the Jaguar battery test yourself if you've got a DVM - either don't run the car for 24 hrs or leave the headlights on for a couple of minutes with the engine off + wait 10 minutes.
Check battery voltage which should be no less than 12.5.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM
daG

Thanks Steve,

I believe that I should be seeing at least 12.5v on no load with max 30mA draw off after about an hour, and minimum 14.5v whilst charging with engine running.

Per Xjay8 suggestion on my dedicated post I will also clean Throttle Body and MAF with dedicated cleaner as well as try fuel system and Cat cleaners, before giving it all a good blow through on a longer run.

Will update further if I identify anything interesting.

John

Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

the P430's are a sign of worn O2 sensors, usually flag a CEL when coming off gas on a run on the highway, they're sensitive 'service items', like spark plugs they wear out. Nothing to be concerned about, just change them when you can.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner? It you do, then a hard reset will sort new fueling maps and a base to start getting good gas mileage you can note - the cleaning is part of a regime for all AJ engines found in the XK8 forum sticky, it includes doing the part load breather too. Worth a read thru.

Some OBD readers interfere with the can-bus and will flag a can-bus error code, mine makes the display show 'electrical fault' when I plug it in - it all sounds OK to me, just put some decent miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
daG (05-27-2013)